advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody with a toddler looking at going on the pump?

Default Anybody with a toddler looking at going on the pump?

Looking at putting my daughter on a pump. We have three to choose from...Animas, Medtronic and Cozmo. She just turned 1 and was diagnosed in November. Anybody have any reviews?

Our 7 month old was dx in November and he is on the ping. so far we have been really happy with it. It is nice to be able to remotely give him boluses with the remote when he is sleeping. Luckily he usually sleeps through the finger pricks. We haven't had any trouble with the tubing or sites coming out like I have seen others posting. So far really really happy!

Our 9 month old has been on a pump since he was about 2 weeks old. Difficult for us to compare as he's never been on injections but we're very happy with the pump.
    We have the site in his thighs, alternating each leg. We might start putting it at the top of the buttocks in a while but at the moment he is on his back most of the time.
    As he's a baby he grabs anything he can get his hands on and pump tubing is great for pulling! It's summer where we are just now and we've had him pull the site out of his leg a couple of times because the hot weather makes him sweat and the site loses some stickiness. It was very hot though.

I have a 2 year old on the Ping, didn't compare other pumps, the Ping was strongly suggested to us by the Endo. I am happy with it, easy to use. Still have some issues with the remote from time to time. Numbers are better controlled overall. Only using his bum as site and it's starting to look irritated.
    As for pulling on tubing, touching the pump, never been an issue (yet).
    Kelly
    Mom to Jack born 5/06, dx 7/08

Maxine was put on the Medtronic pump back in december and we are very happy. Things are far mor relaxed and her BGs are not that weard any more.
    We are far more flexible and insulin doses can be adjusted far more accurate then before.
    Maxine likes that she only needs to change the set every third day and that there are no more ongoing injections through the whole day.

mum of Maxine (*02/05/06), T1, diagnoesd 22/04/08

My daughter will be 3 in March...We are discussing it now with our endo office..We are going to pump class Jan 14th....Our endo for some reason likes his pedi patients to be a little older..so we shall see...I got a lot of negative feedback from endo nurse yesterday about pumps, but the endo didnt agree nor disagree..he just signed me up for the class with DH... I know the parents here who have their toddlers on pumps are happy with it..and honestly Im going to take their advice and oppinions over one nurse!
    Amanda, Type 1, Dx at 13 mos. old, now 5 yrs old.
    Also immune deficient..IgA Deficiency as of 7/2010...

Pumping with Mini Med 522.. Pink... (Humalog)
    Sure T infusion sets....

Erica 21, Brandon 19, Ryan 11..all Non D.

It's been 3 years since we shopped for a pump for our then toddler. We chose omnipod, but I wouldn't recommend it for kids under age 2. Our second choice was animas for the small basal increments.

GL!

Kirsten
    Kirsten

Griffin (6) dx 5/21/05 @ 18 months
    Pumping since 6/06 with Omnipod

^Griffin at 2.5 with Pod at beach.

Cooper (12) non D
    Wife to Peter dx type 2 while I was preg with
    Griffin!
    Trainer of Tessie diabetes alert dog extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    It's been 3 years since we shopped for a pump for our then toddler. We chose omnipod, but I wouldn't recommend it for kids under age 2. Our second choice was animas for the small basal increments.

GL!

Kirsten

My endo said the same thing to me about Omni pod..I would of thought for Amanda this would be ideal because she could not pull it out, etc. but endo said no..I got a sample one in the mail and really liked it small size etc..Im bummed (for now) Going to pump class on Jan 14th here!
    Amanda, Type 1, Dx at 13 mos. old, now 5 yrs old.
    Also immune deficient..IgA Deficiency as of 7/2010...

Pumping with Mini Med 522.. Pink... (Humalog)
    Sure T infusion sets....

Erica 21, Brandon 19, Ryan 11..all Non D.

We started our daughter, Jessi, and an animas pump when she was 15 months. She is now 7 yrs old, and stil uses an animas pump.

It is a personal choice, but I will say it was one that I was so glad we made. I dont know how I would have gotten through the toddlers years without the pump.

We are very happy with the Animas Ping for our toddler. Its nice to be able to bolus him while he's running around or in the back seat of the car eating a snack.