advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dexcom trial: What do I need to know??

Default Dexcom trial: What do I need to know??

I will be doing a Dexcom trial at the end of the week (possible next week) with my dd, I want to try it out before because my dd is not very good with site changes and I want to see how hard this might be for her and I.

i also want to see how hard this will be to have a pump and reciever on a small 4yr old, 40 inches and 36lbs(thats w/ her pump on).

SO any guidance will be appreciated. We will not have the software to download during the trial but will be able to get the reports and data when we are done. I plan on taking a running log of everything I can so that I can match up the information. i definatly will be coming here with any problems I encounter.

What can I expect when we hook her up? How long does it take the first sensor to start working, I don't remember is there a start up time?

TIA
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net
    + 4 auto-antibodies

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

Hi Jennifer,
    Alli is still on her trial. We are loving it so far. The only thing I don't like is how big the receiver is. Alli clipped it on her belt and it looked way out of proportion. She ended up putting it in her pocket and that works for her. You will see what I mean when you see it, your dd is smaller than Alli.

The warm -up is 2 hours.

The best info I got so far and I am sorry I can't remember who told me, but when your dd gets out of the bath or shower make sure you dry off the transmitter. We did not know this and ended up with a couple of hours with no data.

Good luck!!!! It is a brilliant little device. Sorry I can't be much help to you. I am learning too!
    Judy

Daughter Alli-13, Dx'd Type 1 June 12, 2006 at 8 years old. Dx'd Celiac August 13, 2008 at 10 years old
    Pumping (Animas 20/20) 03/24/2008
    Dexcom SeVen Plus on March 30, 2009

Shared joy is double joy. Shared sorrow is half sorrow.

How long are you going to keep it on for??
    + 4 auto-antibodies

NO electric blankets, no tylenol.

If we have a really long lasting sensor we use plain medical tape to hold the tape down otherwise we use nothing extra.

We use spibelts to hold the receiver.

The receiver(hand held unit ) is not waterproof so we keep ours in a ziplock baggie.

2 hour warm up period, you calibrate every 12 hours or if it asks for one but if you miss the 12 hours it will still continue to read. If the screen is shoing 3 ??? then DO NOT calibrate at that time. Give it time to adjust to the readings. Sometimes it fluctuates to quickly and takes some time but it is important not to calibrate when the 3??? are there.

Otherwise, enjoy. You can restart a sensor easily.

Allene
    Allene- mom to 2 great children
    Lillian- born 8/18/99, D 9/26/06, OmniPod
    6/07, Dexcom 12/07
    Arthur- born 12/07/2004 Non D
    Joshua -hubbie, great father and best friend

Quote by Hank the Cowdog, " It could be worse. Think of the wind, it always blows."

Quote Originally Posted by mmgirls View Post
    How long are you going to keep it on for??
    As long as it is still reading. We have an awesome rep and she said we were fine with it until ours comes in. Today is day 8 and still working great!!!
    Judy

Daughter Alli-13, Dx'd Type 1 June 12, 2006 at 8 years old. Dx'd Celiac August 13, 2008 at 10 years old

Have a great time and enjoy!
    Michael, type1 D, 10
    Dx' 07
    Dexcom cgms 08/08
    Omnipod 09/08

"Laughter is the best medicine - unless you have diabetes, then insulin goes pretty high on the list."

Quote Originally Posted by Judy&Alli View Post
    As long as it is still reading. We have an awesome rep and she said we were fine with it until ours comes in. Today is day 8 and still working great!!!

once you ordered it how long does it take to get, assuming no insurance issues?
    + 4 auto-antibodies

Quote Originally Posted by mmgirls View Post
    once you ordered it how long does it take to get, assuming no insurance issues?
    We ordered ours on thurs or fri. It is supposed to come tomorrow. I will let you know when it comes.
    Judy

This maybe a silly question, but, does she need to drink MORE??to be adequaly hidrated, I don't even know how much a 4yr ld should drink but we live in a dry climate and I want to make sure that we get off on the right foot.

Any suggestions about placement on a little one that may not hold still??

We have been doing arm sites lately and we do the butt too. Tummy pump sites have always botherd her so I don;t think I would try that at first.

Should I have her not have carbs during the two hour warm up period or just make sure to cal after bolus DIA, I know that the Dex is suppossed to be good on caling on a in flux bg, but just again wanting to get a running start.
    + 4 auto-antibodies

We didn't do anything different when Alli started. As a matter of fact she was high when it was inserted. We used numbing cream for Alli because she was so scared. I am not sure if she really needed it. Anyway she is not scared to get her next one in, so I guess I would recommend using it. Because they are so expensive they wouldn't let me put one in myself. So I don't personally know how much it hurts. With infusion sets I always tried them and told Alli how it felt. Maybe with your little one and not having much real estate for the sensor it might be useful. In the Dex manual they say it should be inserted in the abdomen. I am sure you can probably put it where you want, but thought I would mention that so you can explain it to your dd., if the rep is a persistant rule follower. I hope that helps. I am not to experienced, lol.
    Judy