advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you tell people ahead of time about diabetes?

Default Do you tell people ahead of time about diabetes?

In the next few weeks Kylee and I are going to meet up with a friend of mine from school and have lunch with her and her daughter. I have known this woman since 5th grade(when we HATED eachother) and we were good friends in high school. I havent seen her in probably 8 years, since right after her daughter was born. I got to thinking about it tonight and since we will be eating and Kylee pokes her finger and does her shot at the table they will figure it out then. Kylee doesnt mind people asking questions, but for the daughters sake, Ive been thinking about telling my friend about Kylee so she can let her daughter know what she is doing. Do you tell people ahead of time?
    Jill

Wife to Steve
    Mom to
    Dakota-16
    Hunter-14
    and
    Kylee-12~diagnosed 11/5/07 using Novolog and Lantus and CGMing with Dexcom

Wow, that is a good question. I would ask Kylee what she wants to do. On the other hand if you tell this friend and she cancels the get together because of this then you will know what kind of a friend she really is. If she is a really good friend then it should not bother her at all.

No. We just go along our normal routine and when they ask, we just say "she has diabetes". If they ask more, I answer. There is no preparation her daughter needs. It is what it is
    ~Nancy
    Mother to:
    Samantha - 17
    Michael - 14
    Emma - 9 (2/16/05 dx 3/07, dx Celiac 1/10) - Pumping with a Pink Animas Ping! as of 9/07, with t:slim as of 8/14!

CGMSing as of 3/26/09 with Navigator, 9/14/12 with Dex 7, 12/5/12 with dex G4

If it's an old friend, chances are they know already. For people we've just met, we explain if they ask. That said, I am fairly discreet in restaurants and family will even say - did you give him his shot yet?
    Denise, Mama to:
    Jacob, 10 yrs, 4th grade - diagnosed type 1 on 12/15/08
    novolog & levemir MDI still honeymooning?

Evelyn, 8 yrs, 2nd grade, antibodies negative

Arrange whatever pieces come your way.
    --Virginia Woolf

I agree with Nancy. There isn't any need to "prepare" the other child. I'll go further and suggest that if you tell your friend ahead of time in order to "prepare" her daughter and she herself knows squat about D she'll bungle it and in the end it will be awkward for one person, your daughter, because your friend and her daughter will have had time to establish that she's "got a disease" -kwim? Just go, have lunch, have fun
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in VA View Post
    No. We just go along our normal routine and when they ask, we just say "she has diabetes". If they ask more, I answer. There is no preparation her daughter needs. It is what it is
    I agree. The more you "prepare" her the more fear she could have about T1D. Keep it matter-of-fact and enjoy!! When she sees how your dd handles the bg checks, she'll be fine.
    If your child was going to have to be chased around the table to have her finger stuck, then some warning might be in order.
    God is good all the time, and all the time God is good!
    Carol

Homeschooling mom to
    A dx. Hashi's 9/08, Celiac 10/08 and
    N dx. T1D 10/05, Celiac 6/08, pumped with Animas from 1/06-7/13, currently MDI (unexpected side effect of Diabetes Camp )

Some people are really needle/blood phobic so while I would not tell her ahead of time, it's always best to be as "discreet" as possible at the table. I would "tell" them then about her D, but not "show" them if they are uncomfortable with it (or if Kylee is).

My niece passed out when she had her ears pierced. Her 6'4'' father has done the same with needles. Their needle and blood phobia is pretty bad and my sister has asked that we do not let them "see" the needles. I can respect that because Nick was that way BEFORE D.

A daughter of a family friend literally panics when she sees a needle or blood.

I do not HIDE Nick's D or make him feel ashamed in ANY way at any time, but he knows that not everyone is as "tough" as he is so we are discreet.
    Marci
    mom to ds(20), ds(16), ds(14), and dd(10)

Nicholas
    age 14
    dx 5/06
    MM522 6/08 - 6/12
    CGMS 11/08

MM723 Revel, Guardian, and MySentry 6/12

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I do not HIDE Nick's D or make him feel ashamed in ANY way at any time, but he knows that not everyone is as "tough" as he is so we are discreet.
    Same here, we don't hide, but we are discreet just in case the person can't handle it. My teen nephew can't handle it, I honestly saw him go green around the gills one time.

No need to prepare the other person, it is what it is. It's part of your life. Just be matter of fact about it.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

Not really. I don't think it's really possible to prep anyone fully. For the vast majority of people, it only serves for them to build up in their minds negative things.

Nobody ever sees needles because of the Multiclix and the pump. They'd have to look very hard to even see blood.

Quote Originally Posted by wendyc View Post
    Same here, we don't hide, but we are discreet just in case the person can't handle it. My teen nephew can't handle it, I honestly saw him go green around the gills one time.

No need to prepare the other person, it is what it is. It's part of your life. Just be matter of fact about it.
    I agree ^^^^
    Diane- mom of Alex 19, dx 4/25/05, pumping since 8/1/06 ( MM 723) & Victoria 15