advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids giving their own shots?

Default Kids giving their own shots?

My daughter just swittched insulin and now has to take a shot before lunch at school. No big deal EXCEPT oour school nurse is being as difficult as she can be about the whole situation including refusing to train the 2 nurses aides to give injections or how to give glucagon in emergencys. She is NOT a full time nurse at this school. I have stated to her numerous times that she needs a backup person but she says she doesnt have to have one and that she WONT teach anyone or force someone to learn. She is at the school normally half of the day and then not even at school on Thursdays. She also said she is sometimes out of district --Whatever that means!!

Anyway the nurse is putting pressure in my daughter to start giving her own shots. Even making the comment that all the other Diabetic kids she has ever had were much more independent. Needless to say that pissed me off
    Its funny how she thinks its OK to force a 9 yr old to give herself an injection but she wont force the 2 nurses aides to learn how to do it

But putting that aside it makes me wonder how long after DX did it take other kids to learn and not be afraid to give their own shots.

So my ?? is ....How long did it take your child before they were COMFORTABLE giving their own injections?

My daughter was 8 at dx..at that time she refused to even THINK about doing her own and I didn't push her. Fast forward just two weeks post dx. She stated "gimme an orange and show me how it's done". It took her maybe a few days to be comfy doing them on her own. HOWEVER..we ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have an adult check the dose she draws up.
    Mom to 4 kiddos:

Cory 19..going to be a soph at IU!
    Kristen 17 nonD
    Hannah 15 nonD
    Molly 13, D dx'd May 13, 2008 Graves disease
    MM 722 pump Novolog
    MIO infusion sets
    current a1c 7.6 (8.0,9.2,8.4,9.0 ,8.2.8.4,8.2,8.1,7.9 previous)
    in the middle of puberty he**!

Ohhhh......I would put a stop to her trying to intimidate and shame your child into giving her own injections IMMEDIATELY.

Are you in the USA? If not, perhaps much of this won't apply but....If this is a public school or a private school that receives federal money you should ask for a 504 plan. There is a ton of info here on 504's but I highly suggesting looking at the Amer. Diabetes website under Discrimination>Schools and also calling 1-800-DIABETES for their free school discrim packet.

If the school says only a nurse can give the shot and there is no nurse then the school is REQUIRED to provide a nurse. The MUST do this. Write a letter today to the principal and cc the nurse and the nurse supervisor and request that someone be put on campus immediately to give shots. Also request that the nurse no longer try to force your child into giving shots before she is ready. I would also call the pedi endo and have them fax over a letter to the school asking these 2 things: that someone be provided on campus at all times to give insulin and provide care, including emergency care and that the nurse not attempt to shame the child into giving her own shots.

The school is required to step up on this. I would not go another day without getting something in the works. Also send a letter to the principle requesting that they hold a meeting to evaluate your child for a 504. You would like an emergency meeting due to the circumstances. I would call OCR if needed.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

I think it's really important that our kids move at their own pace that's comfortable for them. This nurse is way, way out of line.

It really does sound that in this situation, you need to get a 504 in place. The staff should be trained to give glucagon and there no reason that they can't be trained to give shots too. And even if your daughter *chose* to give her own shots, a trained adult would still need to supervise.

Rella, mom to Brendan -- 13-yrs-old, dx'd March '08 at 8 years old
    Navigator CGM: 11/08 to 1/11
    Dexcom CGM since 2/11, G4 as of 10/12
    OmniPod since 7/09

Help Cure Childhood Diabetes
    Facebook

Willow started giving herself **some** shots about about 3 months post dx. She was 7 at the time. However, we ALWAYS had someone monitor the amt she pulled up into the syringe. One thing that made giving herself the shot was the inject ease - a device that holds the syringe and quickly injects the syringe (spring loaded) but she still has to push the plunger.

Now that we are on the pump - we have only been for less than a month - she is already learning how to bolus and understands the difference between bolusing for carbs or correction for bg.

I agree with all the PPs - your nurse is way out of line trying to bully you and your daughter into doing this on her own. Have you spoken to the school board, the principal?? This should be at yours and your dds pace. Even with all that Willow can do on her own - I still almost always do everything - only when she initiates do i let/help her do it on her own.
    [CENTER]
    [SIZE="2"]Vicki - mom to
    Willow 12 -T1 as of 7/22/08 Pumping since 2/23/09 - First the Ping and soon to be TSliming it!
    Ava 9
    Haleigh 7
    Wife to T1 dx 12/94 (married 16 years), SIL to T1 (dx age 12)

I don't think it's a good idea to compare D kids when it comes to giving their own injections, just like it's not helpful to compare their hight, weight or reading level. Every child deserves to be treated as an individual and with respect by the adults in her/his life. The nurse is WAY out of line for her comment and needs to be called on it. Your daughter has the right to be kept safe and accommodated while in school ( assuming it's public school) and the nurse needs to learn that and learn it fast.
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Quote Originally Posted by selketine View Post
    Ohhhh......I would put a stop to her trying to intimidate and shame your child into giving her own injections IMMEDIATELY.

