advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pizza is just not worth it...

Default Pizza is just not worth it...

I tried again to battle the pizza highs last night and it did not work. He was fine for so long and then bam, the highs came on. But I just tested him and the final correction at 5:30 worked and he is now 85 after being above 300 all night. He was high even after +50% temp basal throughout the night. I really think that I need to stick to other easy meals when I do not feel like cooking. Pizza is not worth the lack of sleep.

--Sara

The only way we have luck with pizza is to do an extended bolus on the pump. Are you MDI? We do a 50/50 or 40/60. Actually now she often ends up being low after But I know a lot of people who just save pizza for very special occasions because of this. . .
    Diane, celiac (2/11), Mom to Gracie T1D, 11, dx 4/08. Animas Ping 10/08-5/11. Dexcom 6/09-6/11. Purple MM Revel with CGMS since 5/11. Also with multiple food allergies and GI dysfunction. Also mom to Tyler, 15 (ADD) and Austin, 12 (ASD, ADD). Happily married for 17 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie'sMom View Post
    The only way we have luck with pizza is to do an extended bolus on the pump. Are you MDI? We do a 50/50 or 40/60. Actually now she often ends up being low after But I know a lot of people who just save pizza for very special occasions because of this. . .
    I did do an extended bolus and then the highs came anyway

--Sara

With a 14 year old and a 12 year old we had to make pizza work. When Danny was on the pump we would do an extended bolus - I don't remember how much extra we gave him it was 4 years ago.

Now we do (MDI) a 75% bolus (we call it that instead of a shot - habit) followed up by 50% an hour to hour and a half later for a dose of 125%.

Does your endo have any suggestions?

I wouldn't give up I would keep trying. Pizza makes its way into daily life the older the kids get, pizza parties at school, birthdays, after sports games, breakfast

Don't give up on pizza just yet. Just think of all the fun you'll be missing, trying to figure out how much for how long.

Seriously, it's trial and error. A combo 40/60 for 5 or 6 hours or more or a 30/70. You just have to see what works for you.

You now know for how long pizza affects him, so you have a starting point.

For some people, pizza takes hours and hours to digest. For others, you can just bolus everything upfront and it works.

Good luck!
    Mom to 2 boys (8 & 10), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

Pizza is tough. We love pizza too much to give up. I have found that having pizza on the nights that my son has had a physically active day helps counteract the lows he would get during the night from all the exercise. We don't have a certain formula that we use but try to figure in the activity with the insulin dose. What I have also found that may help with the delayed spikes in bs is a walk around the block, bike ride or some sort of physical activity after dinner.

I've given up on extended boluses. They just don't work for us with slowly digesting food. Since those are the times when I'd use NPH, now what I do is run multiple temp basals. That means I have to keep increasing them every hour or so. It sucks, but it's the only way I can think of to mimic what the NPH or Regular used to do.

Pizza with a thin crust is easier. With the normal crust at a pizza place I do a combo 50-50 over 2 or 2 1/2 hours. The more they eat they longer I make the wave.
    We hardly eat pizza out. I have one of those wheat mills and ground my own flour for the pizza crust. Makes a world of difference. I guess all that fiber. I still do a 50-50 over 2 hours but they never spike , not even during the night.
    They each eat two of my pieces(kind of a thick normal crust) at 27 carbs each.
    DS1, 17 yrs old, diag 3/2000 at 3 years old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001, Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Novolog ,Apidra(1/11),Back to Novolog 6/11, Insets 6mm, Navigator 8/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09, Dexcom G4 12/12
    DS2 , 14 yrs old, diag 9/2000 at 10 months old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001,Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Revel 12/10, Back to Animas Ping 12/10, Novolog ,Insets 6mm, Navigator 9/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09,Navigator 11/09,Guardian 9/10 Enlites 11/13,Minimed 730g 1/14

The problem is that pizza is just EVERYWHERE. You almost have to figure it out so that you can teach Deacon how to deal with it when he's a teenager.

When I'm trying to figure out a problem food, the first thing I do is to get the "upfront" part right. If Jack is in a decent range at 2 & 3 hours, I know the upfront amount is good. Then I start looking at the extended dose. How long was Deacon's blood sugar good for last night? And then how long did it continue to rise after the rise began? That will help you figure out whether you need to increase the extended dose, or even give an entirely seperate bolus somewhere into the night.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyegirl View Post
    The problem is that pizza is just EVERYWHERE. You almost have to figure it out so that you can teach Deacon how to deal with it when he's a teenager.

When I'm trying to figure out a problem food, the first thing I do is to get the "upfront" part right. If Jack is in a decent range at 2 & 3 hours, I know the upfront amount is good. Then I start looking at the extended dose. How long was Deacon's blood sugar good for last night? And then how long did it continue to rise after the rise began? That will help you figure out whether you need to increase the extended dose, or even give an entirely seperate bolus somewhere into the night.
    This sounds like a perfect solution to the problem.

The hard work is pretty much over if you know how long he stayed high for afterwards.
    Was he inrange prior to eating the pizza?

With Jordan, we do a combo bolus, and sometimes (not always, probably depends on his activity) but sometimes we do an additional boulus, but not very often. I wouldn't give up on pizza, because I tell you, as a teen - Jordan rarely goes more than a couple days without eating some form of it! (pizza pizza rolls, bagel bites, etc)

Foxy, Mom of three
    Jordan - 17 dx'd 10/21/08
    Pumping again 10/31/11
    Austin - 14
    Kaybre - 11