advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CGMS start tomorrow, give me a crash course of what I need to know

Default CGMS start tomorrow, give me a crash course of what I need to know

I know we can use arms as sites, we are definitely going to push for us to do this as well as back end as right now she only uses the back end for her pump. I don't want to "chew" up her poor back end otherwise

I also know about being able to leave a sensor in for 7 days. On the 7th day the transmitter shuts down and has to be recharged even though the battery life is good for 14 days. So we are looking at going 7 days tops and changing sensor same day each week. Every 3rd day we have to trick the system though and tell it is a new sensor. Does anyone have step by step directions on how we do this or is it the same as when you first start a sensor?

I know about the radio shack microphone and web site where to buy it if we need it. We will try it without for now at first and see if it is necessary. We do have a baby monitor in her room.

I did make up a pump/CGMS guide cheat sheet and gave that to the school nurse. I also made up user guides for her, Bio Mom and us in nice folders to keep.

We have to calibrate at least 3-4 times a day, never calibrate when there are trend arrows.

Don't have the pump away from the transmitter for longer than 40 minutes or it will alarm that it lost transmission. Then just put BG in and calibrate to get it going again if it does happen.

Anything I said wrong or I need to know for tomorrow? I am getting nervous! Thanks!
    Stepmom to 14 year old girl and bio Mom to 12 year old boy.
    Stepdaughter diagnosed 02/11/2008
    Pumping with MM 723 Revel with Quicksets since 10/17/2008
    Started the MM CGMS on 02/12/2009
    Married 22 years - husband type 2 diabetic

Sandy

"God doesn't give to us what we can handle,
    God helps us handle what we are given"

we don't have a mm but I just wanted to wish you luck ! it sounds like you have done your homework!
    Michael, type1 D, 10
    Dx' 07
    Dexcom cgms 08/08
    Omnipod 09/08

"Laughter is the best medicine - unless you have diabetes, then insulin goes pretty high on the list."

We start ours Friday so I just wanted to say good luck and I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread!

Julie (mom to Jessica 13 and Erin 10 dx 2-9-07 pumping M522)

40 minutes seems like a lot. We had our sensor away from the pump during bath on the first night and it has lost sensor within 10 minutes. I'd keep it on the counter during the bath, we started that and haven't had an issue. Put in the bedroom and we have an issue.

I think it's really trial and error and see what works for you. What worked for us is turning off high alarms while we are getting used to it and leaving low alarm at 65. The opposite or a modification of it may work for you. Just put the baby monitor on loud and you can't miss it. Although I am sleep deprived from constantly thinking I hear it and don't, I'm sure that will go away eventually.

Good luck! We just started ours last week, it's invaluable.
    Logan 6 years old Dx 7/25/08.
    pumping novolog 10/21/08 with ping pump and G4

Sharing experiences can be so helpful when starting out with a new product.

Just a gentle reminder to consider contacting the manufacturer if you have product questions. And to note the manufacturer's suggested usage and expiration dates.

Be safe!

We started about a month ago with both children. You have a great list, you are well prepared. I think what I would suggest though is be clear what your objectives are for the first month or so - we went into it excited we could now catch lows, catch highs, see trends, fix basals, deal with post-meal spikes etc etc. That's really too much for the first couple of months while you are getting used to the sensor! The high & low alarms can be a pain if they are set too tight - they go off in class, everyone looks, and we had a lot of huffing from the kids about "the stupid sensor". So have a think what you want to tackle - is it highs, is it lows, do you just want to see trends and then take action? Then adjust (or switch off) the alarms to fit what you want. Looking back my objectives would have been (1) get used to operating the sensor (2) learn how to calibrate well (so sensor and bg are within 20 points most of the time) (3) monitor meal spikes and take action (i.e. what a difference pre-bolusing makes! You'll see.)

