advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is considered "excessive" urination/thirst?

Default What is considered "excessive" urination/thirst?

I brought my son in to the pediatrician today because he's had several instances of wetting through his diapers and pants. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. He has food allergies so he drinks soy milk. He is supposed to get no more than 24 oz. of soy milk per day and he drinks that before noon. He never has a dry diaper and when I change him after about 3 hours it's so heavy it's falling off. I'd say his diaper is dry for about 15 minutes, max.

My question is, how much urination is considered "excessive" for a 14 month old? How much fluid intake is considered excessive?

His ped gave us a urine collection bag and told us to use it in the morning after we change his night diaper and then dip a dipstick in to see if it changes color. What does that mean if it does?

He has no other symptoms (i.e. no weight loss, no fatigue, etc.) but the ped says that those symptoms are for advanced diabetes and that if it's not advanced he won't appear sick.

I'd love some input from you guys! Thanks so much!

-Alle

Did your peditrician test your childs blood sugar level when you were there today? It seems as though if your ped is saying that your child is having experiencing symptoms of diabetes then a blood glucose test would have been protocol. And when your ped said to dip the stick in the urine did they give any instructions on what you were to do regarding color changes?

These are red flag symptoms of diabetes
    Excessive thirst
    Excessive urination
    weight loss

Make sure to watch for these signs of DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis). shows of any of these symptoms go to the ER:
    Vomiting
    Sweet (fruity) odor to breath
    Dry Mouth
    Drowsiness
    Deep Breathing

If you know of anyone who has diabetes use their meter to test your child with.
    Nikki
    Mom of:
    Caynun 4-Dx 4/22/06 NPH/Humalog
    Darien 14-non D
    Rice 19-non D
    Happily Married to Bill

My children are the only people who know what my heart feels like from the inside.

Alle--
    If the dipstick changes color, it could be one of two things-- the sticks will test for sugar or ketones in the urine. Either one of these appearing on the dipstick would likely mean that your ds is showing a strong possibility of having diabetes.

The other symptoms may be advanced for some. They were very subtle for us. Our dd sleeps very heavily anyway, and was still taking 2-3 hour naps when she was dxd. She was 5. She also had been a very chubby baby, so I didn't think ANYthing of it that she didn't gain any weight between ages 2 and 5-- she weighed 35lb those 3 years. Now looking back, I realize that for her frame, she should have been gaining at least before/around 5 years.

Other things you can look for that may not be obvious symptoms:

dry or itchy skin
    dry mouth
    fruity or acetone (like nail polish remover) smelling breath
    stomachache
    cuts/bruises slow to heal
    frequent infections
    blurry vision

I would especially take note of the breath-- if it smells fruity, I'd take your ds to the ER. A child developing diabetes can get very sick, very quickly.

What did they tell you to do if the dipstick shows color?

~Iana

Iana~T1 dxd 6-91 pumping with new clear MM722, mom to
    10yo Grace~T1 dxd 12.3.05, pumping MM 522
    A1c 8.4% in 07.09
    7yo Mercy~A1c 5.6, No Antibodies at testing 07.16.08

Married to Tom (BigT)~T2 dxd 10.07, currently no meds after bariatric surgery in May 2010, 120 lb lost!

My step-kids, both non-D:
    10yo Alexander
    5yo Hannah

My last A1c~8.9% on 10.18.10 this WILL get better!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for.... but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Nope, they didn't do a blood glucose test. I think the ped's thinking that it's a possibility but not likely? He didn't say that, but I would have thought they could have done a quick finger prick test, no? I was a little surprised.

They said if the dipstick changes color to call the office. My question is, there's a broad range of colors that it can change, from green to brown. If it changes even the slightest bit, is that normal or is that an indication that, regardless of the small change, he has glucose or ketones in his urine?

Quote Originally Posted by allebu View Post
    Nope, they didn't do a blood glucose test. I think the ped's thinking that it's a possibility but not likely? He didn't say that, but I would have thought they could have done a quick finger prick test, no? I was a little surprised.
    I'm very surprised they didnt do a quick finger prick! It seems as though alot of us heard the "not likely" words.
    It may not be Diabetes BUT if it is Diabetesplaying the waiting game around a ped who isnt making sure right from the start can be dangerous.
    Nikki
    Mom of:
    Caynun 4-Dx 4/22/06 NPH/Humalog
    Darien 14-non D
    Rice 19-non D
    Happily Married to Bill

My children are the only people who know what my heart feels like from the inside.

