advertisement
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats the best artificial sweetner ?

pretty sure that anything ending in -ol is an alcohol, and can cause massive gastrointestinal upset, especially in children.

We stay away from all artificial sweeteners. Personally, I consider them to be poison, and avoid them like the plague. That's just me...

Stevia is a natural product with a "0" glycemic index in small doses, but at higher doses, the glycemic index does go up, so like anything, you have to do your research.

We like to use raw sugar, honey and agave nectar, and just count the carbs accordingly. As a rule, we don't do a lot of "sweet tooth" food... and when we do, it's in small amounts, or it's a special occasion. Ironically, my little sweetling was never given a lot of sugar, even before her diagnosis, so we didn't really feel a great need to reign in the sugar content.

Quote Originally Posted by magickalmeadows View Post
    pretty sure that anything ending in -ol is an alcohol, and can cause massive gastrointestinal upset, especially in children.

We stay away from all artificial sweeteners. Personally, I consider them to be poison, and avoid them like the plague. That's just me...

Stevia is a natural product with a "0" glycemic index in small doses, but at higher doses, the glycemic index does go up, so like anything, you have to do your research.

We like to use raw sugar, honey and agave nectar, and just count the carbs accordingly. As a rule, we don't do a lot of "sweet tooth" food... and when we do, it's in small amounts, or it's a special occasion. Ironically, my little sweetling was never given a lot of sugar, even before her diagnosis, so we didn't really feel a great need to reign in the sugar content.
    Gibberish and chock full of red flags - too many to counter .... cyanide is a natural product.
    Stay at home Dad to son, 13.
    Diagnosed: 02/2006
    OmniPod: 09/2007, Novolog
    Dexcom Seven Plus: 02/2010 Dexcom G4: 01/2013

Throughout history

Every mystery
    EVER solved has turned out to be ...
    Not Magic. - Tim Minchin

Hydrogen, given sufficient time, turns into people. - The Meaning of Life

3. Default

Not sure if you're meaning that sugar alcohols are artificial, but sugar alcohols, i.e. xylitol, are also natural products and not in the same category as aspartame, splenda, or acesulfame K...

Eaten in large amounts, they can cause stomach upset, gastrointestinal discomfort, but not necessarily massive irritation, and it varies from individual to individual.
    Kirsten

Mom to 3 incredible kids:
    dd Dx 2/28/11

MM Revel 723 3/27/2012

Quote Originally Posted by swellman View Post
    Gibberish and chock full of red flags - too many to counter .... cyanide is a natural product.
    Lol thank you! Natural does not mean automatically safe or healthy. I have no problem with stevia or any other artificial sweetener in moderation, but I don't like when people pull the "it's natural therefore safe" card.
    Jill - adult type 1.
    Minimed pump, Dexcom.

Maybe you are unaware, but this thread was started in 2009. You've dredged up several very old threads recently, not sure what the point in that is. If you want to discuss this topic, please start a new thread with your own thoughts.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like old threads drug back up again. Generally the person who started it has moved on to new ideas and questions, I see no reason to take a 3 year old topic and bring it back up for discussion. I've noticed you've done it more than once recently and it just raises red flags. I am not the forum police and don't care to be, but seemed worth mentioning.

If you have valid points regarding nutrition to share, introduce yourself and start a new thread for discussion rather than tacking it onto old info.

~Nancy~
    Homeschooling our way through high school, learning with them!
    19 year old son diagnosed T1 2/5/10, pumping Tslim beginning 7/13 ; Dexcom on occasion. Animas Ping 10/10-7/13. College student August 2013.
    16 year old daughter teaching her mom all about patience and grace