advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newly D'xd - "survival kit" ideas

Default Newly D'xd - "survival kit" ideas

A friend's son was just recently diagnosed. I plan on visiting w/ in the next couple of days and want to bring the family a diabetes survival kit of sorts. Any suggestions on what to put in the goody bag?

What did you wish you had, but didn't get at the hospital?

Thanks for your input!
    Mom to
    Madison dx'd Oct 2007 - age 17 - Omnipodding since 3/21/08
    Occasionally use CGM - Dexcom w/ pink cover 12/08
    Ethan non-d age 13
    Wife to Maddiesdad

Juicy juice boxes, Glucose tabs, cold packs, easy to carry snacks. alcohol swabs...That's all I can think of at the moment

Seth 17, dx'd at 7 (shots for most of 9+ years, has been on the Omnipod/Apidra for 1 year)

Always always always....Trust your gut!:

A calculator.
    Brandy
    Mom to Haley age 11 dx'd January 07 pumping with Minimed 722 and loving it
    Andrew age 8 non-d

Precision xtra meter and Ketone strips-If you can afford them, if not information where to find them is also great.
    CWD site
    Pink Panther book for starters
    Small pocket size carb counting book
    gram/oz scale if you can aford it, other measuring items, cups, spoons
    *~*~Michelle~*~*

Calorie King
    list of free food ideas besides sugar-free jello
    bag of hope from JDRF
    Stephanie

Mom to Matt, 19, dx'd 3/23/08, pumping with MM722 12/16/08, CMGS 11/23/10
    Connor, 14, non-D
    Married to Bill for 22 years!
    MomMom to Jacob

I loved the Bag of Hope from the JDRF...call your local chapter and have one sent to the mom or have it sent to you and give it to her...it was so comforting to me when newly diagnosed and full of information!! And a cute teddy bear (Rufus the diabetes bear) for Amanda! You are a great friend.. Also the Pink Panther book about Diabetes was most helpful too..(I think that came in my bag of hope from the JDRF)
    Amanda, Type 1, Dx at 13 mos. old, now 5 yrs old.
    Also immune deficient..IgA Deficiency as of 7/2010...

Pumping with Mini Med 522.. Pink... (Humalog)
    Sure T infusion sets....

Erica 21, Brandon 19, Ryan 11..all Non D.

the Calorie King book..you can never have too many copies! We got small supplies of the following at the hospital but wished we had more... glucose tabs, alcohol swabs ... a calculator is a great idea, small notebook and pen for writing down meals, carb counts, etc. A list of carb free, low carb snacks is wonderful! I think also the offer of babysitting (if appropriate) is very welcomed and was offered to me by a fellow D parent. I didn't take them up on it but something that I was glad to have JUST IN CASE I needed a break from being a "walking pancreas" for Molly in those first few tough weeks.
    Mom to 4 kiddos:

Cory 19..going to be a soph at IU!
    Kristen 17 nonD
    Hannah 15 nonD
    Molly 13, D dx'd May 13, 2008 Graves disease
    MM 722 pump Novolog
    MIO infusion sets
    current a1c 7.6 (8.0,9.2,8.4,9.0 ,8.2.8.4,8.2,8.1,7.9 previous)
    in the middle of puberty he**!

Really great suggestions above An calorie king book and calculator for the car has been a life saver for me because we are always on the go, and I don't think to grab those on my way out.

Something that I really needed but didn't get from the hospital was a HUG and a shoulder to cry on from someone who really understood what it was like to have a child diagnosed with diabetes.

Jen, Mom to
    Tyler 14 dxd at 6 (7/8/05)
    Pumping with Green Ping 11/09
    Lantus for basal
    CGM - Dexcom G4
    Minimed 722/CGMS 12/08 - 6/09
    Currently playing Hockey
    & Lilly non -d 7 my soccer playing, dancing drama queen

Always keep in mind, everyone is different, and most of the time solutions come after much trial and error

IT IS WHAT IT IS....

A calculator with a magnet on the back (for the fridge!)

A list of online resources -- places to purchase cool alert bands & supply bags, lists of sites for support and information, their local chapter of the JDRF, etc.

If you know anything about the school the child is attending, share that info (nurses, accomodations, diabetes management in the school, etc.)

A binder to keep all printouts, blood sugar logs, doctors notes and other info in one easily-grabable place. I also have a manilla envelope in mind to gather all the receipts to use for our taxes and to submit for our flexible spending account at work.

This is so nice of you!
    Eileen
    Eileen
    mom of:
    ...Calder - 17 - dx'd 10/1/08 pumping with a blue Ping as of 4/2/09; Celiac dx'd 7/23/09

Default Survival Kit

For the child: a comic book, a story book, a pack of sugarless gum, and/or a loveable stuffed animal is nice. My son got a soft stuffed animal that had a pocket in it (it was actually a hand puppet stuffed animal) that he later used to put his pump in while he slept. Obviously, getting diagnosed and being in the hospital is a terribly scary experience so anything that makes the child feel better - or even temporarily distracted is good.

Diabetesmother
    www.Diabetesmother.blogspot.com