advertisement

Thread: Tackle Football, CGMS, Pump, and all day conditioning camps

Default Tackle Football, CGMS, Pump, and all day conditioning camps

Carson signed up for tackle football for the first time this year. They have a couple of weeks of all day conditioning I believe.

What do kids do with the pump and CGMS while playing football? I think we can handle disconnecting for the normal 2 hour practices and games, but I'm thinking about these 6 hour/day conditioning weeks in the summer. No way am I going to stay for 6 hours and watch the Navigator......

Any advice? How do you make up for missed basal after 2 hours when you still have 4 hours of practice left in the heat? Without going low?
    Brenda, dx'd type 1 6/07 at age 30 while in the TrialNet research study. MDI Lantus and Novolog, Celiac (3/07).
    Mom to Carson, age 13, dx'd at 9 months. Cozmo (1/05) Navigator (3/09), Dexcom (8/10), currently on T-Slim (4/13)
    And Mom to Henry (nond), age 10, training for the US 2024 Mens Gymnastic Team

I would bet that the conditioning won't be all day long. Most states do not allow that for school-based programs, and virtually no private league will. Probably he'll have a 2 hour practice in the morning, and another in the afternoon. Generally these activities are regulated by age. I could be wrong, but I bet they won't be all day conditioning activities.

In the league where I am a referee, there are 2 kids with type 1 that drink Gatorade through the game and do pretty well.
    Type 1 Diabetic since 2001. Minimed 722 with Novolog and CGMS.

Dad of Emma, age 9, diagnosed at 9 months pumping with MM REVEL CGMS and Novolog. She also has been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Glomerular Nephritis, Multiple-Autoimmune Complex, along with lots of other stuff that makes doctors shrug and say "I dunno."

Brenden, aka "Rhino" age 14. Starting tailback for Clovis Freshman Academy (had to say it).

Husband of Emmasmom.
    www.toosweetboutique.net

Quote Originally Posted by Brensdad View Post
    In the league where I am a referee,....
    Are you BLIND ref!?!

(Just getting you ready for the season)
    Bennet

Two older non diabetic kids. Two younger w T1.
    The Boy, dob 93 dx 10/03 Animas 2020
    The Girl, dob 97 dx 12/04 Animas Ping
    Dexcom CGMs used mostly to adjust Basal rates.

YDMV's Tips for New Type 1 Parents

I should check on the conditioning hours. I've just heard reports that it's brutal..... I know there is a 3 day football camp separate from the league that is 6 hours per day.

Carson has done great with gatorade during basketball season. 26 grams keeps him steady through a 1 1/2 hour game, but then afterwards he needs ALL of his missed basal and then some.

So I know he can handle 2 hours without the pump, but not sure how to handle the other 4.....
    Brenda, dx'd type 1 6/07 at age 30 while in the TrialNet research study. MDI Lantus and Novolog, Celiac (3/07).
    Mom to Carson, age 13, dx'd at 9 months. Cozmo (1/05) Navigator (3/09), Dexcom (8/10), currently on T-Slim (4/13)

You could go back to lantus and then just use the pump to correct when needed. We do this for Sam with the all day karate tournaments.
    Shannon, mom to:

Ben, Non-d 14 yrs old.

Sam, dx@15mo. Now 12 yrs old, currently pumping with t-slim .

Jamie, 3 years old.

Gary Scheiner recommends reconnecting every 1 to 1.5 hours and bolusing for half of the missed basal. If BG is low, you give carbs at the same time. It's obviously a YDMV thing, but it's what we do for all day swimming, for example, and it works fairly well.

ETA: Even if he is low, he WILL need some basal during that time period. Type 1s generally cannot go without insulin, even when exercise is acting to bring BG down.
    Last edited by hawkeyegirl; 03-17-2010 at 07:56 AM.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)

Daniel had football camp last summer for 3 or 4 days, we reduced his basal during the day by probably 75% and at night by 50% (he actually spent the night there but he is in high school) and he still had lows the first night so we then changed his i/c ratios and he was good the rest of the time - he is also on the Omnipod so he did not have to remove his pump at anytime either. I think if you have to remove the pump just check every couple hours and if he is high attach to correct but I don't think you will have that if they are working pretty hard - I think you need to watch for lows more than highs. at least that is how it is for Daniel

Erica
    Daniel's Mom
    Daniel 20 - Diagnosed 8/28/07 at Age 14
    7/7/08 Omnipod
    05/2011 -Back to MDI due to Pod failures Lantus/Novolog
    6/18/13 Minimed Revel 723
    November 2013 - Lantus/Novalog will probably go back on pump soon though for the holidays.

Default Football

DS has been playing tackle for 3 years in the Little Guy Football program. He is on mutiple daily injections. A friend of his on the same team pumps. He removes his pump during any contact activties.

The practices can sometimes be long and tough yet the coaches have been great about allowing breaks. We send lots of supplies to treat lows and have him sip on sports drinks throughout. I have been impressed with the program and think both boys have done very well with D care and have had fun. (Both were also on the same basketball team this winter and that was fun too.)

I was nervous about football at first but it was something he wanted so we supported fully. As it turns out of all the sports DS plays BGs of been more level with football management has not been too difficult on the sidelines.
    Last edited by MTMomma; 03-17-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Spelling :)

Lianne
    Mom to:
    Carly (16) non D
    Reese (14) dx T1 10/21/02 at age 5 MDI Lantus/Hum
    Wife to Bob-love of my life keeps me laughing

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyegirl View Post
    Gary Scheiner recommends reconnecting every 1 to 1.5 hours and bolusing for half of the missed basal. If BG is low, you give carbs at the same time. It's obviously a YDMV thing, but it's what we do for all day swimming, for example, and it works fairly well.

ETA: Even if he is low, he WILL need some basal during that time period. Type 1s generally cannot go without insulin, even when exercise is acting to bring BG down.
    That's helpful, I know he will need insulin, just not sure how much yet. I have some time before camp starts -- I'll have to make sure the sites are on his tummy so he can easily reconnect. And hope his coaches will let him take breaks to call me.