advertisement

Thread: How do you test a toddlers urine with the glucose/ketone test strips??

Default How do you test a toddlers urine with the glucose/ketone test strips??

Just wondering how some of you have done this? I'd like to test his urine just for peace of mind. I have tried to put a test strip in his diaper before but he did not let me. Any tricks??

I just tested his BS for the first time and I got a 127, 148, 122. A little high I thought (that's why I did 3 times) and he wants to do it like his sister. That was after eating a peanut butter and jelly and blueberries.
    Heather-mom to:
    Anna(11) 2/16/02 dx T1 2/5/09 Pumping with the MM Paradigm Insulin Pump since 7/2009 and occassionaly CGMS, Levemir, trying the Omnipod!
    Matthew(9) 2/25/04(non-D)
    Weston(6) 3/14/07(non-D)

I used to put cotton balls in his diaper and squeeze it on the strip. That's what they taught us to do at diagnosis. Now Charlie likes to pee on the stick in hopes of peeing on my hand.
    ~Marci~
    Mom to Charlie, 8 years old, diagnosed January 2007
    and Alyssa and little Jax

Yep, we do the cotton balls around his "pee pee" in his diapers too. Kinda a pain, as they sometimes shift or if he poops you sometimes get that on the balls too. Since our insurance doesn't cover the blood ketone strips, we have to keep cotton balls in his diapers 24/7, since we never know when we'll get a high reading and need to check his urine.
    Cherie (dx: Rheumatoid Arthritis)

Mom to:
    Alexander- 4 yrs. Non-D
    Alden- 3 yrs; dx: 12/30/08 at 10 months old; pumping with Blue Animas Ping since diagnosis, DexCom Seven+ CGM 7/09.
    Alijah- 2 yrs. Non-D
    Happily married wife to Allen.:

"Surrounded by men... and most of them are in training pants!"
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Cotton balls is the way to go. When we were in the hospital they tried to just press the strip against and freshly wet diaper, but I don't think they had much sucess.

Sorry the blood strips are not covered. They are under our current insurance, but not sure if they will be under our new insurance that starts on May 1. I sure hope so, as I am not a very good judge of colors on sticks. Not for Ketones and not for pool chemicals either LOL
    Jacque
    Mom to:
    Logan, age 6, dx on 10/23/08
    Blue Animas Ping started 12/20/09 ~ Novolog ~ Contact Detach Sets
    Dexcom CGMS started 2/23/09 ~ Dexcom Seven + upgrade 5/22/09, Dexcom G4 started 9/2012
    Kristen, age 22 - Non-D

I have good luck with "cotton rounds", the cosmetics kind.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9.5 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing - leopard Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net^6 YRS
    Started with Dexcom and now Pinging - gummybears

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

I don't know how much peace of mind you'll get, as everyone can produce ketones.

I would use the Precision Xtra Ketone meter with a toddler.

Since they can get dehydrated easily, and urine is hard to obtain at times, the blood ketone meter is more accurate and convenient.

Plus, it's only a matter of time until you will absolutely need a ketone reading-when sick and dehydrated.

This is for your non-diabetic right? I would fuss with urine strips.

I also wouldn't test him unless he is showing specific signs of concern such as peeing, drinking a lot, lethargy.

If you really think you need to test, just use the blood glucose monitor you use for the others. If you don't want the reading to factor in, just set it to control solution
    ~Nancy
    Mother to:
    Samantha - 17
    Michael - 14
    Emma - 9 (2/16/05 dx 3/07, dx Celiac 1/10) - Pumping with a Pink Animas Ping! as of 9/07, with t:slim as of 8/14!

CGMSing as of 3/26/09 with Navigator, 9/14/12 with Dex 7, 12/5/12 with dex G4