advertisement
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How discrete are you giving shots/tesing in public?

Default How discrete are you giving shots/tesing in public?

Brandi rarely tries to HIDE it when she gives her shots or tests in public places, but both of us have noticed people looking at us like I'm letting her do drugs at the dinner table or something.

Only a couple times has she gone to the ladies room to do it.

So do you hide it or just do it?
    Amber
    Mom to Brandi - age 18, diagnosed 11/4/09
    Pumping as of 05/10/10 with a GREEN PING
    First A1C since pump start - 6.2
    Our walk shirt logo

Follow her lead and just do it. Ignore the gawkers. Danielle is younger and can be shy at times, so she will want me to be as discreet as I can in public, but we almost always just do it right at the table.
    Last edited by Christopher; 03-19-2010 at 08:47 AM.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 15 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Novolog and Levemir)

I never tried to hide it but I also never made a big deal of it. I try to respect others around me when giving my son a shot. Not too flamboyant about it but just discreet enough to get the job done. I have never taken my son to the bathroom for a shot but we do teach him about being descreet whenever possible. Sometimes it works, other times it does not. People are going to stare at times, I just try to ignore it.
    Shannon, mom to:

Ben, Non-d 14 yrs old.

Sam, dx@15mo. Now 12 yrs old, currently pumping with t-slim .

Jamie, 3 years old.

not very. Lil really does not have a care if other people see or watch and if she does feel odd then she just turns herself from someone watching.
    Mostly she uses these times to instruct people anyway about Type 1 and lately how it differs from Type 2.
    Allene- mom to 2 great children
    Lillian- born 8/18/99, D 9/26/06, OmniPod
    6/07, Dexcom 12/07
    Arthur- born 12/07/2004 Non D
    Joshua -hubbie, great father and best friend

Quote by Hank the Cowdog, " It could be worse. Think of the wind, it always blows."

I agree, follow her lead and if she's comfortable in public, that's fantastic! What I tried to instill in Cameron from the time he was first dx'd was to not be ashamed of his D. He'll whip out his meter anywhere, but is a little more discreet with taking his shot, which I completely understand.
    ~Christina
    My son is 15, dx'd 10/03/06
    Omnipod and Dexcom G4

It depends on where we are and who's around and her mood at that particular moment.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Gracie doesn't care who sees her checking her BG yet, I think we are on the cusp of that age, but with shots she gets "funny" and wants privacy, so I honor that. I don't care who gawks and stares as long as she doesn't care. If it bothers them, they can look away!!!
    Diane, celiac (2/11), Mom to Gracie T1D, 11, dx 4/08. Animas Ping 10/08-5/11. Dexcom 6/09-6/11. Purple MM Revel with CGMS since 5/11. Also with multiple food allergies and GI dysfunction. Also mom to Tyler, 15 (ADD) and Austin, 12 (ASD, ADD). Happily married for 17 years.

We just do it. When I was doing MDI I would get some looks when I whipped out the needle and was flicking it, etc. but I didn't care. Now with the pump it's much less noticable.

Tiffanie
    Mom to:
    Zackary, age 11, non-D
    Travis, age 9, diagnosed 2-19-09 at 7 years old BLUE Pumper MM 522 June 2009
    Kylie, age 7, diagnosed 5-15-08 at 4 yrs old PINK!! Pumper MM 522 March 2009

My blog

We do Caleb's checks and shots right at the table. I feel that my son shouldn't have to go into the restroom to do what he needs to do to stay alive, or 'hide' it because it makes some people uncomfortable. They don't have to watch. Sorry if that sounds rude, but that's the way I feel about it.
    Mom to Caleb-dx'd T1D on April 11, 2009.

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    "A little bit longer and I'll be fine."

other people have the option of looking away, these kids don't have the option of avoiding tests and shots. So we just do it. I discovered this trick while nursing in public, if someone stares, just stare right back with a blank look. They'll usually look away.

Alison, mama to Tony (6 years old), diagnosed 5/10/07 at 20 months old on MDI, lantus and novolog. He also has hypotonia and developmental delays
    Gemma Lynn 9/04/08-tested for trialnet 8/10 results negative