advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is ISIG????

Question What is ISIG????

Ryan has been on the MM real time sensor for a little over a week now. I saw someone mention on another thread about looking at the ISIG...I was wondering if somebody could explain to me what that is? Thanks a bunch in advance
    Lori
    Mom of Ryan (13) Tyler (11) and Nicole (9)
    Ryan dx'd 11/11/1998 ((just two days after his 2nd birthday)
    Pumping since 11/2003
    charcoal Minimed 722

MM CGM-Real time sensor since 3/2010

If you use the ESC arrow to look at the sensor status screen (the one that tells you the age of the sensor), you will see a line that says "ISIG" and then a number. What that number is is the "raw" number that the sensor reports to the receiver. When you calibrate, the formula in the receiver converts that raw number to a BG reading. So say the ISIG is 15.45 and you tell it in a calibration that BG is 150. It then knows that when it gets an ISIG reading of 15.45, it is equal to a 150 BG. Your calibration factor is roughly 10. (10 x ISIG = BG)

Once the sensor is established, your calibration factor says roughly the same over the life of that sensor. If you look at ISIG alone, you can multiply it by your calibration factor and arrive at BG pretty closely.

All that being said, we use ISIG in a couple of situations. If it comes time to calibrate and it's a bad time - BG moving fast, or he just ate, or he's really high or low, I definitely don't want to go ahead and cal. So I lose readings until I can do so. Bummer, right? Well, if you know your calibration factor, you can still get a pretty good idea of what BG is by looking at that and multiplying by your cal factor.

The other way we use ISIG is to tell during a 2 hour warm up whether it's a good time to cal. I look at ISIG and then look at it 10 minutes later. If it's pretty steady, I know BG is pretty steady and I calibrate.

The final way we use ISIG is to tell when a sensor is dying. Once ISIG drops really low, or your calibration factor changes significantly, chances are, your sensor is done.

So that's kind of ISIG in a nutshell.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

Great Explanation of ISIG!!! We find it very useful too.
    Son dx 2007, Pumping 2007
    Cgms 2008 Minimed Revel Pump 2010
    6mm Mios

Here is some more info on the ISIG...
    CGMS Calibration
    Dad to Leah and Anna, married to Pam
    Leah is 16, dx 1/1/2007 at age 8. Omnipod since 2007, Guardian CGM 2007-2013, Dexcom G4 2007-present. Sang the National Anthem at the 2013 JDRF Walk!

CGMS Calibration - DCCT: The Study That Forever Changed Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Improved Glycemic Control in T1 children Using Real-Time CGMS

5. Default

Also at time for calibration you can figure out what is the highest and lowest blood sugar you can put in. for instance if you ISIG is 10. to find out the lowest BS you can put in you X by 5, so the lowest blood sugar you can put in is 50. To find the highest blood sugar you can put in you X by 20. so the highest Blood sugar you can put in is 200.
    Jillian Mom to:
    Katelynn-7
    Loren-2- DX 1/18/09 Pumping Pink with MM523(novolog) and CGMs
    http://jilleighn.livejournal.com/

Thanks for all your help. It sounds kind of confusing right now (since Ryan is at school and I can't see his pump) but when he gets home I'll try and figure this out. I think I understand for the most part.
    Darryl--I read that you wait 2 hours to hook up the transmitter to the site, am I correct? Our trainer said to wait 10 minutes for it to get wet, why do you wait 2 hours? I'm just trying to understand why.
    Thanks so much for your help...I'm a newbie at this CGM thing.
    Lori
    Pumping since 11/2003
    charcoal Minimed 722

What are typically normal ISIG numbers??? What are your kids'???
    Lori
    Pumping since 11/2003
    charcoal Minimed 722

Quote Originally Posted by LJS118 View Post
    What are typically normal ISIG numbers??? What are your kids'???
    Well, it depends, but I've seen ISIGs on a normally operating sensor that are anywhere from 6-52. The majority of the time they're more in the 9-25 range. A very low ISIG usually means that a sensor is dying.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

Thanks for all the help. I just changed his sensor, waiting to hook up the transmitter, and now I'm going to follow all the suggestions and hopefully get some good calibrations in there. Wish me luck!
    Lori
    Pumping since 11/2003
    charcoal Minimed 722

Question Did I do this Right??????

Okay...so this morning his ISIG was 19.75
    His actual blood sugar was 124
    The sensor said his glucose level was 117
    So according to the formula you guys gave me, from now on I just need to multiply each ISIG by 6 and I should get the actual blood sugar...IS THIS RIGHT????
    Lori
    Pumping since 11/2003
    charcoal Minimed 722