advertisement

Thread: Does caramel color have gluten?

Default Does caramel color have gluten?

Someone mentioned it to me today and that was the first I'd heard it, so I wanted to check.
    ~Nancy
    Mother to:
    Samantha - 17
    Michael - 13
    Emma - 8 (2/16/05 dx 3/07, dx Celiac 1/10) - Pumping with a Pink Animas Ping!
    as of 9/07
    CGMSing as of 3/26/09 with Navigator, 9/14/12 with Dex 7, 12/5/12 with dex G4

http://glutenfreeliving.com/ingredient.php#caramel

Here's what GF Living has to say about Caramel Color...

Caramel color
    Corn is used to make caramel color in the U.S. The FDA does permit use of barley malt but all major caramel color producers say corn makes a better product.
    The sticky wicket in all of this is..if it's made from barley...they don't have to tell you that. You can A) call and confirm with the manufacturer B) purchase an item from those companies that will disclose all forms of gluten. As you'll see down below in Tricia's comment, it's felt that this product is so highly processed that it's a non-issue.

More info...

http://www.childrenshospital.org/cli...0Flevel83.html

Previous questionable ingredients that are now rendered to be gluten-free are the following:

Maltodextrin
    Glucose Syrup
    Carmel Coloring
    Citric Acid
    Distilled Vinegars.

Tricia Thompson (aka the GF Dietitian) - caramel color

Bottom Line

It is exceedingly rare to come across food products in the US that contain caramel color derived from wheat. In my opinion, caramel color even if it is derived from wheat is not an ingredient that individuals on a gluten-free diet should worry about--including me!
    Al
    Gluten Intolerance Group of East Central WI Branch Manager
    GFNavigator.org

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." ~ Mother Teresa

thanks for the quotes and links.. we often worry about caramel color and distilled vinegar..

Any product with caramel coloring I just call the company. I think it's time we add detective to our resumes.
    Lisa-Dx celiac Nov. 2009
    Mommy to James dx-Feb. 8th 2009 at 21 months. Pumping with the animas ping! Dx celiac Oct. 20 2009
    Mommy to Mikaella non-d- 5 years old. Celiac dx May 2010

I try the "rule" of, if it's a product made in America, it's probably okay -- but I check with the company.

I made the mistake of trying something with caramel coloring from Mexico -- well, it was something someone added to some potato salad and I didn't realize it was in there until I had a baaaaad reaction -- and, boy, was that an experience I don't want to repeat.
    Eileen
    mom of:
    ...Calder - 18 - dx'd 10/1/08 pumping with a blue Ping as of 4/2/09; Celiac dx'd 7/23/09

Sorry to hear about that Eileen.

Imported food must follow the same rules as food produced here in the states. If the caramel color was made from wheat, it must be declared. If it was made from barley, we'd not know it.
    Al
    Gluten Intolerance Group of East Central WI Branch Manager
    GFNavigator.org

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." ~ Mother Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by aklap View Post
    Sorry to hear about that Eileen.

Imported food must follow the same rules as food produced here in the states. If the caramel color was made from wheat, it must be declared. If it was made from barley, we'd not know it.
    It was on older bottle that had been in my step-mom's cabinet for a while, so it may have pre-dated some of the newer regulations. Or it was from barley.

Either way, I know to stay away from it now and to ask my step-mom if she put any of this stuff in the food she's made.

One thing that I'm curious about is the oyster sauce they sell at the local Asian market -- the only questionable item is "caramel coloring," but I haven't had a chance to try and contact the distributer to ask. (The certified-GF oyster sauce is waaaaay too expensive for me.)
    Eileen
    mom of:
    ...Calder - 18 - dx'd 10/1/08 pumping with a blue Ping as of 4/2/09; Celiac dx'd 7/23/09