advertisement

Thread: Red, Swollen Ears

Default Red, Swollen Ears

My little boy (Weston-2) has very large, red, swollen itchy ears. I started noticing one was like this last week, but I thought it was from his brother hitting it It continues to be swollen and now the other is too. The only thing I can think of is that he is allergic to something. At the babysitter's house where he goes while I work she lays out sheepskins with a blanket on top for rest/nap time. I am thinking he might be allergic to lanolin on the wool. I can't think of anything else that would make both ears swollen, itchy and red other than that. One is slightly more than the other so if he was flipping his head from side to side while sleeping this could be it. It is always something isn't it. I can hear his breathing is a little off so I am watching him closely ready to call for an appointment. We gave him a little bit of benedryl last night and put some topical anti-itch cream on too but they are still bad.

Anyone's kid ever have swollen ears before??
    Heather-mom to:
    Anna(11) 2/16/02 dx T1 2/5/09 Pumping with the MM Paradigm Insulin Pump since 7/2009 and occassionaly CGMS, Levemir, trying the Omnipod!
    Matthew(9) 2/25/04(non-D)
    Weston(6) 3/14/07(non-D)

I thought of allergy also. My son used to get red ears (not swollen) from certain kinds of spaghetti sauce. I never could figure out the ingredient that was causing it.

thanks for the tips.

she gave me a cream to put on slightly stronger than over the counter. After just two applications it's gone down. We'll have to see if it comes back after he's at the babysitter's house and then we'll atleast be able to narrow it down a little.
    Heather-mom to:
    Anna(11) 2/16/02 dx T1 2/5/09 Pumping with the MM Paradigm Insulin Pump since 7/2009 and occassionaly CGMS, Levemir, trying the Omnipod!
    Weston(6) 3/14/07(non-D)

Don't know if he has been outside but... My son got gnat bites on his ears. They got red and really swelled up.

interesting, yes, i remember those terrible gnat bites. now he has a fever and just woked up and fell asleep again, so I wonder if the ears was part of it??? who knows, we'll see how today goes.
    Heather-mom to:
    Weston(6) 3/14/07(non-D)

When my son was younger, this would happen to him occasionally (maybe once or twice a year, usually in the summer). I always thought it was probably an allergic reaction, but never did figure out what it was from. I haven't seen a similar reaction in years now (he is now 13).

Beth
    Mom of 3 boys; oldest dx 5/04 at age 8 (now 14)
    pumping with MM722 since 4/07