advertisement
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sample Back to School Supply Lists for D

Default Sample Back to School Supply Lists for D

I've been putting together all of Connor's supplies and forms for back-to-school. It is always time consuming (and expensive!) to put all his kits together. I typed up our school supply lists for his diabetes supplies for this year, and I thought that some of you might find it helpful when you are preparing for school for your child. Please let me know if there is anything I should add, and please add your own inventory lists to this thread. Connor is on MDI, going into 2nd grade, carrying his own diabetes bag with a meter and basic supplies. It would be great to get some supply lists for children who are pumping, using CGMS's, are more independent or less independent in their care, etc. I love when we can all learn from each other. Thank you!

Sample List of Type-1 Diabetic Back-to-School Supplies
    Student is on Multiple Daily Injections (MDI), 2nd grader, public school with full time school nurse

Supplies for School Nurse: (tackle box sized container labeled "Medical Supplies", name, type-1 diabetes, home phone number, recent photo of child taped to top of box). Label all supplies with child's name using a Sharpie pen.

Log book: for notes to/from home to school nurse about blood sugars, record of lunch consumed and insulin dosage, supplies needing replenishment, notes about changes in ratios, upcoming appointments or field trip coverage, etc.

504 Plan with health care accommodations

Diabetes Individual Health Plan (DIHP) with medical care instructions from endocrinologist to school nurse (print pages 57-60 from "Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed manual if you don't have one)

Quick Reference Emergency Plan for a Student with Diabetes from "Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed - A Guide for School Personnel"

Blood glucose meter and carrying case (make sure date/time are set correctly and batteries are fresh)

Lancet device and extra drums or lancets

Testing strips and extra strips

Spare batteries for meter

Glucose tablets - bottle of 50 tablets

Juice boxes - 15 grams per juice box (Apple & Eve brand is exactly 15g)

Alcohol prep pads - 100 pads/box

Insta-Glucose rapidly absorbed glucose gel

Glucagon Emergency Kit for Low Blood Sugar - check expiration date

Insulin pen or syringes, pre-filled with insulin cartridge

Insulin pen needle refills - box of 100

Insulin cartridge refill (1-2)

Calorie King book to look up carb counts

Ketostix - reageent strips for urinalysis (if endo requests this)

Manuals for meter, insulin pen, glucagon, etc. from manufacturer

Refillable water bottle for treating high blood sugars or supply of bottled waters

Supply of 15 gram long-acting snacks for treating low blood sugars or to get blood sugar up before riding bus home

Class Kit: to be kept in classroom for quick treatment of severe low blood sugars or lock-down situation. I use a small plastic box, smaller than a shoe box, labeled "Class Kit" with student's name, type-1 diabetic, home and cell phone numbers, 3 glucose tabs or 1 juice box if low (quick instructions for low)

Quick Reference Emergency Plan for a Student with Diabetes from "Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed - A Guide for School Personnel"

504 Plan with health care accomodations (may be kept in teacher's binder)

Substitute information form (may be kept in teacher's binder)

3 Juice boxes, 15 grams of carbs each

Glucose tabs, 1 roll

15 gram long acting snack

Bottled water

Office Kit: to be kept in school office emergency kit for quick treatment of severe low blood sugars or lock-down situation. I use a small plastic box, smaller than a shoe box, labeled "Office Kit" with student's name, type-1 diabetic, home and cell phone numbers, 3 glucose tabs or 1 juice box if low (quick instructions for low)

3 Juice boxes, 15 grams of carbs each

Glucose tabs, 1 roll

15 gram long acting snack

Bottled water

Specials Kits: to be kept with specials teachers (one for each teacher: art, gym, music, etc.) wherever they are teaching classes. I use a sandwich baggie labeled with student's name, type-1 diabetes, instructions for treating a low blood sugar.

2 Juice boxes, 15 grams of carbs each

Glucose tabs, 1 roll

Bus: Quick Reference Emergency Plan for a Student with Diabetes from "Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed - A Guide for School Personnel" (Connor carries own D-bag at all times)

Diabetes Bag: to be carried by student. I use this bag from L.L. Bean http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tn&cat4=504158 because it is lightweight and small, it's sporty, and it contains all needed supplies discreetly and it is economical.

Blood glucose meter and carrying case

Lancet device and refills (kept in meter carrying case)

Spare battery for meter (kept in side pocket of meter carrying case)

Alcohol wipes (kept in side pocket of meter carrying case)

Tissues or cotton squares for blotting fingers after blood glucose checks

Juice box, 15 grams

Glucose tabs, 1 roll

15 gram long-acting snack

Small water bottle (refillable)

References:
    Quick Reference Emergency Plan: http://ndep.nih.gov/media/Youth_NDEPSchoolGuide.pdf - print pages 61-62

Sample 504 Plans: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/504/

ADA Safe at School Information: http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy-and...ion/school.jsp

_________ State Laws for Type-1 Diabetic Children in Public Schools: http://www.diabetes.org/uedocuments/...de49.5.415.pdf (for our state)

Diabetes Individual Health Plan (DIHP): get from pediatric endocrinologist or print pages 57-60 from http://ndep.nih.gov/media/Youth_NDEPSchoolGuide.pdf if your endo does not have its own form

504 Manual for State of _________: http://tennessee.gov/education/spece...tion504man.pdf (for our state)
    Last edited by momandwifeoftype1s; 08-14-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added some information
    Amy
    Mom of Connor - 12, T-1, dx 11/6/06, MDI, Novolog & Lantus
    Mom of Grant - 10, impaired OGTT and positive for 2 autoantibodies, TrialNet Teplizumab study starting 8/4/14
    Brian (husband) is 41, T-1, dx age 15, MDI, Humalog & Lantus

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You, too? Thought I was the only one.'" - C.S. Lewis

wow now i feel very unprepaired ...what an extensive list, very helpful
    Misty, dx 1/5/09, Type 1.5, Omnipod, hypothyroidism, endometriosis
    mother to Taylor 9, dx 2/5/08 pumping since 5/1/08 with animas 2020 pink pump, Celiac 4/10,
    pump/cgms'ing with purple Revel 7/13/10

"What dosent kill us makes us stronger!"...but how strong exactly do i have to be?

