advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does your child's school do overnight things?

Default Does your child's school do overnight things?

Coco is leaving bright and early tomorrow morning to go away until Friday to Conservation Camp...I am so sick with worry and packed way to many glucose tabs...

I saw this coming ,and last year, I said - I will be ready! But - well, I am not! This is the only school that I have heard of that sends them on overnights as a part of the regular curriculum...anybody elses school do that?
    I'm still here.
    DD - 15 - Lantus and MM Pump/Dex G4

Ugh, I'd be a bit nervous too

Our school used to do a week long thing they called "natures classroom" but they dropped it last year - too expensive I think - but all I could do was breath a big sigh of relief!

Who's your adult on charge? Did the nurse go? Are they terribly far from home?
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

I have never heard of schools taking them places over night like that.. I can't blame you for being nervous.. But, just try to relax.. I am sure things will be fine.. Teach the teacher or nurse or adult in charge all the basic things and give them your phone number.. It will all work out just fine.

Savannah
    Mother to two beautiful boys
    Cayden Lane(9) DX'd Oct 5, 2007 Pumping with Animas Ping since Oct 2, 2008.. Currently Racing dirtbikes and playing baseball!
    Landon Trevor(12) Non-D currently playing baseball!
    Wife to Daniel - Type 1 for 33 yrs!

http://www.youtube.com/CaydensMommy05

"There are lot's of things to think about but nothing to worry about!!"

We go on two trips - France and Belgium - for history, one at age 13-14 and one at 15ish, but neither of them are overnight. We leave at 3AM and get back at about 1AM the next day, IIRC.

My sister is 10, and at her school they do one weekend trip.
    EMMA - 21
    diagnosed T1 6th july 2007
    pumping with MM522 since july 2008
    MM523 since august 2012
    MM CGMS since november 2009

cetirizine hydrochloride for solar urticaria dx'd in 2002
    levothyroxine for autoimmune hypothyroidism dx'd 13th may 2010
    venlafaxine, mirtazapine, lamotrigine and diazepam for bipolar disorder
    studying psychology at university

twitter @emm142

Our school has trips in 6th-8th grade. On some trips, parent chaperones are allowed, so my DH usually goes. He likes the camping/hiking stuff anyway. This year (8th grade) they are off to Astro Camp for 3 nights/4 days. We were lucky that in 6th grade, when they don't allow parents, one my son's teachers who went, used to work for Eli Lilly, so she had some diabetes experience, and then they also sent the health aide to keep an eye on things. I definitely understand your concerns, but I am sure your daughter will have a great time!
    Caryn
    Mom of Noah 20 non-d
    Drew 17 (dx - 12/05 ), pump break as of 4/13 (previously using Medtronic Revel 12/12 )
    Kyra 13 non-d

The 1st year Em was dxd went on school camping trip...looking back I dont know how i ever let her go (well there was a GREAAAT teacher/friend to dh that went and a nurse was there)....she loved it (but was still on shots which stunk).....the next 2 years i was able to go to weekend outings as a chaperone. Not sure if there will be any in HS
    [FONT="Century Gothic"]Linda, Mom of Em- 18!! College Bound!! ; Dxd 10 Type 1;Dxd Factor IV Clotting disorder; dxd Dysautonomia; Animas Ping;

Mom of Drew, 13- No D; Musician; Honor Student

Wife to Steve 22 years and never had a fight

1 lovable Pittbull Harley[/FONT]

I imagine they do in the older grades. Not positive but I imagine there is a trip to DC in middle school.

Lia's school used to do an overnight trip in the fourth grade for their big field trip. They went to Mackinac Island and stayed overnight. They no longer do that. Thank goodness. Not so much because of D, because I would insist on going but because of cost. As it is the big 4th grade trip this year which is just a day trip will cost around $200 for the two of us. I know it was a lot more to go to Mackinac.
    Laurie

Mom to Lia Grace, 13 yrs, dx 1/13/06 at age 5.
    Started with NPH and Regular, switched to Lantus and Novolog after three months and then started pumping after 1.5 years.
    CURRENTLY Pumping with the Animas Ping and using the Dexcom G4.

Our 6th graders go on a 2 night trip to "outdoor ed" - parents are allowed to go as chaperones.

I am not worrying about it since I've just decided one of us will have to go as a chaperone so we are at least there if there is a need. I don't necessarily want to be in the same cabin or follow him around all day but the camp is far away so I'd like to be in the area.

Frankly I cannot imagine him being 11 years old and taking care of himself so I'm just speculating - LOL! Maybe I'll decide he'll be fine to go without the helicopter mom....
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

Hey Becky! My 11 year old is going away for a week to Nature's Classroom in NH. We had an info session in the Spring and all I could think about was OMG how am I going to let Griffin do this in 6 years!!!

(((hugs)))

Kirsten
    Kirsten

Griffin (6) dx 5/21/05 @ 18 months
    Pumping since 6/06 with Omnipod

^Griffin at 2.5 with Pod at beach.

Cooper (12) non D
    Wife to Peter dx type 2 while I was preg with
    Griffin!
    Trainer of Tessie diabetes alert dog extraordinaire!

No nurse - but a trained health person...he has actually had T1's on the trip for the last 2 years and they had no complaints! And no, no parents (she would freak anyway!)..this is going to be a rough two nights!
    I'm still here.
    DD - 15 - Lantus and MM Pump/Dex G4