advertisement

Thread: Film on Banting and Best?

Default Film on Banting and Best?

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good documentary film about the story of Banting and Best's discovery of insulin? I think the CBC made/broadcast a fictionalized sort of docu-drama about the discover, but I'm looking for an actual documentary film, anyone have any leads?
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

I looked for the availability of this movie a few months ago, and came up empty. PBS supposedly did a documentary on it as well - whether or not it merely ran the CBC docudrama or not I'm not sure.

I just did another search and found these two links of interest:

http://www.discoveryofinsulin.com/Movies.htm

"Glory Enough for All"

The real-life drama behind the discovery of insulin in the early 1920s is a richly textured tale of human frailty and ambition. Banting, Best, Macleod and Collip undertake the research and isolate the substance that will save Elizabeth's life and that of thousands of other diabetics.
    This dramatic mini-series originally aired on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation television network. Filmed in the late 1980's, Glory Enough For All tells the story of the trial and triumph of a group of Canadian researchers striving towards The Discovery of Insulin. Canadian actor R.H. Thompson played the role of Dr. Frederick Grant Banting.
    Sadly, Glory Enough for All is no longer on sale. It is not available. However, a film group is considering a new, less costly, shorter, production similar to the Glory Enough for All movie. It will foster diabetes awareness and education. Please send us a message if you are interested in this movie. Suggestions on content and the story line would be most welcome. Send a message to: e-mail

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also found that someone has posted this series of movie clips (all around 9 minutes in length) on YouTube - not sure if it's the CBC movie or not. Will look at it later but post the link here now:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...335503FC4E2D8E

Hope that helps!
    ~ Wendy ~
    Wife to a Good Man and Mom to Seven Way Cool Kids, Ages 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 6, 4
    Elizabeth, DX'd 5/26/09 - Type 1 at age seven

Pinging Blue 11/9/10
    Dexcom Seven Plus 6/15/11
    Dexcom G4 7/31/13

"The Story of Insulin" from dLife TV.. http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/inform...f_insulin.html

You may be able to get a DVD copy or something somehow, I don't know for sure..
    Sarah T1 dx @ 20 (10/2000)
    mom to 3 non-D kids (6, 8, & 13)
    PINGing Apidra,
    with the occasional help of Dexcom

Quote Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
    "The Story of Insulin" from dLife TV.. http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/inform...f_insulin.html

You may be able to get a DVD copy or something somehow, I don't know for sure..
    Yes! I was just about to post about this resource as well and you beat me to it! This is a short but very well done and comprehensive video about the story of insulin.
    ~ Wendy ~
    Wife to a Good Man and Mom to Seven Way Cool Kids, Ages 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 6, 4
    Elizabeth, DX'd 5/26/09 - Type 1 at age seven

Pinging Blue 11/9/10
    Dexcom Seven Plus 6/15/11
    Dexcom G4 7/31/13

Thanks, Wendy
    Yes, "Glory" is the one I was thinking of - I haven't seen it, but I have read that it was good ... I'll have to see if our library has it. Thanks again!
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

Glory Enough for All is on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFigJWU_Xwo

Rella, mom to Brendan -- 14-yrs-old, dx'd March '08 at 8 years old
    Navigator CGM: 11/08 to 1/11
    Dexcom CGM since 2/11, G4 as of 10/12
    OmniPod since 7/09

Help Cure Childhood Diabetes
    Facebook

Thanks, Sarah. I took a peak - looks like just what I'm search for.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

the one from dlife will bring you to tears (and has the images of the mom-child-starvation)