advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daughter wants to change pumps.

Default Daughter wants to change pumps.

Madison wants the OmniPod she has the Ping right now. We of course have a stockpile of supplies for the Ping so not happy about eating the cost.

But we have struggled with her lately with D care at school. We have now figured out its because kids tease her about her pump and D. They see the tubing. And she changes in Gym so no way around that one.

I have told her I am sorry that this is going on she must do teh checks at school and let is know she will take care of her D at school and when she is with her friends first then we will order the OmniPod.

So my question for anyone that has changed pumps. What did you do with the old pump and all the supplies?

I know it will take a while to get all the paper work done but we will still have lots left over by the time she switches.

Someone told us that they had to give the old pump to the omnipod people (per insurance) if so why would you do that since its been paid for already.
    Mom to Madison 15 dx'd 10/10/2007
    Pumping with Pink Animas Ping since December 15, 2008
    Miranda 17 -non D

I think Omni Pod had a deal where if you turned in your old pump you got a discount. If I remember this was around when Cozmo made their announcment to exit the market but could be wrong.

If it were me, I would probably hold onto it for awhile at least as a back up pump just in case. Then maybe donate the excess supplies to those in need. The pump I would donate too, if that's even legal.
    Jacque
    Mom to:
    Logan, age 6, dx on 10/23/08
    Blue Animas Ping started 12/20/09 ~ Novolog ~ Contact Detach Sets
    Dexcom CGMS started 2/23/09 ~ Dexcom Seven + upgrade 5/22/09, Dexcom G4 started 9/2012
    Kristen, age 22 - Non-D

Omnipod has an upgrade offer right now for $299.. you get the starter kit and a month's worth of pods (10)... I am 99% sure you get to keep your pump. It might be an option. Not a cheap one, but an option.. and without a long-term commitment or having to give up your pump.

I've actually considered it... even though I hated wearing the demo pod, I can see instances where it might be "nice" to not worry about tubing.. or to just have the option to wear a pod instead
    Sarah T1 dx @ 20 (10/2000)
    mom to 3 non-D kids (6, 8, & 13)
    PINGing Apidra,
    with the occasional help of Dexcom

But we have struggled with her lately with D care at school. We have now figured out its because kids tease her about her pump and D. They see the tubing. And she changes in Gym so no way around that one.
    In all honesty I think that the teasing needs to be addressed. Even though switching pumps may provide a partial solution IMHO it still only solves half a problem. If they are not just making fun of the pump, but testing and other things it will likely continue.

Yes, I agree the teasing has to be addressed. They could make fun of the pod on her arm next.
    DS1, 17 yrs old, diag 3/2000 at 3 years old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001, Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Novolog ,Apidra(1/11),Back to Novolog 6/11, Insets 6mm, Navigator 8/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09, Dexcom G4 12/12
    DS2 , 14 yrs old, diag 9/2000 at 10 months old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001,Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Revel 12/10, Back to Animas Ping 12/10, Novolog ,Insets 6mm, Navigator 9/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09,Navigator 11/09,Guardian 9/10 Enlites 11/13,Minimed 730g 1/14

We switched to Omnipod and did NOT have to send them our cozmo. We had to send them a copy of our old pump (just laid it on the copier), but I still have the old pump and some supplies.

I have sympathy for your child.

But, it doesn't matter whether it is a tubed pump, or a non-tubed pump. Children are going to notice it one way or another, especially if your child is taking gym. The problem may get slightly better by changing pumps, but it is not going away.

With an omnipod, the lump is noticable, and when changing clothes, children will notice for sure. While she may not have to carry an external device that is tubed, she will still have to keep the PDM in her possession. Just operating the device will be noticed by children (tubed or untubed), and therefore switching pumps will not solve this problem.

If she wants to switch, let her switch, but make sure you address this issue by:

1. Talking to the school about the teasing issue. If there is teasing going on, make it your duty to put it to an end. It may just be a matter of other peers not being familiar with the device, so they might "speculate" about it. If it is just downright cruel behavior towards your child, then disciplinary intervention needs to occur to put it to a stop.

2. Your child needs to feel comfortable about wearing the device. Perhaps meeting other type 1 pumpers would make her feel a little more normal, and less different. D camp made a big difference for me, and I have no problem wearing my pump outwardly. Plus, most people think it is a mp3 player anyways.
    Young adult with type 1 diabetes

Insulet does NOT take your pump, you just have to fax them something that says that you own one. I sent the original paperwork for the Cozmo. Their site did used to say that it was a trade in offer, like Minimed and Animas did, but they never have taken anyone's pump. Keep it for a back up. We took the offer when they were giving the old PDM, so we paid for the new PDM at a much discounted price, so we have the old one for backup. Almost like having an extra pump that way, and we would use that before going back to the Cozmo. I would suggest that you keep the old pump for vacations, etc. You just never know and it is a good feeling to know that you will not have to go back to shots.
    I agree with the others though. The pod will show if she wears it on her arm. My daughter cannot wear hers on her back or stomach, because of adhesive issues, but she doesn't care if she has a lump there. In fact she has one on each arm, because she wears the Navigator on her arm as well.

No word on how long it will be before we see the new smaller pods anyone?
    Mary,
    Mom to Melissa, 29, using Dexcom, 24/7 since 4/10, and T:slim started March 2014. Michael, 34 using MDI's and Dexcom. Melissa is intellectually challenged and needs a lot of help from us to manage her diabetes.

Thanks everyone. The issue of the teasing has been addressed she is in JrHigh so deals with multigrade levels. She has no problem with the kids in her grade because most of her peer group has been with her for years.

I think some of the change is just her think as she is getting older she is getting tired of the tubing. She has an older D friend who has the pod all the others are MDI.

She has an endo appt next week and we are suppose to be discussing CGM so we have told her that we will deal with the CGM and expenses for that first. After that we will change pumps. Our insurace will cover the pods just not the starter kit because she has not had her pump long enough.
    Mom to Madison 15 dx'd 10/10/2007
    Pumping with Pink Animas Ping since December 15, 2008
    Miranda 17 -non D

Quote Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
    Omnipod has an upgrade offer right now for $299.. you get the starter kit and a month's worth of pods (10)... I am 99% sure you get to keep your pump. It might be an option. Not a cheap one, but an option.. and without a long-term commitment or having to give up your pump.

I've actually considered it... even though I hated wearing the demo pod, I can see instances where it might be "nice" to not worry about tubing.. or to just have the option to wear a pod instead
    This is an excellent deal. We wanted to replace our PDM because it had been dropped and the screen was hard to read and it was $500!
    Susan
    Grandma to Hailey age 11 dx type 1 age 4
    pumping with Omnipod since 8/09
    and Faith age 7
    and now little Macey Ella age 1 year Dx with allergies to nuts, wheat, eggs, and soy

True heroism consists in being superior to the ills of life, in whatever shape they may challenge us to combat.

Napoleon I (1769-1821) Napoleon Bonaparte. French general.