advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with lunch time insulin?

Default Help with lunch time insulin?

I wondered if anyone out there has had this problem. I'm getting ready to start a full-time job. I have two children with Type 1, and both require lunch time insulin. My 15 year old is developmentally delayed, and my younger daughter has not mastered giving herself injections yet. How do I go about getting help with this? Has anyone hired help?

Thanks!

Susan

Hello and welcome. It may help if you gave a little bit more information. Such as, what type of insulin they are on, are they in school, how long they have been dx, etc.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 15 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Novolog and Levemir)

My son is 15, and my daughter is 8. They are both in school. My son takes Humalin NPH and Humalog in the morning, Humalog at lunch and Lantus and Humalog at dinner. My daughter is on Lantus and Humalog at dinner, and then Humalog at breakfast and lunch.

I've been working part-time close to home, and have had a very flexible schedule which allowed me to go home (when the kids are home) and administer insulin. But, with starting a full-time job, and summer approaching, I'm not sure what to do about the lunch Humalog.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Susan

Public schools? In the US?
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

In consultation with your medical team, you may be able to develop an insulin regimen using NPH (given at breakfast) to cover lunch at school. We've been doing this for years and it works well for us..

Proud Dad of Amy (18), diagnosed Aug. 2006 and getting MDI of Apidra and Lantus..
    and Sylvie (13); very happy husband of Shirla!

I do the same as WILF and it works well. Although there are times when she spikes for no reason and I have to run and give her some insulin at lunch, so I take my lunch at that time and drive (safely) like a maniac. You might be surprised though with your school staff. They can give insulin if trained. Good luck and remember it will work itself out just don't stress over it!!
    Kara- mom to Kerstyn- 10 Dx 12/17/2009 our strength, Sammy- 7 non-D our brains, Krissy- 4 non-D our energy!!

07/02/10 Pumping pink MM and loving it!!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have actually thought about the NPH for both kids, and will bring that up with our doctor.

This is my first post here, although I've been following this site for years. My son was diagnosed in 1999 a few days before Halloween, and my daughter in 2008, the day after Halloween!

I live in Fredericksburg, VA, about an hour south of DC. Unfortunately, although we have great medical care, we have to drive an hour to see the doc. I'm not complaining, though, I know many people who travel much further for their care!

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions!

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by wilf View Post
    In consultation with your medical team, you may be able to develop an insulin regimen using NPH (given at breakfast) to cover lunch at school. We've been doing this for years and it works well for us..
    This is what we did until Seth learned to give himself a shot at 9 years old. He learned at camp.

Seth 17, dx'd at 7 (shots for most of 9+ years, has been on the Omnipod/Apidra for 1 year)

Always always always....Trust your gut!:

If it's a public school there is no reason why you can't follow the insulin regime of your choice. If you are finding your current methods to be effective, the school is obligated to provide someone who can provide the necessary accommodations, including giving injections. It's not unusual at all. Has the school, to date, refused??
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    If it's a public school there is no reason why you can't follow the insulin regime of your choice. If you are finding your current methods to be effective, the school is obligated to provide someone who can provide the necessary accommodations, including giving injections. It's not unusual at all. Has the school, to date, refused??
    I agree with this. Not putting down NPH but if at all possible it would be nice to fit your school around what is best for your child not the other way around.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 15 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Novolog and Levemir)