advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How necessary is EMLA?

Default How necessary is EMLA?

I was just wondering this because when I mentioned it to the nurse a few weeks ago she said that most people don't feel that it's necessary. And to a point I was thinking that same thing, it's such a quick thing but then again, it's not happening to me every 3 days either. Just wondering if I should DEMAND it or not
    Laura

Mother to
    Julian 1/18/2007 (dx 10/19/2008)
    Green Ping since 12-7-09
    Maddie, non-d 11/11/08

I would get it. If you don't need it, fine, but if your child is bothered by site changes, it's a godsend.

For us, it makes site and sensor changes completely painless. My opinion is that our kids go through enough. Why not numb them up if they prefer it that way?
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)

With a child that young, I would use EMLA. My son hates creams like that and refused to use it. There have been a few site changes where I wish he used it, but most are just uncomfortable for a few seconds.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

We were told the same thing so we went a few weeks without it. It was awful. Charlie would run screaming through the house and I would have to hold him while DH put the site in. I was really stressed because there was no way I could do a site change without DH if one failed. With Emla I am able to do it by myself while Charlie plays the iTouch. Not a big deal at all.
    I think emla and unisolve are very important. I think Charlie has to go through enough and if a little cream helps even the tiniest bit, I am darn well going to use it.
    ~Marci~
    Mom to Charlie, diagnosed 1-27-2007 at 19 months
    and Alyssa

I would use it if we could. Nathan is allergic so we are unable to. His endo doesn't want to use it all the time because of the lack of long term testing with kids.
    Lynn
    Mom to Nathan
    Born 5-22-03
    Diagnosed 2-7-06
    Pumping with Cozmo

I would get it just to have it. We started pumping a month ago and did use it for the first two site changes. However, I heard from a lot of people on here pros and cons and decided to try it without. Ben is eight and did okay without it so we don't generally use it BUT I'm glad we had it to start with because if he did want to use it - I would. Whatever makes it easier for them, kwim?
    Beth
    Mom of:
    N, 14
    B, 12, dx 3/9/09, Pumping (as of 10/19/09) with Clear MM 522 and CGM (as of June 2010)
    D, 2

Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

No way would we do a site change or sensor insertion without it. I would absolutely demand it. They work for you!!
    Jennifer D in NC
    Wife to John, my high school sweetheart, and mom of:
    Joshua , 18
    Joseph, 16
    and Jayden, 14, dx 12/28/07 T1D, Pod People as of 05/14/2011,Novolog

I don't think it is NECESSARY, but it sure is nice. We actually started out on the pump (two months) without any cream, and Brandon screamed every time. We ended up getting LMX4 cream (over the counter), as someone here suggested. It is about $40 for the 1.7 oz. tube. Walgreens didn't have any idea what I was talking about, but the grocery store pharmacy looked it up and found it. They had to order it for me.

Yes, on such a little one, it's probably really hard to tell how much the site changes are hurting. I would give it a try. We don't use the cream all the time. Maybe only once or twice a month if he asks for it.
    TUESDAY, mom to:
    Brandon, 10 (11-28-00) dx 4/05 @ 4-1/2; Pumping MM522 11/07/08
    Michael, 16, non-D, licensed driver!

I think it depends on the person and the site.

Ava doesn't need it for contact detach pump sites, but DOES need it for the dexcom.

It's such a handy tool to have, why not at least have it in the house?
    Joy

Mom to Ava
    Born 06
    dx 07
    Animas PING 2008
    Contact Detach
    Dexcom 7+ (the other love of my life)

At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.
    -Jean Houston

I think this is a personal preference. We tried it once and really it didn't do much for us.

We do pump insertions and Navigator sensor insertions without EMLA. Sometimes she fusses for a minute with pump changes and sensor changes but I just did a sensor insertion and she actually said, "Wow, that didn't hurt at all".

But she is pretty resilient and can go with the flow pretty easily
    ~Nancy
    Mother to:
    Samantha - 17
    Michael - 13
    Emma - 8 (2/16/05 dx 3/07, dx Celiac 1/10) - Pumping with a Pink Animas Ping!
    as of 9/07
    CGMSing as of 3/26/09 with Navigator, 9/14/12 with Dex 7, 12/5/12 with dex G4