advertisement
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicken Pox Vac and Type 1 Diabetes

Haven't heard of the Chicken Pox connection.

Of my 6 children, Melissa had a reaction to the MMR. It was significant enough for the ped to recommend delaying her other immunizations for a while. She was dx with D about 6 years later. Any connection? Who really knows? But it is a scary thought.
    GA Gov. Deal signs Diabetes Care in School Law

Elissa, and Larry 33 years!
    Melissa - 14 (diagnosed 01/03/07)
    Non D-Bethany 26, Allen 24, AJ 20, Christina 13, Leah 9
    Grammy to Isaac - 4
    Pumping with Animas PING -Blue

Find me on Facebook @ : http://www.facebook.com/elissa.holder

My kids both had the chicken pox, I think they were 2 and 3 (this was the late 90's - my kids may be a tad older than some of yours). Pediatrician did not recommend the vaccine, as at that time they didnt know how long it would last...so, they both ended up with chicken pox contracted in day care! My son was covered from head to toe, my daughter only about 25 pox. Who really knows, no one knows for sure what causes this, but hopefully, in the near future we will have the answer and the cure.

Kathy, Mom to
    Vincent - 16 1/2 ... dx'd 12/26/09 - MDI Humalog/Lantus (LOVES baseball);
    Jessica - 17 1/2... non-d, (girls track, girls fastpitch, student athletic trainer for all sports);
    wife to Jack

FWIW, my son with D did not get the chicken pox vaccine, and still got D.
    He had chicken pox last year.

So many hypothesis...
    Mom to 2 boys (6 & 8), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

Brandi didn't get the chicken pox vaccine. She got the chicken pox when she was 4 and wasnt diagnosed for 11 more years...

So there is no connection in our case.
    Amber
    Mom to Brandi - age 18, diagnosed 11/4/09
    Pumping as of 05/10/10 with a GREEN PING
    First A1C since pump start - 6.2
    Our walk shirt logo

The only vaccination that I know the manufacturer has listed Diabetes Mellitus as an adverse reaction is Merck for their MMRII.

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_.../mmr_ii_pi.pdf

It's on page 7 under Adverse Reactions

I excerpted a portion of page 7 below: bolding is mine

"M-M-R
    ? II (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Virus Vaccine Live) 9912201

Geriatric Use
    Clinical studies of M-M-R
    II did not include sufficient numbers of seronegative subjects aged 65 and over to determine whether they respond differently from younger subjects. Other reported clinical experience has not identified differences in responses between the elderly and younger subjects.

ADVERSE REACTIONS
    The following adverse reactions are listed in decreasing order of severity, without regard to causality, within each body system category and have been reported during clinical trials, with use of the marketed vaccine, or with use of monovalent or bivalent vaccine containing measles, mumps, or rubella:
    Body as a Whole
    Panniculitis; atypical measles; fever; syncope; headache; dizziness; malaise; irritability.
    Cardiovascular System
    Vasculitis.
    Digestive System
    Pancreatitis; diarrhea; vomiting; parotitis; nausea.
    Endocrine System
    Diabetes mellitus
    Hemic and Lymphatic System
    Thrombocytopenia (see WARNINGS,
    Thrombocytopenia); purpura; regional lymphadenopathy;
    leukocytosis.

Immune System
    Anaphylaxis and anaphylactoid reactions have been reported as well as related phenomena such as angioneurotic edema (including peripheral or facial edema) and bronchial spasm in individuals with or without an allergic history.
    Musculoskeletal System
    Arthritis; arthralgia; myalgia.

...."

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    No one knows what causes Type 1 diabetes. No one will be able to say for sure what (if anything) is linked to it. It is all just speculation.
    If there was such a strong correlation and the vaccine CAUSED D, it would be pulled from the market.

Yes, vaccines are an assualt on the immune system and that can trigger it.

As for vax's no one can MAKE you get it, they make it seem that way, but you can certainly opt out
    Analisa---mom to
    Sam age 12 dx 1/18/06, pumping minimed since 11/06 CGMS 6/08
    Natalie age 7, non D who is a self proclaimed D expert
    Sophia Bella almost 3 and as spoiled as can be

Quote Originally Posted by wilf View Post
    Oh good, another pointless and speculative thread to make parents feel guilty..
    Sorry, Wilf I didn't mean to offend or upset you. I wanted some information because at one time, I know I saw it on here. I WAS NOT trying to make people feel guilty.

