advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Can insulin be frozen?

Default Help! Can insulin be frozen?

In the hotel we are in the fridge froze a bunch of our food. And I am scared it might have frozen my extra insulin. If it did it wasn't completely because there was definately movement in the vials. But if it did freeze it a little is it ruined? I am on holidays and I don't have access to my pharmacist. She needs more NPH tomorrow.
    Mother to Emmalene (13 yrs old) Type 1 diagnosed March 17, 2009
    Also, mother to Gregory 16 and Clara 19.

I don't think you should it insulin even if it's a little frozen. Not sure though.
    Can you call a local doc and see if your endo can fax a script for you, and get the local doc to make you an official one??
    Can the hotel check where the closest pharmacy is?
    Mom to 2 boys (8 & 10), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

By the book... frozen insulin should be discarded.....

That being said, wait till morning for others to chime in from experience.

If I found myself in that situation (limited, immediate access to a pharmacy), I would probably remove it to thaw and, providing it's clear, give it a try and monitor closely. If his numbers went wonky, I would immediately assume frozen insulin, discard, and crack open a new vial.

The frozen insulin won't hurt your daughter. I would expect it not to work and her blood sugar will be high until you get a new bottle.

Some states sell NPH over the counter. You could ask to see if this is true in the state you are in now.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

Where are you BCMom? Last time I was in Canada and needed insulin, a pharmacy sold it to me over the counter and said it wasn't necessary to have a script in Canada (this was in Sask.).

I wouldn't use it. We had a frozen-insulin incident here at home last year and were instructed to toss it.

Good luck.

Mary Lou

Mother of Brian, Age 14, dx'd Jan 18, 2004, pumping 4 years, CGM June 2007
    Mother of Andrew, Age 11, dx'd June 14, 2007, pumping the very next day, June 15, 2007, CGM June 2008

Watch Our YouTube Movie -- Brothers for a Cure:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5OCLgiDYE

We were told never to use frozen insulin, that it doesn't work after being frozen.
    Melinda

Married to DH for over 23 years
    Mom to 2 awesome teenagers
    DD Shauna~ almost 19 non-D
    DS Cole~ 16 1/2 , type 1- diagnosed age 10
    pumping with MM 722 since Fall of 2008

Yes, if your hotel is in Canada you should be able to buy it OTC if need be. Good luck.
    Holly

mom to Aaron, 18, dx'd Sept 05

Seems to me that you can get the pharmacy to 'download' your script from your regular pharmacy in order to get it filled. For example, we have our scripts down at Costco, but if I were stuck, I could go to Zellers and ask them to 'call up' Costco to fill in an emergency script.
    ------------------------
    Tim - Emma'sDad

Emma is 10 years old. DXed Aug'05.
    Levemir, NovoRapid, One Touch Ultra-Smart, Freestyle Insulinx?

Zoe born Aug 2007. Non-D

Also, I would speak to the manager of the hotel, and if you have to pay out of pocket, have the hotel reimburse you for the cost.

It may be an uphill battle, but if they are a reputable hotel, they should ante up.
    Joy

Mom to Ava
    Born 06
    dx 07
    Animas PING 2008
    Contact Detach
    Dexcom 7+ (the other love of my life)

At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.
    -Jean Houston

As for the 'maybe frozen' insulin, I'd give it a try, if BGs go down as expected, then you're good. "Being in Canada", not to inforce stereotypism, we have to deal with going outside often and I'm sure that Emma's insulin pen goes down below storage temperatures very often.
    ------------------------
    Tim - Emma'sDad

Emma is 10 years old. DXed Aug'05.
    Levemir, NovoRapid, One Touch Ultra-Smart, Freestyle Insulinx?

Zoe born Aug 2007. Non-D