advertisement
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long after you found out did your kids get the pump.

Default How long after you found out did your kids get the pump.

For the last week Cassidy keeps hounding me when about when can she get a pump. I am so happy for her that she is excited about getting one but its hard to tell her that the endo says 6months to a year before they would think about it for her. How long did you all have to wait?
    Chrystelle

Home Schooling mom to Cassidy 11 dx'd 12/16/2009. Pinging (5/11) ,Dexcom (11/11) , last A1c 7.2%, and Skylee 7, non-D.

We were told we would have to wait a year by our 1st endo ( reg endo). We switched to a pedo within 2 months, and she told us we could have one whenever we wanted one. We waited 6 months, but that was for my sanitity and no other reason. That is so awesome that she wants one... DS took some convincing!
    ]Wendy,Mom to Reece,9,dx'd 08/15/2008, dx'd celiac 4/10/13, pumping "Smokey" MM Revel

We waited for about a year - in retrospect for no apparent good reason.

Endo making us wait 6 months. Ella is counting the days...
    ~Jenn

Wife to Jon since 1997
    Son Coby 11): nonD
    Daughter Ella (8): dx'd 12/16/2009
    Pumping Pink Ping 3/2010
    Dexcom 11/2010
    Beginning A1C=10.6
    Last A1C=6.9
    also has Alopecia (dormant at the moment)

NOW SELLING SCENTSY! Ask me about it!
    https://jennharrison.scentsy.us/Home

We were told by the nurse that my dd was ready for the pump at 4 months. The endo came in and was hesitant because it hadn't been 6 months and I asked her why 6 months is so important and she couldn't really answer to she approved it. Then it took almost 2 months anyway to get it and get trained (new pump was coming out, so a couple of the weeks were waiting for it to hit the market).
    Diane, celiac (2/11), Mom to Gracie T1D, 11, dx 4/08. Animas Ping 10/08-5/11. Dexcom 6/09-6/11. Purple MM Revel with CGMS since 5/11. Also with multiple food allergies and GI dysfunction. Also mom to Tyler, 15 (ADD) and Austin, 12 (ASD, ADD). Happily married for 17 years.

Our endo/cde showed us the pumps in the hospital at dx and provided us with the paperwork to order one. They didn't care which one - at the time, we had a choice of three they recommended.

1 month after dx, we attended pump class and were pumping live with insulin.

Sometimes the 6 month rule is because some insurances still require a waiting period but I would think you could fight that if the endo wrote a letter of medical necessity for it.
    Son dx 2007, Pumping 2007
    Cgms 2008 Minimed Revel Pump 2010
    6mm Mios

My DS isn't pumping after almost 2 yrs because he doesn't want too but we were told at dx that our insurance would make us wait at least 6 months.
    Lisa ~ Mother of Nick (18) ~ Diagnosed 4/1/08
    Lantus/Humalog

Caleb was pumping in about three months. Our endo was fully supportive of starting right away. We just needed to get insurance approval and it was during a time when my husband had just started a new job. So as soon as he could, Caleb started pumping.
    Lorraine

Mom of Caleb, 7 - diagnosed T1 1.3.07 pumping OmniPod 4.24.07 DexCom 09.09, Colin 10 and Lila 4

This is Caleb...

We were told we had to wait 6 months for insurance purposes (4 1/2 yrs ago). But I waited 8 or 9 months because I was scared of the possibility of site failures during the night. Then we had a really bad day on shots, so I got over that fear (mostly). I do test her at night if I think something might be going on with the site. We've had a few nighttime issues, but nothing we couldn't handle at home, thankfully.

Good Luck!

Andii

Amanda dx at 13 mos....did not start pumping til age 3 and a half (3 mos ago) only because I finally switched endo's and the new endo recommended it..Old endo was not on board with a pump at all and neither was his staff...strange!!

Good luck..
    Amanda, Type 1, Dx at 13 mos. old, now 5 yrs old.
    Also immune deficient..IgA Deficiency as of 7/2010...

Pumping with Mini Med 522.. Pink... (Humalog)
    Sure T infusion sets....

Erica 21, Brandon 19, Ryan 11..all Non D.