advertisement

Thread: switching to Lantus...lots of questions

Default switching to Lantus...lots of questions

My son had his endo appt today and we are making the switch to Lantus from NPH. The endo wants the injection given in the AM. We are starting at 20units. (sounds like alot to me...is it?) my son is a few days shy of his 12th birthday, 5'4", 128 lbs. He was on between 15-24 units of NPH. I am aware of the hot shower/injection thing. Anything else? I know you can't mix Lantus with any other insulin the way NPH and Humalog could be mixed. So, do you give the Lantus injection and then figure the amount of Humalog you need for you meal and inject that?

You might be thinking these are questions I should have asked the endo....I did ask some questions, but my son decided to PASS OUT after they took his blood and I got a wee bit sidetracked with my thoughts. Been a rough afternoon.

all input appreciated.

Trisha, Mom to Patrick (aka Patch) 13 y.o dx'd 6/23/08 Revel Minimed 10/10
    don't let diabetes stand in your way...push it aside and create a new path!

Quote Originally Posted by trisha View Post
    My son had his endo appt today and we are making the switch to Lantus from NPH. The endo wants the injection given in the AM. We are starting at 20units. (sounds like alot to me...is it?) my son is a few days shy of his 12th birthday, 5'4", 128 lbs. He was on between 15-24 units of NPH. I am aware of the hot shower/injection thing. Anything else? I know you can't mix Lantus with any other insulin the way NPH and Humalog could be mixed. So, do you give the Lantus injection and then figure the amount of Humalog you need for you meal and inject that?

You might be thinking these are questions I should have asked the endo....I did ask some questions, but my son decided to PASS OUT after they took his blood and I got a wee bit sidetracked with my thoughts. Been a rough afternoon.

all input appreciated.
    I can't speak to the amount of Lantus, but I can say that yes, the bolus of Humalog will be a separate shot based on his I:C ratio. We do our double shot - Lantus/Apidra - at lunch time. Two shots.
    ~Alyce - The Mama
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    "The Boz" dxd T1D 6/27/08
    Pumping Blue Ping: Apidra

dxd Celiac 3/10/10

My daughter is 9 and 70 pounds and is on 11 units of Lantus...just for a point of reference. Yes, you give the lantus as a long acting..not mixing it w/ anything then give Humalog/Novolog to cover your carbs that you consume.
    Mom to 4 kiddos:

Cory 19..going to be a soph at IU!
    Kristen 17 nonD
    Hannah 15 nonD
    Molly 13, D dx'd May 13, 2008 Graves disease
    MM 722 pump Novolog
    MIO infusion sets
    current a1c 7.6 (8.0,9.2,8.4,9.0 ,8.2.8.4,8.2,8.1,7.9 previous)
    in the middle of puberty he**!

We are starting at 20units. (sounds like alot to me...is it?) my son is a few days shy of his 12th birthday, 5'4", 128 lbs
    My dd, 12, 5'5", 133 lbs, just started pumping, but when she was on Lantus her dose was 30u. Her basal has always been on the high side compared to her fast acting and she has not been physically active for the last 6 months due to a knee sprain that still! has her in a knee brace and using a crutch. So that gives you a reference for a similar sized, similar aged kid.
    Most people say the best place to give the Lantus shot is in the tush- did the endo suggest that?
    And yes, you give the Lantus shot then figure out the Humalog separately and inject separately.
    Good luck!
    Lawana
    Homeschooling mom to

Rachel, 16, dx 4/11/06, pumping with Animas Ping since 3/5/09
    A.J., 14, non-d

Marsha, one of our members who is super knowledgeable, came up with a formula to predict Lantus dose based on a child's weight. This is only for non-honeymooning kids and it's just an estimate. Some kids will obviously use more and some less, but it's a rough guideline about where most kids are.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.c...68&postcount=9

Rella, mom to Brendan -- 14-yrs-old, dx'd March '08 at 8 years old
    Navigator CGM: 11/08 to 1/11
    Dexcom CGM since 2/11, G4 as of 10/12
    OmniPod since 7/09

Help Cure Childhood Diabetes
    Facebook

thanks for all the helpful hints. Come to find out, when we had the RX filled, they gave us the cartiages and not the OptiClix delivery device. So, we wait another day. I mentioned early, my son passed out after they drew his blood. Now, his numbers are way out of whack....300's. I gave him 2 units of Humalog earlier this evening with a light dinner. At 8:30PM reading, he was over 300. Not going down at all....going UP. I gave him another 4 units of H. Do you think the passing out earlier today could be affecting this readings?

Trisha, Mom to Patrick (aka Patch) 13 y.o dx'd 6/23/08 Revel Minimed 10/10
    don't let diabetes stand in your way...push it aside and create a new path!

Yes, stress can most definitely send bg's up higher!
    Mom to 4 kiddos:

Cory 19..going to be a soph at IU!
    Kristen 17 nonD
    Hannah 15 nonD
    Molly 13, D dx'd May 13, 2008 Graves disease
    MM 722 pump Novolog
    MIO infusion sets
    current a1c 7.6 (8.0,9.2,8.4,9.0 ,8.2.8.4,8.2,8.1,7.9 previous)
    in the middle of puberty he**!

Sorry to hear about your son passing out. Danielle had her blood drawn today and was crying a lot on the way there and it actually made her bg go down, and she had a low later on. So, as usual, diabetes works differently in each child. As for the Lantus, you have gotten good advice above. I think you will need to go through some trial and error as far as how much to give, if it actually lasts 24 hours, if and when it peaks, the time of day to give it, etc. You do not need to refrigerate a bottle of Lantus that is in use, it can be kept at room temp. It will sting more if it is cold. I also agree about giving it in the bootie, just make sure you rotate the injection location on the butt. Danielle gets her Lantus every night at dinner time, right now she is at 10.5 units. Many of us have had good experiences with Lantus, I hope you do too.
    Chris
    Dad to Danielle, 16 years old, dx 8/17/2007, MDI (Novolog and Levemir)

all input appreciated.
    Sounds like an ok amount if it's one injection per day. Morning may work out to be a good time to give it, but be prepared to move the time around if need be.

On Lantus, there is no free lunch (or snack).. You count the carbs, and inject Humalog to cover them.

Good luck!

Proud Dad of Amy (18), diagnosed Aug. 2006 and getting MDI of Apidra and Lantus..
    and Sylvie (13); very happy husband of Shirla!

Amanda is 34 lbs and on 5 units of Lantus but at bedtime.. Yes you give Lantus and count your carbs for the meal and give Humalog accordingly.
    Amanda, Type 1, Dx at 13 mos. old, now 5 yrs old.
    Also immune deficient..IgA Deficiency as of 7/2010...

Pumping with Mini Med 522.. Pink... (Humalog)
    Sure T infusion sets....

Erica 21, Brandon 19, Ryan 11..all Non D.