advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Dexcom Sensor

Default Removing Dexcom Sensor

Question, can anyone give me any tips on what you use to help take off a Dexcom sensor? I love that they are extremely sticky and stay on forever, but when it comes time to remove one, you can tell not only from my son crying, but you can see how painful it is, that thing does NOT want to come off easily at all. When we finally do get i off, you can see how sore the area is and extremely red. I was just wondering if anyone has found anything that helps remove it a little bit easier? I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks

AnnK

Mom to Zak - 5 diagnosed 3/07 and
    Nicole - 16 non-D

Easy smeezy!! Before a bath, soak it thoroughly with baby oil. The whole thing will fall off in the tub. Just be sure it doesn't go down the drain!

We use De-Solv-It, which we buy from Amazon.com. Some Wal-Marts carry it, but ours does not. It's a solvent remover, but completely safe to use on the skin. We spray some on, and let it sit for maybe a minute, and sites literally just fall off.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

I use "remove" by smith and nephew. I use the bottled stuff, just soak a couple of Qtips and saturate the oval dexcom dressing and in a few minutes my dd will peel it off. If I have used skin tack then it needs a second application and a little more time, but she still peels it off.

http://wound.smith-nephew.com/CA_EN/...asp?NodeId=645
    Last edited by mmgirls; 10-28-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added link.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9.5 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing - leopard Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net^6 YRS
    Started with Dexcom and now Pinging - gummybears

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

We use Remove and let Jacob do it himself. He can feel what is happening and he won't hurt himself.
    Dave (non D)
    Single father of Jacob (Type 1, dx'd 11/2005, born 12/11/2000)
    Medtronic Revel 722 since 1/08/2012; Apidra
    AccuCheck Aviva meter, Sure T infusion set
    Guardian CGM since 1/9/2012
    Former Animas and Dexcom user
    Father of Andrea, 15 and Logan, 18 (all non D)

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - Oscar Wilde
    "Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert A. Heinlein

I am currently trying out some Medisol (made by the De-Solv-it people, and that stuff has actually be tested and is safe for skin too.. you don't need the specific medisol product)... someone on here mentioned it and I like it a lot, it's orange oil based, not solvent based, so it's gentle on the skin... I haven't had a problemwith it so far, however I'm somewhat dubious in terms of effectiveness... it works, but not as fast as other stuff I have used.

That said, I had a particularly bad reaction to uni-solve recently.. I am convinced that it actually caused a chemical burn in combination wtih some dissolved IV3000... my endo actually agreed that it looked like more than "just" skin irritation caused by the tape (I have a rather large semi-scabbed over area that is ONLY where the IV3000 was.. the area where the dexcom tape was is fine). I have not reacted like this to unisolve or IV300 alone before, but I had never actually used it to remove tape, just the gunky residue left behind at the edges (fingernail polish remover works remarkably well for that as well).
    Sarah T1 dx @ 20 (10/2000)
    mom to 3 non-D kids (6, 8, & 13)
    PINGing Apidra,
    with the occasional help of Dexcom

We use baby oil for dexcom and pump sites. Cheap, smells good and leaves the skin nice and smooth! It just lets the sites melt right off.

Be aware that you'll have to really wipe down the transmitter with alcohol to get all the baby oil off though.
    Joy

Mom to Ava
    Born 06
    dx 07
    Animas PING 2008
    Contact Detach
    Dexcom (the other love of my life)

At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.
    -Jean Houston

We use nothing since it looks like its been a year after 7 days and has hypafix all over it(sides and top only, not touching sensor) so it won't fall off! Darn thing does not stick good for us! For our Pods which stick like glue we use Baby Oil most times.
    SAHM to:

DS 7 yrs old, dx 10/2007
    DS 4 yrs old non-d

Pumping with Omnipod 12/08-12/12, Currently pumping with Animas Ping
    Dexcom 7+ 9/09-present

Thanks everyone - great tips!!!!

AnnK

Mom to Zak - 5 diagnosed 3/07
    Nicole - 16 - don-d

Ann, if you'd like to add a signature to your posts so that you don't have to retype your info at the bottom of each one, you can do so. Go to User CP at the top left hand side of the page and click on it. About midway down the left hand side of that page, you'll see "Edit Signature." Click on that. Then just type whatever info you want to appear at the bottom of each of your posts in that box and click "Save Signature." It's really easy.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014