advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bone growth aging

Default Bone growth aging

Anyone had the xray of the wrist to determine bone age growth in your "D" child? (Besides you Beth ) Maddison is 8yrs 4months and hers just came back at age 5yrs 9months So, of course it appears the Diabetes dx 2 years ago stunted her growth. Just wondering. I was very small as a child too, I am just hoping Maddison catches up in size because people still think she is 5 and it hurts her feelings!
    -Kelly-
    Type 1 @ age 28
    Hannah (almost 13!!) non "D"
    Maddison (9) dx'd 12-4-2006
    Josh (husband that works too much)

http://type1mom-chasingnumbers.blogspot.com/

Lil has not had the testing but people are always asking her if she is 4-6 years old.
    It also upsets her as well. I try and use it as a time to explain that everyone is different and sometimes peoples mouths and what they say are damaged. And they do not have mcuh in the way of help for them.
    Lil's best friend is a year younger and quite a bit taller, etc.
    Her 4 year old brother weighs 10 lbs less and is only a head shorter than her.
    Are they thinknig of doing meds for Maddison? Heather in Californina had the testing done on one of her sons. You could check with her about it.
    Good luck,
    Allene
    Allene- mom to 2 great children
    Lillian- born 8/18/99, D 9/26/06, OmniPod
    6/07, Dexcom 12/07
    Arthur- born 12/07/2004 Non D
    Joshua -hubbie, great father and best friend

Quote by Hank the Cowdog, " It could be worse. Think of the wind, it always blows."

Morgan had the bone growth test several years ago. His was off by about a year. His actual age was around 6 yrs., but the bone growth said 7 yrs. If it is going to be off, it is better to have the bone growth younger than actual age rather than older.
    Holly -- wife of Mike, 17 yrs
    mom of Morgan (13 yrs.), dx'd 03-17-08 type 1 D, enjoying the honeymoon
    dx'd w/hypothyroid 2006
    primary diagnosis: trisomy 18, differently abled
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/morganmccormick

"Each life and each death is a profound event, or no life--not a single life ever--was of any consequence. Everything matters or nothing has mattered." Burton Blatt

"Don't deny the diagnosis...deny the verdict." Norman Cousin

True younger is actually "better" than older which could indicate a pituitary issue. Dr said the Diabetes probably just stunted her growth or she is simply a "late bloomer" as was I, but I was also a preemie.....they didnt mark her celiac labs that were due in November, so I reqested those last week and I should have the script in the mail....Dr said to mark off IGF-1 just in case on the lab slip....also a new thyroid screening. HOPEFULLY just the "D" has caused the growth delay.

Maddison and I talk alot about her being "tiny" and I share my tiny stories when I was a kid. We use it as a chance to talk about differences too
    -Kelly-
    Type 1 @ age 28
    Hannah (almost 13!!) non "D"
    Maddison (9) dx'd 12-4-2006
    Josh (husband that works too much)

http://type1mom-chasingnumbers.blogspot.com/

Dorothy had never had the test done. However she has always been big for her age. I just measured her and she is 5' 3-1/2"! She is only 11 and has grown over 4 inches since the beginning of the year.

She is prepubescent. I think that has a lot to do with it.

Dorothy (born 8/14/97) 13yrs, dx 12/02/06 @ 9yrs Type 1. MDI Lantus and carb counting 1:7 under 250, 1:5 breakfast and over 250 / BG correction factors of 1 unit per 30 points over 120 with Novolog

Kurt (born 6/20/06) 4yrs non D

Bryant (born 4/15/07 ) 3yrs non D

Wife to Brian since 7/24/04

Jess is also small She has never had the test done, mainly because she has always been small, and has been on the same growth curve the whole time.

It may be something I look into next year.

Hi
    We have the opposite problem my childs bones are 3-4 years older than her and we just stopped doing Lupron injections for pre-puberty that she started having when she was 4 she is now 10 and we did the muscle injections of Lupron for over a year to slow things down.

Paulla Proud Mom Of
    Kellse (14) DXD 8/06 Type 1
    Zachary (24) Non-D
    Pumping with ANIMAS since January 25th, 2008
    Using Dexcom since March 17th 2011

Adrianna had it done when dxd and it was younger than what she was then she had one tuesday because the dr said that will tell us about when she will start puberty that usually girls that have a bone age of 11 will start their period so they want to see about when that will be
    MY FOUR GIRLS :
    ADRIANNA 11 DX T1,HYPOTHYROIDISM 6/28/07 BORN9/10/1997 MDI LANTUS AND NOVOLOG A1C 6.3
    AUTUMN 8 NON D BORN 9/10/2000
    ARIEL 4: NON D BORN 5/14/2005
    ANDRALYN 13 MONTHS NON D BORN 2/15/2008

Jayden had this done earlier this year. She was chronologically nine years and eight months old, but her bone age was seven years, ten months. The endo said that the margin of error is two years. She was looking for a combination of growth hormone levels and the bone age, and thyroid levels. For Jayden, her gh was high, and her thyroid was normal, and the bone age was within two years, so we're just watching and waiting.
    Jennifer D in NC
    Wife to John, my high school sweetheart, and mom of:
    Joshua , 18
    Joseph, 16
    and Jayden, 14, dx 12/28/07 T1D, Pod People as of 05/14/2011,Novolog

Quote Originally Posted by kel4han View Post
    Anyone had the xray of the wrist to determine bone age growth in your "D" child? (Besides you Beth ) Maddison is 8yrs 4months and hers just came back at age 5yrs 9months So, of course it appears the Diabetes dx 2 years ago stunted her growth. Just wondering. I was very small as a child too, I am just hoping Maddison catches up in size because people still think she is 5 and it hurts her feelings!
    I could be wrong, but I think it's two different dx'd. (Unrelated to D) Seth has always been the bigger of my two boys. Jake was just dx'd with growth hormone deficiency. His bone age was 11 when he had just turned 15 Tomorrow is our first Endo appt. after starting the GH, I can't wait!

Seth 17, dx'd at 7 (shots for most of 9+ years, has been on the Omnipod/Apidra for 1 year)

Always always always....Trust your gut!: