advertisement

Thread: Inject-Ease questions

Default Inject-Ease questions

We got ours in the mail today. James is actually excited about getting his insulin later. I haven't talked to our dr about using it. It comes with two rings. Since he is 3 I am assuming I put the larger one on? Also, do you still pinch their skin a bit when injecting? Thanks for any help, he really wants to use it tonight. This will be huge if he doesn't struggle with his shot for a change.
    James - born Dec. 1, 2005. DX T1 February 2009. Pumping with Animas Ping - March 2010. Cameron - born Oct. 15, 2003. Non-D.

Hmm, it's been a while, so take what I say, and do a practice shot on your self.

Not sure what size you want, but the trick to it is to twist it on the skin. No pinch. Put it on the skin and twist it abit, then inject. Believe it or not, it actually makes a big difference in the way it feels. Try it out on your self a few times first so you know what you are doing and don't make it traumatic but messing up the first one on him.

Also, be aware that it make a loud click, so that might freak him out.

Good luck.
    Joy

Mom to Ava
    Born 06
    dx 07
    Animas PING 2008
    Contact Detach
    Dexcom 7+ (the other love of my life)

At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.
    -Jean Houston

I used to use a spacer ring for Rachel. I didn't pinch up and we found we had good results because of the consistent depth of the injection. Rachel hated the Inject Ease when she first saw it, but quickly grew to love it.
    Jane Mum of Rachel, 12, dx'd @11 months.

Keep Calm and Treat the Number

If using one of the spacer rings, check afterwards that no insulin is leaking out.
    Dad to Leah and Anna, married to Pam
    Leah is 15, dx 1/1/2007 at age 8, Type 1 and Celiac, Omnipod since 2007, Guardian CGM 2007-2013, Now using Dexcom G4 CGM, loves to sing

CGMS Calibration - DCCT: The Study That Forever Changed Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Improved Glycemic Control in T1 children Using Real-Time CGMS

We used the inject ease for about 7 months and then switched to the pump. In regard to the spacer rings---it depends how long the needle is that you are using to determine if you need the spacer. We had short needles and I did not use a spacer at all. I also was a pinch up person. We did not do any twisting. I pinched up and held the inject ease to the skin and I let my son press the button. When I heard the click I knew that I should press the plunger. It worked well for us. I would do several practice attempts (minus the insulin) to get the technique right and to build your confidence. I like Darryl's suggestion of feeling the skin afterward to be sure the insulin went in. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!
    Wendy
    Mom to Alex, age 11, dx'd 3/07, Pumping on MM since 10/07. Waiting for upgrade to 530G and Enlite sensors. Used MM CGMS for 3 years--- stopped because it was a pain in the neck. Hopeful for Enlites.

Mom to Ethan, age 12, Non-D, no antibodies but HIGH risk per PANDA study, Autism Spectrum Disorder

What is an Inject-Ease??
    Ellie
    mom to

~Riley~ 16 dx 3/18/09 ~pumping with minimed since 9/2/09~ & polyarticular JRA dx 5/02
    ~Skyler~ 19
    Happily married to Darius

An Inject Ease hides the syringe and helps kids to get over their fear of needles. To me, giving an injection without it, is like using a lancet without the lancing device

http://www.palcolabs.com/section_pro...njectease.html
    Jane Mum of Rachel, 12, dx'd @11 months.

Keep Calm and Treat the Number

I've been practicing on me, it's amazing, you don't feel a thing! We use short needles too, so I won't use the spacers. I have been letting James play with it a bit too and he wants to press the button. He doesn't want the needle inside though...so he knows it's there still. We'll see how it goes today.
    James - born Dec. 1, 2005. DX T1 February 2009. Pumping with Animas Ping - March 2010. Cameron - born Oct. 15, 2003. Non-D.

Quote Originally Posted by chkpea View Post
    We got ours in the mail today. James is actually excited about getting his insulin later. I haven't talked to our dr about using it. It comes with two rings. Since he is 3 I am assuming I put the larger one on? Also, do you still pinch their skin a bit when injecting? Thanks for any help, he really wants to use it tonight. This will be huge if he doesn't struggle with his shot for a change.
    I have been using the inject-ease for several months and i really like it... The larger the ring the less depth that the needles goes in...We don't use the rings.. Pinching the skin in my case causes less pain than if i don't pinch the skin..I think that it avoids hitting a blood vessel.. Also make sure that you take out the needle in a quick upward motion to prevent further pain and he needs to be very still when giving the injection...

Good luck with it...
    Debbie
    Mom to Brooke, age 6, dxd 9/9/08
    Novolog/NPH

Quote Originally Posted by kiwikid View Post
    An Inject Ease hides the syringe and helps kids to get over their fear of needles. To me, giving an injection without it, is like using a lancet without the lancing device

http://www.palcolabs.com/section_pro...njectease.html
    That is how I feel too.... I have much better control with giving the injection than without it.
    Debbie
    Mom to Brooke, age 6, dxd 9/9/08
    Novolog/NPH