advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When in doubt always test

Default When in doubt always test

We had a scary event I wanted to tell you guys the other day. She's two, so she still is trying to get picked up, but she's getting too big to carry down the stairs. I went downstairs and she sat at the top of the stairs while I was at the bottom looking up and she kept saying. "I'm stuck." Just like that, calm, sitting at the top of the stairs saying "I'm stuck." She wouldn't come down, and I was having the mommy discussion about why I wouldn't come get her.

Long story short, I assumed she was just being a stubborn two year old, and left her at the stairs, but then she started to wimper abit, so I went up, gave her a beep and she was at 52!

I ran with her in my arms to get the juice, then the milk, then a sandwich and she finally came back up. (we had more lows later that night)

I'm posting, because I REALLY believed she was just being two (no mommy gut sense at all on this one). I wish I had that spidey sixth sense. I used to have it, but I'm so fried that it's gone now.
    Joy

Mom to Ava
    Born 06
    dx 07
    Animas PING 2008
    Contact Detach
    Dexcom 7+ (the other love of my life)

At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.
    -Jean Houston

I REALLY, REALLY admire parents who deal with diabetes in very young children. I can only imagine how difficult it must be.

Good job Mom! You did have gut sense because you tested.
    Diane- mom of Alex 19, dx 4/25/05, pumping since 8/1/06 ( MM 723) & Victoria 15

Amanda is 2 also and she gets a look in her eye that I always can tell when shes low..Im glad you caught this low..I have started to tell Amanda when she is low "I need juice, I feel low" so she can start to relate the feeling..(She will be 3 next month) ...
    Amanda was supposed to be an Ava! But my last name is Carr and DH said everyone will call her Avis Carr rental..(hes so weird!)
    Amanda, Type 1, Dx at 13 mos. old, now 5 yrs old.
    Also immune deficient..IgA Deficiency as of 7/2010...

Pumping with Mini Med 522.. Pink... (Humalog)
    Sure T infusion sets....

Erica 21, Brandon 19, Ryan 11..all Non D.

[QUOTE=wdhinn89;388075]I REALLY, REALLY admire parents who deal with diabetes in very young children. I can only imagine how difficult it must be.

And I admire the parents of older children too...I love the wisdom they have, the experience, etc..
    Amanda, Type 1, Dx at 13 mos. old, now 5 yrs old.
    Also immune deficient..IgA Deficiency as of 7/2010...

Pumping with Mini Med 522.. Pink... (Humalog)
    Sure T infusion sets....

Erica 21, Brandon 19, Ryan 11..all Non D.

Although it happens much less now, I don't know how many times I tested my dd because she was just acting "funny", o she would have a while where her speach just was not clear. More often then not she was just fine but there has been a few times that I caught a low in the 40/50's that I was surprised by.
    McKenna DX 1/3/06 @ 13 months^9 YRS
    Pumping @ 18 months & Dexcoming @ 4.5 yrs
    PINGing Tethered with Lantus
    Madison DX 3/17/14 @ 5yrs thru Trial Net
    + 4 auto-antibodies

impaired glucose at 2hr mark
    8/12 BG 166^4/13 BG 205^6/13 BG 143^3/14 BG 216
    faith trust and pixie dust

Unhappy

3 years later my son is still hypo-unaware and apparently so are mom and dad No two lows are ever the same and the behaviours that are most alarming often tend to be during rapid drops or rises in BG (usually takes time to discover the direction). So we test and test and test some more.
    Shannon
    Mom to Owen dx Feb. 27, 2006 @ 21 months
    Currently using Veo w/Enlite sensors
    Have used Paradigm 522, Guardian, Cozmo
    Started Apidra July '09
    Mom to Avery

I totally know what you mean. In the beginning, for us, it was hard to differentiate between regular tantrums and low BG "behaviour". We've gotten better at it, catching on the little signs that in our son, mean one or the other. Like he will quiet down much sooner on a normal tantrum whereas if he's heading low or there already, he will continue. He also becomes aggressive, which is totally out of character for him. Stuff like that. Very scary when you can't tell between the two

But you caught it, tested and treated! Kudos!!
    Mom to 2 boys (6 & 8), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

Test, test, test, ... that is a great thing!
    Michael, type1 D, 10
    Dx' 07
    Dexcom cgms 08/08
    Omnipod 09/08

"Laughter is the best medicine - unless you have diabetes, then insulin goes pretty high on the list."

I wonder if kids dx'd when babies or toddlers are more often unaware of their lows throughout life than kids dx'd when older? I just wonder if they grow up so used to the up and down they are not used to the normal.

William was dx'd at 26 months and is still often not aware of his lows. When he was still two I remember him one day just methodically playing - getting up to get his Mr. Potatohead stuff and he seemed so robotic. I tested him and he was 26! That is the lowest I've ever seen him.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

so scary! I now can tell that look, but I'm the only one who can

Alison, mama to Tony (6 years old), diagnosed 5/10/07 at 20 months old on MDI, lantus and novolog. He also has hypotonia and developmental delays
    Gemma Lynn 9/04/08-tested for trialnet 8/10 results negative