advertisement
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Diabetes Rising on NPR

so Rella I think we're talking about bigbouncing babies but still within the normal range for kids. We're not talking about Obese kids. right? It just seems weird that what is deemed normal weight..maybe not actually be normal weight in this one case. Does that makes sense? It just all seems not to make sense to me. lol.

I'm talking about two different things, because I'm a scatter-brain.

I think Dan was talking about big, healthy, tall kids, like our boys were.

I also read an article about obesity being linked -- so something entirely different.

The point is that there are probably many contributing factors and when the right (or wrong) ones come together for some unfortunate kid, they get T1.

Rella, mom to Brendan -- 14-yrs-old, dx'd March '08 at 8 years old
    Navigator CGM: 11/08 to 1/11
    Dexcom CGM since 2/11, G4 as of 10/12
    OmniPod since 7/09

Help Cure Childhood Diabetes
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by frizzyrazzy View Post
    Well Dan hurley just said that perhaps it's because kids are overweight. As kids get bigger and bigger he sees more type 1 cases, not that beign overweight causes it but that it could be the trigger.

raise hands - who's kids was even close to being overweight at DX? That fully does not fit the profile of children who have been dx. Most of our kids are not even close to being overweight.
    Can't raise my hand. My DD was 2 yrs old and weighed 28 lbs.
    Kristin
    Mom to daughter, Frankie (born 12/05) Dx 2/4/08 and son Sebastian (born 4/10)

Pumping with Animas 20/20

Tony was skinny, but really tall, in the top of the percentiles for that until dx, then he's dropped down a lot and is usually one of the shorter kids in playgroup, in fact he didn't grow for a whole stinking year. His new endo told me it could be because his sugars were so high, which is reasonable for a 20 month-2 years cause it's so crazy. There is a local museum here that had a wide range of clothes from people that lived here 150 years ago and they were all so short!
    Makes me feel a bit better that DD is a little peanut and people talk to her like a little baby if she's sitting in the stroller lol. DS was mostly formula fed and DD is nursing so I don't know if that has to do with their drastic difference in size. She just looks healthier despite being small. We also eat way healthier and are exposed to less toxins than when Tony was a baby, thanx to better access to healthier foods and we aren't living right next to a Navy airbase. I don't think it's just one thing that triggers it, maybe a build up of a lot of different things? Totally talking out my butt here since I'm not my usual caffeinated self

Alison, mama to Tony (6 years old), diagnosed 5/10/07 at 20 months old on MDI, lantus and novolog. He also has hypotonia and developmental delays
    Gemma Lynn 9/04/08-tested for trialnet 8/10 results negative

Quote Originally Posted by buggle View Post
    I don't know, Michelle. Not all big, healthy kids get T1 -- just a very small percentage. It could be that when kids are growing quickly and using a lot of insulin to grow -- since it's involved in growth, as well as getting energy to cells -- that it makes certain children more susceptible to environmental stressors. We will probably never know.
    Interesting theory, Rella.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

I didn't get to listen, if I get a chance I'll look at that link.. Kaylee was always small.. infact the day she was diagnosed the dr. was convincing me nothing was wrong (she hadn't grown in over a year, no height or weight gain) He said she's going to be petite, thats just her build.. then ran the urine test because of all the drinking and peeing.

Ava didn't fall into any of the theories... No gluten or dairy in her life. She was always a low on the weight scale. We did vaccinate, but so does most of America.

Sometimes, it's just the luck of the draw.

I'm not going to change anything this time around, although I think we will hold off on giving new baby the hep shot at the hospital. We'll just wait for the one year shots for that.
    Joy

Mom to Ava
    Born 06
    dx 07
    Animas PING 2008
    Contact Detach
    Dexcom (the other love of my life)

At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.
    -Jean Houston

Quote Originally Posted by frizzyrazzy View Post
    well he keeps disputing his whole theories.

he's talking about the possible cows milk in formula connection. If we're talknig about the cluster in WEALTHY suburbs...the incidence of full breastfeeding is more prevalent in the suburbs...that seems contradictory.
    Seth was not overweight, breast fed until 10 months, then had soy formula, and didn't get cows milk until 2 because I was allergic to milk as a kid.

Seth 17, dx'd at 7 (shots for most of 9+ years, has been on the Omnipod/Apidra for 1 year)

Always always always....Trust your gut!:

Quote Originally Posted by buggle View Post
    I'm talking about two different things, because I'm a scatter-brain.

I think Dan was talking about big, healthy, tall kids, like our boys were.

I also read an article about obesity being linked -- so something entirely different.

The point is that there are probably many contributing factors and when the right (or wrong) ones come together for some unfortunate kid, they get T1.
    Ohh, well I could put Seth in that category. Tall and built, round bootie, man thighs (muscular shape) But, most type 1's I notice are on the skinny side In my mind, my non-D son has more of the body type of a type 1 than Seth does...

Seth 17, dx'd at 7 (shots for most of 9+ years, has been on the Omnipod/Apidra for 1 year)

Always always always....Trust your gut!:

Sam has always been around the 90th percentile in height and slightly lower in weight, so a 'bigger kid' theory might wash... But cow's milk? She was exclusively breast fed and allergic to milk (*I* couldn't even drink it or my breast milk would make her break out), had nothing but an occassional accidental taste until about 3 years ago. She finally outgrew the allergy around 7 or 8 and started eating cheese, but never developed a taste for milk.
    Amy
    wife to Adam
    Mom to Samantha, 14 dx'd 9/15/09,
    and Nick, 11