It's been in the making since Kindergarten, so it's been a long process to finally get it all written out and organized. I'm sure I'll still be working on it in years to come too. I need to get a new card reader for my camera so I can add some visuals. We have a new computer, but my digital camera card doesn't fit. I'd love to see lists for those of you who have children with pumps too. Or - feedback on my list if anyone notices things missing or way too overkill. Thank you!
    Amy
    Mom of Grant - 10, impaired OGTT and positive for 2 autoantibodies, TrialNet Teplizumab study starting 8/4/14

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You, too? Thought I was the only one.'" - C.S. Lewis

This is how prepared I hope to be when dd gets to K. Why leave anything to chance. D supplies everywhere ust in case. Thnaks for posting. I'm saving a copy so I havesoto use next year.
    Sherry, mom of
    Lilli, 12, non D
    James, 9, non D
    Charlotte, 5, dx'd 2/08 pumping with a purple minimed 522 as of 5/08
    wife of Bill, Grand Poobah
    daughter, sister, aunt, neighbor and mom to type 1s
    Be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by shekov View Post
    This is how prepared I hope to be when dd gets to K. Why leave anything to chance. D supplies everywhere ust in case. Thnaks for posting. I'm saving a copy so I havesoto use next year.
    Great! That's what I was hoping - that it would save another mom or dad from having to reinvent the wheel. We used these same supplies for 1st grade too. The only difference is that Connor will be carrying his own diabetes bag this year instead of the teacher carrying it. There was a spare meter in Connor's Class Kit last year because he didn't carry it himself. His teacher helped him to use it, and kept it handy on a shelf in her room. I would have set up the same supply list in Kindergarten if I had time to think before he started school. It was a daily struggle for us when he first started school - so many details to try to remember. I hope that the school transition is much easier for you.
    Amy

Holy cow...great list that makes me realize I'm NO WHERE near having all of that gathered for Griffen and school starts in 2.5 weeks! ACK!!!
    Stacey
    Mom to two fantastic boys
    Griffen, age 9 dx'd July 10, 2009*Pumpin with a Ping*
    Grayson, age 10 Non D
    Wife to Glen aka Happy

Default Packing List

Awesome list. Thank you for taking the time to share. You are great! We have couple other things we take at the start of each school year: An extra pair on underware and pants kept in a gallon zip lock bag in the nurses office(Ds has never needed in 6 years but we both work and he would hate to wait for us to get there and be wet. Rarely has high bg to the point of urinary accident but we fiqure better to plan ahead) Diet soda marked with a sharpie "Not to be used for low BG" because there have many quite a few times they have things like root beer float parties and have ended up being called asking what to do.... so now have a diet soda there waiting.

Our school had a couple lock downs last year. Those must be increasing so I loved your idea of the small baggies in many areas.

Have a fantastic school year.

Lianne
    Mom to:
    Carly (16) non D
    Reese (14) dx T1 10/21/02 at age 5 MDI Lantus/Hum
    Wife to Bob-love of my life keeps me laughing

Quote Originally Posted by gboysmom View Post
    Holy cow...great list that makes me realize I'm NO WHERE near having all of that gathered for Griffen and school starts in 2.5 weeks! ACK!!!
    You can always start with the most important stuff first, and then add to the supplies later in the year. I'd start with the supplies in the nurse's office (or trained diabetic personnel) first and filling out a DIHP with help from your endo until you get a formalized 504 Plan and get other trained personnel throughout the school. I'd also fill out the Quick Reference Emergency Plan for a Student with Diabetes from "Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed - A Guide for School Personnel" - print pages 61-62, and make copies for the nurse, teacher, specials teachers, and bus driver (anyone who has sole responsibility for your child at any time). Good luck!
    Last edited by momandwifeoftype1s; 08-05-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added more info
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by MTMomma View Post
    Awesome list. Thank you for taking the time to share. You are great! We have couple other things we take at the start of each school year: An extra pair on underware and pants kept in a gallon zip lock bag in the nurses office(Ds has never needed in 6 years but we both work and he would hate to wait for us to get there and be wet. Rarely has high bg to the point of urinary accident but we fiqure better to plan ahead) Diet soda marked with a sharpie "Not to be used for low BG" because there have many quite a few times they have things like root beer float parties and have ended up being called asking what to do.... so now have a diet soda there waiting.

Our school had a couple lock downs last year. Those must be increasing so I loved your idea of the small baggies in many areas.

Have a fantastic school year.
    You're welcome, and thanks for the tips about the change of clothes and diet soda!
    Amy

Awesome list.
    I send a whole lot of waterbottles, juice and Teddy Grahams for the nurses office. And I
    Send an "earthquake" box,
    with like jerky, granola bars, things that keep, in case they ever are stuck @ school. We keep a lantus pen @ school for this reason.
    And single cheese squares for a free snack sine we're still 2x shots a day. I think the photo of your kid is so important and copies for all of staff to have.
    Happy, single Mom to sweet Evan, Type 1 Since Age 5, now a healthy 9 and Avery, age 12 my teen junior & non diabetic

Pumping as of 10-14-09
    CGM too-

"Just keep swimming"