advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slipped & fell, bruises one week later?

Question Slipped & fell, bruises one week later?

Last Wednesday morning I slipped on the driveway, went down on my left knee and shin. It was quite painful for the day but not so much that I couldn't walk. My knee bruised the next day as expected. Now one week later more bruising seems to be developing...around my knee, my lower shin is one big bruise, on the sides of my foot. Last night my foot was slightly swollen, still is today and it looks like another bruise is developing on the top of my foot. There is no pain really. It's a bit achy.

Does it seem normal that I'd still be developing bruising a week later?
    my extra sweet girls:
    Amanda age 11 dx'd Nov. 29 2008 (age 7) pumping with a Medtronic Veo & CGM

Chloe age 11 dx'd Dec 7 2012 (age 11) MDI Lantus/Apidra

My other great (non-d) kids:
    Colin age 16, Liam age 13

You may have injured it worse than you thought. Can your md order you an x-ray or at least see you.
    Colleen, age 37
    Mom to:
    Erik,6, dx 6/21/06
    pumping Animas Ping 8/21/06
    Ryan,3, stunt boy
    Husband- Mike Hodgkins Survivor

you may need an MRI to see whats going on under the surface. There might be some hairline fractures that arent too painful but are causing bruising still. Sorry about the spill
    Becky, Mom to Steven 12, dxd 7/04 MDI humolog and Lantus, Harry 14 non-d My 2 awesome boys

Right now three things remain: Faith, hope and love But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

"There is no rightness in diabetes. Just sometimes, you're less wrong." by Jacobs Dad

I had that happen once. I don't remember what the original injury was but my ankle got all bruised looking. The Dr said that it was just blood pooling down there from the original injury but that it was fine.

If it bothers you, I'd have a Dr look at it.
    Barbie, Mom to Alex, 20, dx 10/05, minimed pump 10/06, dexcom 8/10

What Barbie said...and when I have a bruise that starts to itch, it usually means it's healing.
    Becky Aussi L'Autre
    Just takin' it all in.
    T
    -T1 Dx 5/2/06 at age 13
    (MDI) CGM - G4 5/13

it could have been a really deep bruise that is just now coming to the surface...i did this 2 or 3 weeks ago on the ice..yea 3 inch heels not a good idea lol...and my knee still looks awful the bruise is bigger now that the first several days after it happened ..still sore to
    Misty, dx 1/5/09, Type 1.5, Omnipod, hypothyroidism, endometriosis
    mother to Taylor 9, dx 2/5/08 pumping since 5/1/08 with animas 2020 pink pump, Celiac 4/10,
    pump/cgms'ing with purple Revel 7/13/10

"What dosent kill us makes us stronger!"...but how strong exactly do i have to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Mistync991 View Post
    it could have been a really deep bruise that is just now coming to the surface...i did this 2 or 3 weeks ago on the ice..yea 3 inch heels not a good idea lol...and my knee still looks awful the bruise is bigger now that the first several days after it happened ..still sore to
    Yep, if you get a bruise under your sub-q fat, or perhaps the periosteum (bone covering), you won't see it for a while... not until it starts to break down and infiltrates the surrounding tissues.

I'd still recommend getting checked out. I had this happen last summer with my leg.. I fell and hit my shin on the corner of a milk crate, and while it was immediately swollen and VERY painful, I didn't have any visible bruising until about a week later (long after having it x-rayed and being given the all-clear). It was yucky. In fact it didn't actually stop hurting until a few weeks ago.
    Sarah T1 dx @ 20 (10/2000)
    mom to 3 non-D kids (6, 8, & 13)
    PINGing Apidra,
    with the occasional help of Dexcom

I do that! Sometimes i hit something excruciatingly hard. No bruise until a week or so later, and then i can't remember what I did to get it, or I barely bump into something and have a huge black/blue/purple mottled monster. Very annoying. I had to undergo a bleed time test because of this.
    Beth in MA
    Mom to Alex-8- DX 4/2/07, Omnipod 3/11/08

Andy-9
    Kira 4 yrs
    Wife to Scott(a.k.a Saxmaniac)

Thanks for the replies. Saw a doctor today, had x-rays and all is fine. Nothing broken. Just badly bruised and all the "fluid" is being pulled by gravity to my ankle, foot and toes. He said it might take a while to heal. I feel better now knowing it's not serious. Just ugly!
    my extra sweet girls:
    Amanda age 11 dx'd Nov. 29 2008 (age 7) pumping with a Medtronic Veo & CGM

Chloe age 11 dx'd Dec 7 2012 (age 11) MDI Lantus/Apidra

My other great (non-d) kids:
    Colin age 16, Liam age 13

Girl, I don't know exactly what caused it, but about 10 years ago I twisted my ankle off the edge of the sidewalk, and landed on my knee on the pavement. Had all the usually tests, and was on crutches for a couple of days. Anyway, I had this purpleish looking bruise on my kneecap FOR...EVER! I could still see it almost a year later! Of course it stopped hurting about a month afterward, but I could see where I hit for a REALLY long time! I hope everything is not so sore, or is getting better!
    TUESDAY, mom to:
    Brandon, 10 (11-28-00) dx 4/05 @ 4-1/2; Pumping MM522 11/07/08
    Michael, 16, non-D, licensed driver!