advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sneaking Food-Any Experience with this & what to do?

Default Sneaking Food-Any Experience with this & what to do?

Anna seems to be sneaking food if I am busy or outside. It seems to be happening in the late afternoon before dinner (2-5). Her BS numbers are usually always in the high 200s then. Does this mean her insulin needs changed? I have tried to explain to her what it means to have high numbers all the times. She fills up fast and gets hungry often. Last night she wouldn't eat her dinner and we had a terrible fight about it. It seems as though it's a loss of control issue. Thanks for any tips for those of you who have been here before.
    Heather-mom to:
    Anna(11) 2/16/02 dx T1 2/5/09 Pumping with the MM Paradigm Insulin Pump since 7/2009 and occassionaly CGMS, Levemir, trying the Omnipod!
    Matthew(9) 2/25/04(non-D)
    Weston(6) 3/14/07(non-D)

What about keeping a stash of low carb or carb-free snacks for her? String cheese, cucumber, celery with peanut butter, couple of handfuls of popcorn...

If she's high at that time, it could be that she needs an increase in her NPH. What does the rest of her day look like?

ETA: Being high like that could be making her hungry.
    Last edited by danismom79; 02-24-2009 at 03:15 PM.

I know that my daughter is starving from 3-5:00 - it's just her hungry time so I just try to work with that. Pushing healthy snacks and lighter dinner
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

If her blood sugar is high, she may be feeling hungry, A natural reaction to hunger is to eat. It's important to teach her she can eat, and needs insulin accordingly so she can feel healthy and energetic. Frame things in the positive as often as possible. I personally try to avoid words such as "sneaking" ...try to praise her when she tells you she ate something so you know how much insulin to give, and encourage her to tell you when she's hungry so you can figure out the food and insulin together.

Quote Originally Posted by danismom79 View Post
    What about keeping a stash of low carb or carb-free snacks for her? String cheese, cucumber, celery with peanut butter, couple of handfuls of popcorn...

If she's high at that time, it could be that she needs an increase in her NPH. What does the rest of her day look like?
    Unfortunately, I have plenty of low carb snacks and she is just sneaking carb snacks.

She's usually good before lunch (in range) and just slightly high in the AMs. Actually, she's high quite a lot but that's common in the first couple of weeks right? I'll have to start keeping some records in excel so I can have them

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Maddie's Mom View Post
    I know that my daughter is starving from 3-5:00 - it's just her hungry time so I just try to work with that. Pushing healthy snacks and lighter dinner

Good idea!
    Heather-mom to:
    Anna(11) 2/16/02 dx T1 2/5/09 Pumping with the MM Paradigm Insulin Pump since 7/2009 and occassionaly CGMS, Levemir, trying the Omnipod!
    Weston(6) 3/14/07(non-D)

Steven was sneaking candy awhile back. I told him I understand that he gets cravings and now have a bag of peanut M&Ms stashed so when he gets a craving he comes to me and i give him 4-5 m&ms to satisfy it. Also before supper i have string cheese, American cheese, ham cubes, slim jims all no carb or low carb to snack on

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    If her blood sugar is high, she may be feeling hungry, A natural reaction to hunger is to eat. It's important to teach her she can eat, and needs insulin accordingly so she can feel healthy and energetic. Frame things in the positive as often as possible. I personally try to avoid words such as "sneaking" ...try to praise her when she tells you she ate something so you know how much insulin to give, and encourage her to tell you when she's hungry so you can figure out the food and insulin together.

That's the problem. I only know my scheduled amount of insulin/her scheduled amount of food and that's it so I need to learn to look at it that way for when I can change it on my own.
    Heather-mom to:
    Weston(6) 3/14/07(non-D)

Do you know it is food causing her to spike?

My dd is 6. Sometimes she understands but she doesn't understand (if you get what I mean), and we have been dealing with this for a few years. It may be a control issue with your dd. So much has changed in her life in just a few weeks. It is not easy for her or you.

Make sure she knows where the free stuff is. Maybe check into MDI or an insulin pump. The pump really gave us the ability to eat whatever whenever.

Is she getting enough carbs at meals? Sometimes the dieticians set the carbs too low. If she is too hungry then talk to your endo about upping her meal or snack carbs. It doesn't matter what they think should work. It is what you find does and doesn't work for your dd.

Give her a hug and a "Hi" from Nat!
    God is good all the time, and all the time God is good!
    Carol

Homeschooling mom to
    A dx. Hashi's 9/08, Celiac 10/08 and
    N dx. T1D 10/05, Celiac 6/08, pumped with Animas from 1/06-7/13, currently MDI (unexpected side effect of Diabetes Camp )

My kids are ravenous that time of day. Especially my non-d daughter as she does not get an afternoon snack. If she is running high, she will be hungry. It's a vicious cycle. What type of insulin regimine is she on? She may need a basal adjustment for the time leading up to 2-5 pm. This time of day I offer a veggie tray and cheese and crackers and go a bit lighter at dinner.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Stevens mom View Post
    Steven was sneaking candy awhile back. I told him I understand that he gets cravings and now have a bag of peanut M&Ms stashed so when he gets a craving he comes to me and i give him 4-5 m&ms to satisfy it. Also before supper i have string cheese, American cheese, ham cubes, slim jims all no carb or low carb to snack on
    This is helpful to know. She loves Luna Bars and that is what she is coming to get extra of and they are 11g each.

Quote Originally Posted by jcanolson View Post
    Do you know it is food causing her to spike?

My dd is 6. Sometimes she understands but she doesn't understand (if you get what I mean), and we have been dealing with this for a few years. It may be a control issue with your dd. So much has changed in her life in just a few weeks. It is not easy for her or you.

Make sure she knows where the free stuff is. Maybe check into MDI or an insulin pump. The pump really gave us the ability to eat whatever whenever.

Is she getting enough carbs at meals? Sometimes the dieticians set the carbs too low. If she is too hungry then talk to your endo about upping her meal or snack carbs. It doesn't matter what they think should work. It is what you find does and doesn't work for your dd.

Give her a hug and a "Hi" from Nat!
    It is helpful to know that the high is what is causing her to be extra hungry in the late afternoon. I will try to have a snack tray available to her.

Quote Originally Posted by wendyc View Post
    My kids are ravenous that time of day. Especially my non-d daughter as she does not get an afternoon snack. If she is running high, she will be hungry. It's a vicious cycle. What type of insulin regimine is she on? She may need a basal adjustment for the time leading up to 2-5 pm. This time of day I offer a veggie tray and cheese and crackers and go a bit lighter at dinner.

We will have to ask about basal adjustment (don't know what that is yet)

Thanks everyone.
    Heather-mom to:
    Weston(6) 3/14/07(non-D)