advertisement

Thread: Diabetes Rising" by Dan Hurley

Default Diabetes Rising" by Dan Hurley

Anyone read it? Going to get it tonight!
    SAHM to:

DS 7 yrs old, dx 10/2007
    DS 4 yrs old non-d

Pumping with Omnipod 12/08-12/12, Currently pumping with Animas Ping
    Dexcom 7+ 9/09-present

Yes, I read it. In fact I wrote it! ) I'm eager to hear what you and others on CWD think about it. The book received some very nice coverage on National Public Radio, http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=122250567, and also in Parade magazine, http://www.parade.com/news/intellige...-diabetes.html. It's going to be excerpted in the April issue of Wired and the May issue of Discover magazine. I hope it is of service to children and parents with diabetes!

What timing--I just picked this up yesterday and was going to see if any other CWDers had read it. I'm about half way through and am going through a lot of emotions as I am reading.

I loved the author's comments on the CGMS and also found Dr. Sells' comments (on page 84) to really resonate with the realities of day to day care.

My greatest fear as a parent of a diabetic is that I somehow could have prevented this disease. So I am anxious to read the "hypothesis chapters". I am hoping for a lot of food for thought here and some really intriguing commentary.
    Mom to a Middle Schooler (MDI, DX'ed June 30, 2006), and a Sports Nut

Looking for info on using carb factors to count carbs? Check out www.CarbPerfectionist.com

Default Diabetes Rising

I finished the book a week or so ago and felt it was well written and very informative. We are parents of an 8 yr old girl who was diagnosed T1 on Dec 23, 2009, so the the shock and emotions around her diagnosis were and are still high. To be honest, when I started the book I waited with baited breath to read the Reasons section. I was that parent he mentions who was still looking for how did this happen and why, what did I do? The book didn't really answer any of that, but then these are just hypothesis, any one of which, taken out of context of diabetes, could apply to every person everywhere. This section had the least amount of impact on me.

Now, we've accepted her diabetes and want to turn our attention on finding cure, because I cannot wake up without thinking: she deserves much better than this, than what our medical and scientific community have offered in terms of treatment, cost, and cure. I understand diabetes is manageable. I get it. But I think it is wrong not to demand and expect more of everyone - science, doctors, foundations, associations, etc. (a call for action which Mr. Hurly does a wonderful job of laying out in his conclusion, which I believe was the best part of the book, for me, anyway: a dismayed and pissed off parent of a newly dx'd.)

I felt the Remedies portion of the book was the most well done and gave me personally a great deal of insight into the possibilities of a cure, albeit I am still new to the whole thing. I am not new, however, to eating and would have liked to have seen one more chapter in that section addressing the needs of type 1 diabetics who don't eat at McDonalds or Subway or other fast food restaurants or drink soda, but eat home cooked meals with raw or mostly unprocessed food purchased at a grocery store. The problem with the FDA and our nation's food supply is a pandemic in and of itself, and that is a fight worthy of any diabetic. There is much that I've seen in the last few weeks to get up in arms about concerning diabetes and a little more of that, written with a little more disappointment directed at those who are working for (or against it), would have made this a top shelf book for me. Nonetheless, it's very much worth the read.

I also caught the NPR interview. I enjoyed it and found parts of it even better than the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanca View Post
    I was that parent he mentions who was still looking for how did this happen and why, what did I do? The book didn't really answer any of that, but then these are just hypothesis, any one of which, taken out of context of diabetes, could apply to every person everywhere.
    Hi Stanca. I'm so glad you read the book and found it valuable. I'm always fascinated by which parts people find more or less interesting to them. Discover magazine is going to publish an excerpt in May, looking at the five major scientific hypotheses that seek to explain the rise. I don't see them as "just" hypotheses, since a great deal of research has already been conducted, and more is underway. For instance, the TRIGR trial is examining whether infant formula in the first six months of life increases the risk of type 1. (See more at trigr.epi.usf.edu/.) But none of these should be seen as something a parent did to "cause" their child's diabetes. As someone who's had type 1 for 34 years, I can't imagine making my poor Mom feel any guiltier than she already did. No parent would ever knowingly do something to cause a disease like type 1 in his or her kid. But science does help to uncover what factors are at play. It wasn't until the famous Framingharm heart study began collecting data all the way back in 1948 that doctors started to slowly realize that being overweight and having high cholesterol actually increased the risk of heart attacks. These same kind of studies are now trying to uncover why the yearly incidence of new cases of type 1 are growing by about 3% per year.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. --Dan

Thank you, Dan, for the reply. I hope you don't have the wrong impression about me or my appreciation of science. I love science. I wish I had been a better student of it in my school years, as now I am playing catch up. My daughter, Lia, loves science, too and I'm sure with diabetes a part of her life, she'll be a fan of it for years to come. Your book arrived at a very difficult time for us, coinciding with our daughter's diagnosis. On the one hand, the emotion is overpowering. On the other, the science behind diabetes is just simply overwhelming. I greatly appreciate the light you shed on both.

I hope your research and the awareness you are raising will continue to bring about the energy and effort required to find a cure.

Steve

Im reading this now! Its very informative but frightening. Makes me wonder about clusters and why they are happening where they are happening. I think there are many pieces to the puzzle, all the things mentioned in here are probably major pieces to that puzzle but not all of them
    Becky, Mom to Steven 12, dxd 7/04 MDI humolog and Lantus, Harry 14 non-d My 2 awesome boys

Right now three things remain: Faith, hope and love But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

"There is no rightness in diabetes. Just sometimes, you're less wrong." by Jacobs Dad

Default Reading this now

I am finding this book very interesting and easy to read. I like the scope of it and the personal approach. I like learning about the evolution of ideas and the different theories. It is a very scary thought to look at these clusters and I have to admit that I am sad to not have known about vitamin D when my son was younger.

Thanks to Dan for exploring this topic so thoroughly-and reviewing so much research for me!
    Sarah, Mom to Henry (Dxd at 7 on 1/30/10 2 days before 8th birthday). Started Mininmed 9/21/2010.

Step-Mom to 3 grown children-non D.
    The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know.

I've heard good things about this book and I'm planning on reading it as well. I really feel like we do need to know more about what is behind T1, not so we can place blame, but for the health of our grandkids and great grandkids as well as possibly preventing other autoimmune disorders in our CWD.
    Mom to 3 Great Kids, Oldest DD 13,
    DX Type 1 Jan 2008
    Feb 2011 -- Omnipod and Dexcom
    April 2010 -- MM Revel Pump & MM CGMS
    Jan 2008 -- MM 523 Pump and MM CGMS Apidra