Alle-- those colors sound like they're the type that tests sugar in the urine. I'm not familiar with the colors, so I'm not of much help there. What I do know is that any sugar spilling over in the urine is not normal.

I found this on Yahoo!:

http://health.yahoo.com/topic/diabet...hwise/aa115833

It says toward the bottom, that for sugar to show up in the urine, the blood sugar has to be at least 180, which is a high number for someone who isn't diabetic.

HTH, sorry if I duplicate what someone else posts (while I'm taking forever typing and googling!)

Iana~T1 dxd 6-91 pumping with new clear MM722, mom to
    10yo Grace~T1 dxd 12.3.05, pumping MM 522
    A1c 8.4% in 07.09
    7yo Mercy~A1c 5.6, No Antibodies at testing 07.16.08

Married to Tom (BigT)~T2 dxd 10.07, currently no meds after bariatric surgery in May 2010, 120 lb lost!

My step-kids, both non-D:
    10yo Alexander
    5yo Hannah

My last A1c~8.9% on 10.18.10 this WILL get better!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for.... but while we are here we might as well dance!"

At BG>200 the glucose will show up in his urine. The dipstick will change color and depending on the color, the dr will know if he is having high blood glucose(BG). After night, normal level of BG will be under 120. The dr will also look for ketone in urine, which if they are moderate to large could mean DKA - diabetic ketoacidosis- which in small children is very dangerous. At diagnoses my DD was DKA. They put her in ped ICU for 48 hours with insulin drip.

Here you will find an explanation for the dipstick analysis. Almost in the middle of the page you will find the color chart. The first row is for control(anything on your stick matching first row is safe). The further right your stick mach, the biggest the problem.

http://www.medicine.uiowa.edu/cme/cl....asp?testID=19
    http://www.baptistonline.org/health/...y/test5239.asp

Wetting diapers and pants in 3 hours I will consider excessive.
    Last edited by Danda; 04-18-2007 at 04:29 PM.
    "The person with diabetes who knows the most lives the longest." Dr. Elliott Joslin 1869-1962
    Knowledge is power.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."-Walt Disney
    Mom to Hannah, dx 08/06 at 28 months, pumping with Animas 1250 since 12/03/06, cgms Dex 04/2008

He does have very dry skin, but he's had eczema since birth. Cutting out his allergens has drastically improved but he definitely has very dry skin besides that.

It is excruciating to wait an entire day to test his urine!

Allebu-
    Hang in there. The only advice I can pass on to you is from another post...

You can go to your pharmacy and ask for Ketodiastix (NOT more than $10 at Target-where I live). They are little sticks that test for sugar and ketones in the urine (both of which may be present with a person who has diabetes). If they don't have ketodistix ask for ketostix. Put a cotton ball in your sons diaper and after he has urinated you can squeeze the urine from the ball and dip the stick into the urine. Follow the directions in the packaging for measuring ketone and glucose levels. If anything is out of the normal range, I would immediately call your Dr. to report the readings and tell them that you would like to speak with a Dr. immediately or you will be headed to the ER with your son.

Please know I'm thinking of you and hoping for the best!
    Lanae
    Proud Mom of
    Tyler (19)
    Abby (10) dxd 1/07 Type 1
    Pumping w/MM522 05/02/07
    Novolog/Sure T sites
    CGMS- 8/11/08
    Hashimotos Disease 6/08

"Endless"

Quote Originally Posted by Abby-Dabby-Doo View Post
    Allebu-
    Hang in there. The only advice I can pass on to you is from another post...

You can go to your pharmacy and ask for Ketodiastix (NOT more than $10 at Target-where I live). They are little sticks that test for sugar and ketones in the urine (both of which may be present with a person who has diabetes). If they don't have ketodistix ask for ketostix. Put a cotton ball in your sons diaper and after he has urinated you can squeeze the urine from the ball and dip the stick into the urine. Follow the directions in the packaging for measuring ketone and glucose levels. If anything is out of the normal range, I would immediately call your Dr. to report the readings and tell them that you would like to speak with a Dr. immediately or you will be headed to the ER with your son.

Please know I'm thinking of you and hoping for the best!
    If you purchase ketone sticks and test for ketones as described above and your child has ketones, this is really serious. Your child's life is in danger if he has ketones and you wait before going to the ER.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.