advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRICARE Formulary Changes for Test Strips

Unhappy TRICARE Formulary Changes for Test Strips

Maybe I missed this already posted but I just noticed on the Express Scripts website a notice for changes to the DoD formulary for BG test strips. There was a letter dated Feb 09 that supposedly went out to beneficiaries who used diabetes supplies posted online, but I know we never received it. Looks like only Accu-chek Aviva, Ascensia Contour Freestyle Lite, Precision Xtra strips will now be available for the $9 copay via mailorder. They do have instructions to get the meter to support these strips, but if you are using other brands will likely want to switch or be prepared to pay more out of pocket. My local MTF is only going to carry Precision and Aviva strips. Oh, but you can get more choices on lancets, including multiclix. Here is the link to the letter if you want to read it:
    http://www.express-scripts.com/custo...ic_02_2009.pdf

Mom to DS (12), dx'd Jul 2004, pumping MM since Oct 04, CGMS since Oct 06
    Also Mom to non-D son (14) and non-D daughter (6)

I got it long ago.
    Since we already use freestyle and had planned on switching to Freestyle Lite I'm not really worried.

if you need an alternate strip for some reason (like freestyle to work with a cozmo or omnipod) or Onetouch for MM you can fill out a form and they will approve a waiver which I can't find at the moment. (there is a tricare military yahoo diabetes group - they listed it a while back)

our military hospital carries the precision which is what we use. We got that letter. Guess every one is feeling the financial crunch (including military?)
    Carolyn, age 41, Mom to:
    Katerina 10 yrs old dx'ed T1 @ age 3,on 9/10/04, Lantus and Novolog MDI
    Austin age 12, non-D
    Kaitlyn age 15, non-D, dx'ed asthma age 2 yrs
    Amanda age 18, non-D, dx'ed VWD, Type 2A 6/09
    Daughter to Linda, age 61, dx'ed T1 @ age 10, 1959
    Katerina at "Camp A1c at Cha-La-Kee 2010"

We also got the letter. Currently we're using the One Touch Ultrasmart, we like it, it works for us and those are the only reasons we use it. I will happily walk into the pharmacy and plunk down a $22 co-pay for them. The only things our MTF doesn't stock are Multiclix, Apidra, and the OT Ultra test strips(obviously). I can't complain about a $22 copay when there are others out there with no insurance or inadequate insurance, JMO.
    Tammy
    Mommy to:
    Miss Caelin, 6 Dx 4/21/08 Pumping with Apidra in a Pink PING 5/17/10

Thanks for posting the link. We did not receive the letter. We have always gotten our Precision Xtra test strips from the base pharmacy at Wright-Patterson so there isn't an impact to us at this point.

I am concerned that we didn't get this letter though. We're in the North Region. Did anybody else in North not get the letter?

Another idea...we've never used the TMOP. Did the letter only go to those folks who have used the mail order pharmacy?
    Last edited by Illinifan; 04-15-2009 at 01:56 PM.
    Brian
    Dad to Tyler (21)
    Dad to Zachary (17) - dx'd at 10, MDI, Novolog and Lantus

We are North region and do not use mail order. I would say we got the letter sometime back in late January or early February. Our Endo's office knew of the changes though probably back in November (that's when we changed meters).
    Tammy
    Mommy to:
    Miss Caelin, 6 Dx 4/21/08 Pumping with Apidra in a Pink PING 5/17/10

we're in the north region and actually use the US Family health option so we never use the regular mail order and we also got the letter back in Jan/Feb.

We are in the North and did not get the letter either. We use Liberty Medical and Freestyle Flash test strips.
    Jessica
    Mom to Riley, 3
    dx'd march 2006, MM522 and CGM july 2007,
    dx'd celiac sept 07,
    also has Down Syndome, and
    Sydney, 5

Here's the form for request for non-formulary exceptions.

https://rxnet.army.mil/pec/files/lim...PS20090303.pdf

In section two you circle the applicable number 1-4. If it's for a dexcom on omnipod you circle #1 and have the dr write in the appropriate thing ("patient using dexcom and dex needs freestyle flash" for example)

I just called the Abbott order number and got a Precision Xtra meter sent to me at no cost. I just had to reference the letter.
    Brian
    Dad to Tyler (21)
    Dad to Zachary (17) - dx'd at 10, MDI, Novolog and Lantus