advertisement
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WHEN do you stop testing in the middle of the night???

Default WHEN do you stop testing in the middle of the night???

It's 2 am and I routinely get up to test Kendall quickly and most of the time she's fine. BUT, just when I think, "OK, I don't need to be doing this......" She's 56. Retested to make sure, and she's 50. Now, I wait. How to people decide not to check? I don't think I'd sleep - I'd keep wondering how low she was.. sigh.

Paula
    mom to Kendall, 8/22/00 & dx'd 11/3/07, Omnipod, 9/3/08
    Spencer, dx'd 1/4/11 1/27/98
    Evan, 3/16/96
    Wife of Jim since 1993

I'm sitting here with a 378. Two nights ago we were also in the 50's.

I feel your pain!!!
    Lynn
    Mom to Nathan
    Born 5-22-03
    Diagnosed 2-7-06
    Pumping with Cozmo

Never. You may have a stretch where you don't need to check, but then poof, a crazy number will come up and it's 2am and you're watching infomercials!

Last night, Abby was 195 when I went to bed. Nice. So, I decided not to check, and she wakes up at 317! So, it looks like for the next few nights we'll be doing some checking to see what's up.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

When we were on injections we never tested in the night (after the first couple of months) unless he was sick.

Now we use a CGM with the pump so we only check when the alarm goes off, which is the "weak signal" error 99% of the time. The sensor's on his arm, when he sleeps on that arm and the pump gets pushed around to the other side it sometimes gets the error.

I always check my son before I go to bed around 11:30. I will decide not to test later if things have been relatively stable the last few nights, my son did not have a lot of exercise that day, and ate a good well balanced dinner with some fats. My son really goes down at night with exercise so those nights I usually get up.

I check whenever I wake up spontaneously in the middle of the night, which usually means 3 or 4 nights out of 7. I probably don't have to check every time I wake up like that, because the lowest I've caught recently has been 80, but old habits die hard. I don't know that I woke up "just because" or because I'm low, and the only way to tell is to test.
    Dxd Type 1: 09/1996 at age 14
    Apidra in Animas 2020 pump;
    My Basal Rate: 0.200u/hr
    A1c: 7.2 (07/2010)
    Proud mommy of:
    Patrick age 8, non-D
    William age 3, non-D

Quote Originally Posted by Pauji5 View Post
    It's 2 am and I routinely get up to test Kendall quickly and most of the time she's fine. BUT, just when I think, "OK, I don't need to be doing this......" She's 56. Retested to make sure, and she's 50. Now, I wait. How to people decide not to check? I don't think I'd sleep - I'd keep wondering how low she was.. sigh.
    I will never stop checking. My SD is super sensitive to foods at night and I just can't trust that she would be sitting at a good number without me checking. I usually check a couple times a night even (every 3-4 hours). I have had highs and lows both. I don't feel her Diabetes goes away at night so I shouldn't stop being on top of things. JMO
    Last edited by zell828; 09-22-2009 at 09:28 AM.
    Stepmom to 14 year old girl and bio Mom to 12 year old boy.
    Stepdaughter diagnosed 02/11/2008
    Pumping with MM 723 Revel with Quicksets since 10/17/2008
    Started the MM CGMS on 02/12/2009
    Married 22 years - husband type 2 diabetic

Sandy

"God doesn't give to us what we can handle,
    God helps us handle what we are given"

When his numbers start being 'not good' we start checking in the night. When he was on the pen we rarely had to check. Sometimes if one of us gets up, we'll just go check, if he's been sick-we check, etc. It will probably be on & off checking in the night forever. Just a way of life now.
    Melinda

Married to DH for over 23 years
    Mom to 2 awesome teenagers
    DD Shauna~ almost 19 non-D
    DS Cole~ 16 1/2 , type 1- diagnosed age 10
    pumping with MM 722 since Fall of 2008

either when there is a cure or megan moves out on her own, whatever comes first, until then 02:00 every night
    John McLeod
    Daughter diagnosed, March 16, 2004
    Minimed 522 with ccgm, now also untethered with glargine

We are going on our 5th year with D and I am up every two hours. Crazy yes, but my body is in the routine and my mind needs the reassurance.
    Watch about our school discrimination video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sosy28LE4Do

Hunter's video story
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnJsm8vqLJs

Kathy
    Mom to Hunter, age 12 dx'd 1 month before his 8th b'day 8/23/04 and dx'd with thyroid disease April 08
    Cozmo May 2006-2008
    MM Real Time CGMS April 08[/COLOR
    ]
    Mom to Katie, age 9 and non-diabetic