advertisement
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hypothyroid & diabetes

Default Goiters and diabetes run in my family too

I have type 1 diabetes. I was diagnosed with a goiter (hyperthyroidism) at the same time. At first they incorrectly diagnosed me as type 2 diabetes, gave me pills and told me to come back in 3 months (despite a fasting sugar of 300 mg/dL). A year later the goiter was so enlarged it made it difficult to swallow certain foods and pills (by this time I was already on MDI). So I had to have my whole thyroid removed and now I take Armour thyroid every day. Goiters run in my family on my dad's side. Two people on my mom's side have type 2 diabetes but they don't do anything about it (they think they are cured since they lost a bunch of weight). My mom has cancer and her other brother died of cancer last year. My mom's friend from high school has lupus. My sister doesn't have any auto immune diseases yet that I know of.
    Erika Roe
    @erikaroe
    Type 1 diabetes since 7/28/2004
    Pumping with MM 723 Revel + CGM

I believe that thyroid issues and diabetes are definately connected based on books and experiences. I am the mom with Hypothyroidism(gland removed in childhood) and my daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 at 11years. I am starting to think, after much reading, that people with autoimmune issues are on a downward spiral unless we make some radical lifestyle changes to help compensate and POSSIBLY delay or prevent new issues like RA, Lupus, Celiac, etc. I am considering the veggie juice fast for 14 to 30 days and a maintenance program after that. I am getting desperate. It sounds logical and my gut says it will be a good move. Anyone else want to give it a try?

I was diagnosed with type 1 and graves (hyperthyroidism) at around the same time (5 yrs old). My doctor belives that I was born with graves, but didn't start to show until later.

My DD is now 10 and was dx with T1 at 30 months, and hypothyroidism a year later. when she was 7, she developed Evan's Syndrome, another autoimmune condition in which the body attacks the red blood cells and platelets and sometimes white blood cells. The ES has been in remission for about 7 months, but it was HARD getting it there.
    LIBBY homeschooling mama to:
    Ella age 11 Dx T1 at 30 months (2/9/04). Hypothyroidism 4 years. Asthma 6 years. Evan's Syndrome 7 years. Celiac 10 years
    Pumping with purple minimed since 9/07
    Caleb age 8
    Nick, age 6 ADHD, SPD, PTSD and mood disorder NOS (probable bipolar disorder)
    Lydia, age 5 SPD
    Adam, age 3 Allergic to everything
    Linnea-Claire, age 22 months

Funny! I get "phantom illnesses" from my healthy children too!
    LIBBY homeschooling mama to:
    Ella age 11 Dx T1 at 30 months (2/9/04). Hypothyroidism 4 years. Asthma 6 years. Evan's Syndrome 7 years. Celiac 10 years
    Pumping with purple minimed since 9/07
    Caleb age 8
    Nick, age 6 ADHD, SPD, PTSD and mood disorder NOS (probable bipolar disorder)
    Lydia, age 5 SPD
    Adam, age 3 Allergic to everything
    Linnea-Claire, age 22 months

6. Default Hypothyroid

I'm hypothyroid as are both of my sisters, my nephew is very gluten intolerant ( possibly a variant of celiacs, but no one knows for sure) one of my sisters has lupus. My daughter is type 1 but negative for thyroid disease so far.
    The first question the admitting physician asked when we were admitting our newly dx daughter to the hospital was " Is there any thyroid disease in the family?"
    It struck me as odd at the time.
    Now it makes more sense.

I havent read all the posts but on my DH's side we my MIL has thyroid, and RA, my SIL has thyroid, RA. my BIL has Type 1. On my side my sister has graves disease (just diagnosed this summer) My great Aunt had graves. We have type 2 all over my family but I know that is usually weight related.
    Jennie Mom to 3 kids
    Ben 1/11/02
    Taylor 1/24/04 Type 1 diagnosed 6/13/11pumping pink ping 4/2
    Brianna 7/23/06

I have Hashimoto's and my middle son is Type 1. He also has antibodies already for Hashimoto's. We keep a close eye on things since he already has antibodies. I also have had several hypoglycemic episodes 30s and 40s(i was able to test when I felt shaky using the ctrl setting on my son's pump)but, I have not been diagnosed with diabetes. I asked my Endo about my lows and he just shook his head. I also tried vegetarianism on and off for 2 years and according to my blood work, my Hashimoto's is not active. My numbers look better than when I was on Synthroid! If my son's antibodies start elevating, I will definitely talk to him about trying to adjust his diet. It might be hard seeing how he isn't a big veggie kid and I am more of a carbivore that straight vegetarian.

9. Default

if A person with hypothyroidism and she Would marry with Healthy man What percent of possible they son will be diabetic
    Last edited by louxman; 02-04-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by louxman View Post
    if A person with hypothyroidism and she Would marry with Healthy man What percent of possible they son will be diabetic
    I have no idea. I have no heard anything about a connection between someone with hypothyroidism automatically having children with diabetes. I don't think there is such a connection. However, if there are autoimmune diseases in one or both sides of the family, there can be the possibility of the children inheriting those genes and having some kind of autoimmune disease, or there may not be, so can't really answer that.
    Mom to 2 boys (8 & 10), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams