advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling guilty about needing a break

Default Feeling guilty about needing a break

I'm a teacher and am home during the summer so all of the d care is mine during these months. The kids were supposed to go visit their dad but he cancelled, and I'm feeling wiped out. My fiance does the best he can helping me but he works 12 hour days and commutes 45 minutes each way on top of that.

I'm feeling guilty because I want a break. I think it may be because I'm tired. We had a fundraiser for our walk team on Saturday and Ben was running around like crazy...went to bed at 176, when we checked at 2 am, he was 60 and that scared me silly, so I didn't sleep well that night or last night.

What gets you through these days? What do you do when you feel a little overwhelmed by it all and a much needed tropical vacation is out of the question ?????

Thanks for listening...
    Beth
    Mom of:
    N, 14
    B, 12, dx 3/9/09, Pumping (as of 10/19/09) with Clear MM 522 and CGM (as of June 2010)
    D, 2

Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

What gets me thru? Prayer and a nice frosty adult beverage now and then. I'm sorry you're not getting the break I'm sure you could use. Thinking about you...HUGS!!!!!
    Stacey
    Mom to two fantastic boys
    Griffen, age 9 dx'd July 10, 2009*Pumpin with a Ping*
    Grayson, age 10 Non D
    Wife to Glen aka Happy

No no no Beth! no feeling guilty about that hon. Diabetes is 24/7 as you well know, theres nothing much like that. Even with newborn babys the little buggers sleep and give you some rest, and they grow out of the newborn faze eventually. Why did their father cancel? If hes supposed to have planned visitation with them then by golly he should have his butt there to pick the kids up. You do need and deserve a break and you time its real important when your child has d. Ive been doing this for 5 years and I take all the breaks I can get and no longer feel guilty about it. At least one day on the weekend I try to go out for a few hours shopping or flea marketing while the boys hang with my husband.
    Becky, Mom to Steven 12, dxd 7/04 MDI humolog and Lantus, Harry 14 non-d My 2 awesome boys

Right now three things remain: Faith, hope and love But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

"There is no rightness in diabetes. Just sometimes, you're less wrong." by Jacobs Dad

I can't remember what book it was in but it talked about Caregiver Burnout. I got it pretty bad around Charlie's one year anniversary.
    I ended up going on a mommy daughter trip to visit my parents for a week. It was amazing how much it recharged my batteries. An added benefit of the trip was that my DH took the week off so he could take care of Charlie and he learned what it's like to deal with it ALL the time not just evenings and weekends.
    Don't feel bad about wanting a break. You need to take care of yourself.
    ~Marci~
    Mom to Charlie, diagnosed 1-27-2007 at 19 months
    and Alyssa

I agree, don't feel bad about needing a break. I think everyone on board has felt or is feeling that.
    That's the nature of the beast. It's always here, there, everywhere. And time off is so hard sometimes.
    HUGS!!! I know what you're feeling.
    Mom to 2 boys (6 & 8), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

Please don't feel guilty, you do deserve a break, I think everyone on these boeards can attest to that. I also like the use of a cold adult beverage, it helps me relax and just go with the flow sometimes. I hope that you can get a break soon, if only for a couple of days. (by the way, where are you in Indiana? We're in Westfield about 45 minutes north of Indy)
    Melissa
    mom of two Type 1 kids
    Matthew dob; 10/00 Dx date 01/25/09 Animas ping 9/09, T-slim 7/13, Dexcom 8/13
    Allison dob 10/03; Dx date 02/02/09, Animas Ping 9/09, T-slim 7/13, Dexcom 8/13

We are only 3 months into this and I'm already feeling this. I'm also a teacher,but my son goes to my school. While I totally appreciate how easy this makes it for taking care of him,not to mention not having to leave his D care up to someone else at school, I feel like I never get a break from it. On top of that, I've got a 21-month old who still refuses to sleep through the night so I'm either up at night checking Liam or taking care of the baby.We are going away for a week to Disney in 3 weeks and for 2 whole nights of that trip DH will be taking Liam and my oldest away to the beach so I won't have any reason to get up in the night. I feel guilty about how much I'm looking forward to this little break. Of course, being the control freak that I am, I probably won't sleep because I'll be wondering if my DH will wake up to check him in the night.
    Bridget
    Full-time teacher by day and 24hour Mom to:
    Mackenzie-14, Liam-13 (dx May 8/09) ,Molly-12, Quinn-10, Bailey-7,and Keigan-4

Pumping with blue animas PING as of Feb. 22, 2010

What gets me through? I just put one foot in front of the other. I am right there with you these days. I have been battling blood sugars and ketones all day and they are so stubborn that it's looking like I'll be up through the night. I DON'T WANT TO!!!

Sorry for crying about my own problems. I have no magic advise. When I get to this point I just keep plugging away until I feel the sunshine again.
    Lynn
    Mom to Nathan
    Born 5-22-03
    Diagnosed 2-7-06
    Pumping with Cozmo

Thanks all. I was feeling a little better and then I forgot to give Ben his Lantus tonight. UGH. First time that has happened A nice mini-break will come tomorrow with an outing with the teacher from work before school starts...I may even sneak in an adult beverage. Sorry for listening...it's just been one of those weeks for no real reason.
    Beth
    Mom of:
    N, 14
    B, 12, dx 3/9/09, Pumping (as of 10/19/09) with Clear MM 522 and CGM (as of June 2010)
    D, 2

Quote Originally Posted by mamort View Post
    Please don't feel guilty, you do deserve a break, I think everyone on these boeards can attest to that. I also like the use of a cold adult beverage, it helps me relax and just go with the flow sometimes. I hope that you can get a break soon, if only for a couple of days. (by the way, where are you in Indiana? We're in Westfield about 45 minutes north of Indy)
    We are in Highland. Almost as far Northwest as you can go before hitting the Lake or Illinois
    Beth
    Mom of:
    N, 14
    D, 2