advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I donate unused/unopened insulin?

Default Where can I donate unused/unopened insulin?

My dad recently had a shipment of meds come to our house with about 10 vials of Humilin. He is in Florida now (back after holidays) and said that his endo is changing his whole program...going to Lantus and Humalog, so in my fridge are about 10 boxes of unopened, unused Humilin that he won't be needed any longer!

I would love to donate them to some old age home or some facility where poor Diabetics can have access to them. Who should I call? I was thinking JDRF?

Thanks!
    Maria ~ Mom of a 15 year old boy
    with Type 1; Dx'ed 9-06-05.
    Pumping since 11/9/06!!! Animas 2020!!! Inset 30's.
    Using Bayer Contour USB Meter!

My pretty pictures.

do you have any retirement homes in your area? I'd call them directly to see if they need it.. JDRF is a good idea.. they could point you in the right direction.. or your endo's office.. they may know someone that could use it

Kim
    K, 11yrs, dx 1/06 @35months
    Pumping Since 7/06 w/ MM
    PUMPING w/T:Slim 5/14
    Apidra
    Celiac dx 5/08
    Cgms-ing 11/07
    Dexcom G4 2/14
    Podding for 'tubing' breaks 4/11

I'd call the Endo's office. They may have patients who do not have insurance and must purchase insulin out-of-pocket. I'll bet they'd love some freebies!
    ~Andie~

Wife to Bryan (BadgerMan) for 14 years

Mom to Elizabeth (7.5), non-D

And Emily (11.5) diagnosed 5/06;
    Pumping Cozmore 1800; Cleo 90 and Cozmonitor
    and using Navigator CGMS

Emily with the Jonas Brothers 7.15.08! <3

I wondered this same thing recently because when we move to a pump we will have quite a bit of Levemir that will be unused. I emailed Insulin for Life. It is an organisation in Australia that supplies diabetes supplies around the world to those who would not get them otherwise. I asked if they have a group here in America. The response I got was that they accept insulin and test strips with at least 5 months to use-by date. They can just be sent by ordinary mail to:
    Insulin for Life Australia Inc
    c/o Dr A Jenkins and Becky Mosley
    Visiting Professor
    Dept. Medicine
    Section Of Endocrinology
    Univ. Of Oklahoma
    941 Stanton L Young Blvd
    BSEB 302
    Oklahoma 73104-5043

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by mischloss View Post
    My dad recently had a shipment of meds come to our house with about 10 vials of Humilin. He is in Florida now (back after holidays) and said that his endo is changing his whole program...going to Lantus and Humalog, so in my fridge are about 10 boxes of unopened, unused Humilin that he won't be needed any longer!

I would love to donate them to some old age home or some facility where poor Diabetics can have access to them. Who should I call? I was thinking JDRF?

Thanks!
    I pm'd you....

Quote Originally Posted by lynn View Post
    They can just be sent by ordinary mail to:
    Insulin for Life Australia Inc

Lynn
    Huh...so much for the keeping it cool part?!

Beth
    Mom of 3 boys; oldest dx 5/04 at age 8 (now 14)
    pumping with MM722 since 4/07

Quote Originally Posted by lynn View Post
    I wondered this same thing recently because when we move to a pump we will have quite a bit of Levemir that will be unused.
    I wouldn't give all the Levemir away. Even on a pump, you may need to go back to shots for a couple of days. We did this when Philip's pump screen went out a couple of months ago. It was 2 1/2 days before we received the new pump. I was glad to have Lantus on hand. I almost used it last night after Philip had a particularly painful site insertion and declared he was going back on shots. We ended up giving him multiple shots of Humalog until he got up in a better frame of mind.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

If you google "insulin for life", I'm sure you'll find other countries have the same sort of organisation and details of how to post it etc.
    Jane Mum of Rachel, 13, dx'd @11 months and Anna, 18, dx'd @ 17 .

Keep Calm and Treat the Number

There is the fridge and we got them around beginning of November so I think the 5 month to expiration date is okay. I would also have concerns about keeping it cool all the way to Australia. I would feel better just driving it to a local JDRF or ADA location.

I also have Lantus and Humalog pens from going on the pump with my son...come to think of it. I don't know about the expiration dates on those...I will have to check. Also, so older BG monitors...I bet someone would want those too.
    Maria ~ Mom of a 15 year old boy
    with Type 1; Dx'ed 9-06-05.
    Pumping since 11/9/06!!! Animas 2020!!! Inset 30's.
    Using Bayer Contour USB Meter!

My pretty pictures.

we are required by K's endo team to keep Lantus on hand, just in case the pump goes.. which is has.. she had to go back on injections and Lantus for 2 days...

I'm sure you'll be able to find someone out there that needs it
    K, 11yrs, dx 1/06 @35months
    Pumping Since 7/06 w/ MM
    PUMPING w/T:Slim 5/14
    Apidra
    Celiac dx 5/08
    Cgms-ing 11/07
    Dexcom G4 2/14
    Podding for 'tubing' breaks 4/11