This is why I rarely post and just read.
    Watch about our school discrimination video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sosy28LE4Do

Hunter's video story
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnJsm8vqLJs

Kathy
    Mom to Hunter, age 12 dx'd 1 month before his 8th b'day 8/23/04 and dx'd with thyroid disease April 08
    Cozmo May 2006-2008
    MM Real Time CGMS April 08[/COLOR
    ]
    Mom to Katie, age 9 and non-diabetic

I found no studies in PubMed that suggested a link between the vaccine however, there are 2 studies that suggest a correlation between actual viral infections (chicken pox and other infectious diseases) and diabetes which suggests (in my opinion - not the studies) that there's an increased risk with not vaccinating.

As for the Merc insert the Adverse Reactions on all medications are pretty conservative and shouldn't be considered as causal. For example, I would wager a vast majority of medications list headache, diarrhea, vomiting and fever.

I think you are probably thinking of measles? And I think the reason the vaccine manufacturer says there is a possible link to type 1 is that there is a potential link between getting measles and getting type 1, so the idea is that introducing the virus in a vaccine could be a trigger, too.

Very speculative.

We pick and choose our vaccines, and never received chicken pox. I think it's a bad idea to get it for other reasons (some religious, but also because it is not shown to last more than 10 years so since chicken pox is more dangerous in older kids and adults it seems like a bad idea to protect my kid from getting it when she's 5 and then she has no immunity built up when she's 30 and has forgotten to booster).

It seems reasonable to see a link between the ramping up of immunization programs and the dramatic rise of auto-immune conditions. The "there, there, we know best" attitude of some med bureaucrats tends to make me feel we cannot necessarily trust information about vaccines, the info passed on is usually agenda-driven from one direction or another. That said, I've seen nothing that makes me believe type 1 or any other specific condition is "caused" by vaccinations. At best, I imagine a vaccine might be one in a set of factors.

Seems to me that each mom needs to examine the information she has, the sources she trusts, and her priorities for her family and make a decision tailored for her family. (Dads too, of course).

As for the guilt thing, I think the only way to avoid having speculative threads make you feel guilty is to decide not to feel guilty. Personally, I don't really get why I would feel bad about giving my kid a vaccine I thought was good for her, or not breastfeeding if I thought it was best for us, and then it turned out there was some kind of link. You do the best you can with what you know. Now, it would be different if I, for example, chose to do crack while pregnant and fully knew it was risking problems for the baby and wanted it and did it anyway. If there is selfishness to a decision, I should feel guilty for that no matter what the outcome. But if I made a decision for my family with my child's and family's best interest at heart, I should never feel guilty for that, no matter the outcome. There's a difference between being morally culpable (and therefore guilt comes into play) and being simply mistaken (no blame, no guilt, just life).

Quote Originally Posted by swellman View Post
    I found no studies in PubMed that suggested a link between the vaccine however, there are 2 studies that suggest a correlation between actual viral infections (chicken pox and other infectious diseases) and diabetes which suggests (in my opinion - not the studies) that there's an increased risk with not vaccinating.

As for the Merc insert the Adverse Reactions on all medications are pretty conservative and shouldn't be considered as causal. For example, I would wager a vast majority of medications list headache, diarrhea, vomiting and fever.
    Seems like if it turns out that my body having a mistaken autoimmune reaction to a virus triggers Type 1 then getting the vaccine would cause the same mistaken reaction and be a trigger, also.

I think that's the point of vaccination, right? To start your body's own immune system into play?

So the idea here would be that, if pox were somehow a trigger, that kids who get pox get triggered (when they have a predisposition), kids who get vaccinated get triggered, and kids who get neither don't get triggered.

Not that this proves a correlation, but that would be the thinking -- I think that's why there's a warning on the MMR labels, I don't think they've studied whether the vaccine is linked, they've just seen some link with the disease itself.