advertisement

Thread: Why does Pedialyte make it difficult?

Default Why does Pedialyte make it difficult?

Okay, so we're still relatively new to this whole carb counting thing, but I've now gotten in to the habit of looking at *everything* to see what the carbs are for future use on Alden. My youngest son had a G.I. issue last week (tmi- diarrhea/vomitting, but no fever), so we were told to give him Pedialyte via syringe every 1/2 hr to prevent dehydration.

Well, I had my DH get some "singles" bottles of it on his way home, and he picked up both the name brand "Pedialyte" and the Wal-Mart brand "Parent's Choice Pediatric Electrolyte" singles. Now, I guess I always assumed that it was government mandated to put the "Nutritional Facts" in a little box and spell out all the Carbs/Calories/etc to make it easy for everyone to see. However, neither one of these electrolyte drinks had one of those "boxes" that I'm so use to quickly looking at... I mean, even my son's Omega-3 vitamins has the box with the info-- so why not the pedialyte???

Does anyone know what the standard carbs are on these-- I imagine it varies by flavor? Here's the thing... it *does* list some info in a small paragraph form on the outer box (not on the individual bottles):
    (per liter): Calories, 100; Dextrose, 20grams; Fructose, 5grams; Potassioum, 20 mEq; Chloride, 35 mEq; Sodium, 45 mEq. I would assume then that the carbs are 25g/liter--- however in the Ingredidents listed it also mentions "Sucralose"... besides the dextrose and fructose. I know that is basically "Splenda", right?, and has no carbs, but I thought that these can also raise bg? I just remember our dietician telling us that it would be better to avoid chemical sweetners and instead use traditional sugar.
    Cherie (dx: Rheumatoid Arthritis)

Mom to:
    Alexander- 4 yrs. Non-D
    Alden- 3 yrs; dx: 12/30/08 at 10 months old; pumping with Blue Animas Ping since diagnosis, DexCom Seven+ CGM 7/09.
    Alijah- 2 yrs. Non-D
    Happily married wife to Allen.:

"Surrounded by men... and most of them are in training pants!"
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 15 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Novolog and Levemir)

Yes- that's the "box" I was looking for on the packaging... interesting though, that your one link said "0" carbs, and the other said "6"grams?
    Cherie (dx: Rheumatoid Arthritis)

Mom to:
    Alexander- 4 yrs. Non-D
    Alden- 3 yrs; dx: 12/30/08 at 10 months old; pumping with Blue Animas Ping since diagnosis, DexCom Seven+ CGM 7/09.
    Alijah- 2 yrs. Non-D
    Happily married wife to Allen.:

"Surrounded by men... and most of them are in training pants!"
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

If it were me I would go with 6 carbs.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 15 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Novolog and Levemir)

Sorry, this won't help over the weekend, but I called the company once and got the carb count. We had the big bottle, and they told me carbs per once. Of course that was a year ago, and I don't have it anymore. Wish I had kept it on file. As it turns out, she hated it, so we just used gatoraide instead. She was about 18 months at the time and did fine with the gatoraide. Run it by your pedi. At least the carb counting is easier.
    Joy

Mom to Ava
    Born 06
    dx 07
    Animas PING 2008
    Contact Detach
    Dexcom 7+ (the other love of my life)

At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.
    -Jean Houston