Are you in the USA? If not, perhaps much of this won't apply but....If this is a public school or a private school that receives federal money you should ask for a 504 plan. There is a ton of info here on 504's but I highly suggesting looking at the Amer. Diabetes website under Discrimination>Schools and also calling 1-800-DIABETES for their free school discrim packet.

If the school says only a nurse can give the shot and there is no nurse then the school is REQUIRED to provide a nurse. The MUST do this. Write a letter today to the principal and cc the nurse and the nurse supervisor and request that someone be put on campus immediately to give shots. Also request that the nurse no longer try to force your child into giving shots before she is ready. I would also call the pedi endo and have them fax over a letter to the school asking these 2 things: that someone be provided on campus at all times to give insulin and provide care, including emergency care and that the nurse not attempt to shame the child into giving her own shots.

The school is required to step up on this. I would not go another day without getting something in the works. Also send a letter to the principle requesting that they hold a meeting to evaluate your child for a 504. You would like an emergency meeting due to the circumstances. I would call OCR if needed.
    I totally agree with Carol.

As for giving shots, Christian was 10 when dx and he gave himself his shot on the 2nd day. They even gave him a certificate. LOL!! He did it ever since. I would just draw it up, until he switched to the pen, and he would take it and give it to himself.

Good luck with the school nurse.
    Cheryl
    Mom to 2 wonderful boys
    Anthony 17 non-d
    Christian 14 d dx February 07
    Pumping with Green Animas Ping.
    JDRF Walk Video

[quote]Are you in the USA? If not, perhaps much of this won't apply but....If this is a public school or a private school that receives federal money you should ask for a 504 plan. There is a ton of info here on 504's but I highly suggesting looking at the Amer. Diabetes website under Discrimination>Schools and also calling 1-800-DIABETES for their free school discrim packet.
    [quote]

Yes I'm in Illinois. And this is a public school. Are all public schools federally funded?

I printed off a 504 plan yesterday so that is started and the school/nurse already has a Diabetes Medical Management plan signed by my daughters endo. And I already called the ADA and I have that packet being mailed to me

[quote]Have you spoken to the school board, the principal?? [quote]

I have spoken with the Asst. Principal (Principal was gone and returns today I will be calling him shortly) and so has my daughters endo.
    The Vice principal actually was very agreeeable and as of last Friday (3-13) she said she was going to make sure the aides where taught how to inject.
    But then the nurse changed all of that Yesterday AM stating that she is the only one licensed to give injections and she will be the only one doing them.
    My daughters endo got involved again for me yesterday and ended up going off on the nurse yesterday on the phone because the nurse would not listen to her. But I guess at the end of the conversation the nurse agreed to teach the aids about diabetes and how to do BG checks (Which my daughter needs no help with) but still isnt agreeing to them being taught how to give injections.

Quote Originally Posted by HaileesMom View Post
    My daughter just swittched insulin and now has to take a shot before lunch at school. No big deal EXCEPT oour school nurse is being as difficult as she can be about the whole situation including refusing to train the 2 nurses aides to give injections or how to give glucagon in emergencys. She is NOT a full time nurse at this school. I have stated to her numerous times that she needs a backup person but she says she doesnt have to have one and that she WONT teach anyone or force someone to learn. She is at the school normally half of the day and then not even at school on Thursdays. She also said she is sometimes out of district --Whatever that means!!

Anyway the nurse is putting pressure in my daughter to start giving her own shots. Even making the comment that all the other Diabetic kids she has ever had were much more independent. Needless to say that pissed me off
    Its funny how she thinks its OK to force a 9 yr old to give herself an injection but she wont force the 2 nurses aides to learn how to do it

But putting that aside it makes me wonder how long after DX did it take other kids to learn and not be afraid to give their own shots.

So my ?? is ....How long did it take your child before they were COMFORTABLE giving their own injections?
    My son went on the pump at 12 and he never gave his own shot. He refused and I did not push. We were on NPH/Humalog so school was never involved in shots anyway.

The nurse needs to get off her high horse. Call and make an appointment with the principal or go even further and call the superintendent. She doesn't make the rules, the law does.
    Diane- mom of Alex 19, dx 4/25/05, pumping since 8/1/06 ( MM 723) & Victoria 15

That nurse is ridiculous. Every kid has their own learning curve, even with diabetes care. Alex was 7 when she was diagnosed, and I have to admit we pushed her to give herself her injection at school, because she could and did do it at home. Having said that, her lunch time bolus is fixed at 2 units of Humalog, because she eats the same thing all the time -- rice and chicken -- in exactly the same proportions. Her syringe is preloaded (by me the day before), and she does her shot under the supervision of the librarian or the special ed teacher.

That nurse needs a good swift kick in the pants. She'd've pissed me off, too.
    Barbara, Mom to...

Alexandra, age 12, dx'ed 6/25/08
    Untethered Animas Ping
    Sean, non-D, age 18
    Michael, non-D, age 14

--------------------------------------
    Come and visit my blogs:

Too Sweet Girl in Ghana
    Obroni Observations

Find me -- Barbara Bulin Zigah -- on Facebook! (Just mention CWD.)