As for "Lost Sensor" - I agree, that was our biggest disappointment. The transmitter loses all its stored information if it cannot re-connect to the pump within 40 minutes. And within that 40 mins you have to remember that the transmitter only sends data every five minutes. So really the child and pump need to be in range at least once every 30 to 35 mins and be prepared to sit for up to 5 minutes while the devices reconnect. This is just not feasible during swim team practice, so now we just disconnect and accept we will lose one hour of data. Shame, as we really could do with some data during these high-exercise periods. Hope all goes well with the start!
    Debbie

Mum to: Katrina (aged 11, T1D dxd aged 2); and 9 year old twins Oliver (T1D dxd aged 6) & Philip (non-D)
    Both pumping with Minimed 722s and CGMS

Quote Originally Posted by zell828 View Post
    I know we can use arms as sites, we are definitely going to push for us to do this as well as back end as right now she only uses the back end for her pump. I don't want to "chew" up her poor back end otherwise

I also know about being able to leave a sensor in for 7 days. On the 7th day the transmitter shuts down and has to be recharged even though the battery life is good for 14 days. So we are looking at going 7 days tops and changing sensor same day each week. Every 3rd day we have to trick the system though and tell it is a new sensor. Does anyone have step by step directions on how we do this or is it the same as when you first start a sensor?

I know about the radio shack microphone and web site where to buy it if we need it. We will try it without for now at first and see if it is necessary. We do have a baby monitor in her room.

I did make up a pump/CGMS guide cheat sheet and gave that to the school nurse. I also made up user guides for her, Bio Mom and us in nice folders to keep.

We have to calibrate at least 3-4 times a day, never calibrate when there are trend arrows.

Don't have the pump away from the transmitter for longer than 40 minutes or it will alarm that it lost transmission. Then just put BG in and calibrate to get it going again if it does happen.

Anything I said wrong or I need to know for tomorrow? I am getting nervous! Thanks!

aside from the first day when you have to do 3 cals, we only calibrate 2 times a day, the more you calibrate the more likely you'll get a bad cal.. if you can do it twice a day at good steady time, its way better than trying to get three or four cals in. It WILL remind you when to calibrate, ours gives us an hour warning, but you can change that.

we change every 7th day as well. Yes, after 45 minutes you'll loose data if the sensor and pump are away from each other to long..usually we have this type of issue during the summer when swimming. We just make sure she comes back into range every 15-20 minutes so othe pump can find the signal.. all that 'missed' data will pop up on the screen

good luck!
    K, 9.5yrs, dx 1/06 @35months
    Pumping MM 723 w/ Mio sets and Apidra
    Celiac dx 5/08
    Cgms-ing 11/07
    Podding for 'tubing' breaks 4/11

Quote Originally Posted by Logansmom View Post
    40 minutes seems like a lot. We had our sensor away from the pump during bath on the first night and it has lost sensor within 10 minutes. I'd keep it on the counter during the bath, we started that and haven't had an issue. Put in the bedroom and we have an issue.
    You will receive lost sensor alarms if it isn't getting a reading every 5 minutes. BUT if the sensor doesn't get a reading with-in 40 minutes you will lose all the data for that 40 minutes.
    Lanae
    Proud Mom of
    Tyler (19)
    Abby (10) dxd 1/07 Type 1
    Pumping w/MM522 05/02/07
    Novolog/Sure T sites
    CGMS- 8/11/08
    Hashimotos Disease 6/08

"Endless"

So you really don't need to calibrate at least 3-4 times a day? Two is good enough (like in morning and before bed)? I was told the more the better. It would actually be nice if we didn't have to do it so often.
    Stepmom to 14 year old girl and bio Mom to 12 year old boy.
    Stepdaughter diagnosed 02/11/2008
    Pumping with MM 723 Revel with Quicksets since 10/17/2008
    Started the MM CGMS on 02/12/2009
    Married 22 years - husband type 2 diabetic

Sandy

"God doesn't give to us what we can handle,
    God helps us handle what we are given"

Quote Originally Posted by zell828 View Post
    Every 3rd day we have to trick the system though and tell it is a new sensor. Does anyone have step by step directions on how we do this or is it the same as when you first start a sensor?

How to restart the sensor (same as starting sensor except it asks for a blood sugar within a couple minutes verses a couple hours)
    Go to sensor on the pump and hit act (it's on the main list)
    Go to sensor start and hit act
    Go to start new sensor and hit act

You have to calibrate when it asks for it in the beginning, with in 6 hours, and then every 12 hours (so you have to at least 3 times in the beginning and at least 2 times a day after that). Calibrate whenever the time is right. Don't concentrate on how many times as I would when is a good time to do it. We don't calibrate before eating depending on what the food is and the amount of time before the food goes in the mouth. We do however calibrate before a correction.

Good luck on your sensor start!
    Lanae
    Proud Mom of
    Tyler (19)
    Abby (10) dxd 1/07 Type 1
    Pumping w/MM522 05/02/07
    Novolog/Sure T sites
    CGMS- 8/11/08
    Hashimotos Disease 6/08

"Endless"