advertisement

Thread: Omnipod IOB

Default Omnipod IOB

Anyone care to explain how the IOB on the Omnipod is different from either Cozmo or Minimed? The rep told me that IOB is only calculated on correction doses so it seems to be more like Minimed than Cozmo? I need to look into it further, but thought that I would throw this out since I saw the question about Animas IOB posted.
    Mary,
    Mom to Melissa, 29, using Dexcom, 24/7 since 4/10, and T:slim started March 2014. Michael, 34 using MDI's and Dexcom. Melissa is intellectually challenged and needs a lot of help from us to manage her diabetes.

The pod computes IOB only for correction boluses.

I didn't like this at first, but now realize that since I won't usually correct within 2 hours of a meal anyway, it's not really necessary to know IOB from a meal.

Put another way, if she ate a meal and bolused, then wanted to eat again an hour later, we'd just bolus for it separately, irrespective of the current BG or IOB, because even if we knew the IOB, we'd probably come to the same conclusion as to how much insulin is needed.

The pod does track IOB for corrections, so if you give a correction for a high after the mealtime insulin is done working, the pod will take that IOB into account for any subsequent corrections.

The IOB in the pod can not be set for less than 2 hours duration, unfortunately, so as we use Apidra (1 hour duration), we can't use the pod's IOB feature at all!
    Dad to Leah and Anna, married to Pam
    Leah is 16, dx 1/1/2007 at age 8. Omnipod since 2007, Guardian CGM 2007-2013, Dexcom G4 2007-present. Sang the National Anthem at the 2013 JDRF Walk!

CGMS Calibration - DCCT: The Study That Forever Changed Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Improved Glycemic Control in T1 children Using Real-Time CGMS

Minimed tracks both food and corrections boluses. Cozmo, MM and Animas all track IOB a bit differently, but all track both.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

If you want food calculated as IOB, simply enter it as a correction instead of food.

It will give you the amount that is calculated to be left. I will enter the carbs, it will tell me the exact amount for those carbs, then press back, and enter that amount as a correction instead of food.
    I have been doing this for 9 months... works very well for us.
    DS type1 D - 12,
    Dx' 07
    Dexcom & omnipod 08, & CGM in the cloud - 07/14!!!

"Laughter is the best medicine - unless you have diabetes, then insulin goes pretty high on the list."

As far as I know the Omnipod does not track IOB on food, only corrections.
    Which is totally different from Cozmo, Minimed, or Animas
    DS1, 17 yrs old, diag 3/2000 at 3 years old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001, Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Novolog ,Apidra(1/11),Back to Novolog 6/11, Insets 6mm, Navigator 8/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09, Dexcom G4 12/12
    DS2 , 14 yrs old, diag 9/2000 at 10 months old, pumping 2001,Minimed 508 2001,Cozmo 2004 & 2008, Animas Ping 5/09, Revel 12/10, Back to Animas Ping 12/10, Novolog ,Insets 6mm, Navigator 9/08-5/09, Dexcom 5/09,Navigator 11/09,Guardian 9/10 Enlites 11/13,Minimed 730g 1/14

Quote Originally Posted by betty6333 View Post
    If you want food calculated as IOB, simply enter it as a correction instead of food. It will give you the amount that is calculated to be left. I will enter the carbs, it will tell me the exact amount for those carbs, then press back, and enter that amount as a correction instead of food.
    I keep forgetting to explore this. Does it record this carbs this way? Or do you zero it out, confirms so it goes into the log, and then do another bolus?

Quote Originally Posted by saxmaniac View Post
    I keep forgetting to explore this. Does it record this carbs this way? Or do you zero it out, confirms so it goes into the log, and then do another bolus?
    It does not record the number of carbs, it will show zero carbs.

You put in the BG , say it was 130, then the pump will suggest the dose based off the BG . EVEN IF the suggested dose is 0.00 you can change that to add the amount you need for food.

When you look at the record you will see the BG entered and how much insulin you gave for that BG.

SO , if your BG is 80 and you gave 4 units as a "correction" you know it was a food bolus, but there is not a carb record, just the amount you gave and the BG you entered.
    DS type1 D - 12,
    Dx' 07
    Dexcom & omnipod 08, & CGM in the cloud - 07/14!!!

"Laughter is the best medicine - unless you have diabetes, then insulin goes pretty high on the list."