advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips on how to string popcorn and other ideas please?

Arrow Any tips on how to string popcorn and other ideas please?

I put up the Christmas tree yesterday but ran out of time putting the lights on. Good thing too. Because Adin keeps breaking the glass bulb ornaments. They shatter into a million little pieces across the great room floor. I didn't think about tile floors and glass ornaments when we picked floor covering obviously. So instead of doing our memory tree we usually do (ornaments from past vacations, first christmas's etc) we are going to make ornaments and garland, etc.

It is all working out because I planned on doing a old fashioned, home made Christmas anyway. All the kids are making their presents to give and dh and I are making presents to give to them. We have old family recipes for some neat meals and I have some fun activities planned that we never seem to have time to do like gingerbread houses, etc.

So if you have any great home made gifts ideas that I can make my kiddos I would be most appreciative. As well as ideas to decorate my poor naked tree.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Adinsmom; 12-02-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo
    Shelley
    Proud Mom to Adin 8 years old - dx'd @ 16 months - MDI now/Omnipod experience- Using the Dexcom

You could make paper chains to put around the tree. When my kids were too little for the glass ornaments, I tied ribbon to their little plastic dinosaurs or other small toys. We decorated the tree with their favorite things. We've made some cute gingerbread man decorations by cutting out thick cardboard into gingerbread men shapes. The kids brush on white glue and shake cinnamon on top. They used Tacky glue to attach rick rack pieces, pom poms, sequins, google eyes, and other decorations. We hang the gingerbread men with a length of rick rack. Have fun!
    Amy
    Mom of Connor - 10, T-1, dx 11/6/06, MDI, Novolog & Lantus
    Mom of Grant - 7 (not diabetic)
    Brian (husband) is 38, T-1, dx age 15, MDI, Humalog & Lantus

‎"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break." -Chinese proverb

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You, too? Thought I was the only one.'" - C.S. Lewis

I love the idea of an old fashioned Christmas! We live in a log home so we decorate in this style every year. Here is a site that has info on how to make cinnamon clay that I have used before to make gingerbread men: http://crafts.kaboose.com/cinnaclay.html . It is really easy and they turn out so cute. Something the kids can help with. BTW...They smell wonderful, too! Buy a couple rolls of red and white ginham ribbon and tie them on the branches of your tree. I also string bed berries for garland. Have your kids make small paper snowflakes and decorate the tree with them. Tan raffia can also be tied on the branches as well. Gather pinecones outside and hang in tree. We also put birds nests in our tree for a natural old fashioned look. If you have an old quilt you can use this under your tree instead of a skirt.

I always get tons of compliments on our old fashioned tree and home at Christmas! PM me if you would like some other ideas.

Melissa~
    Wife & Best Friend to Hubby Kelly
    Mom to:
    Emma 9 yrs old Dx'd T1 April 14th, 2008
    Pumping with PINK Animas PING w/ Pink Inset 90s
    Dustin 20 Non-D US Air Force ROTC @ VSU

we're going to do popcorn and cranberries for the tree that's going on our porch. I hear you need stale popcorn and heavy thread and then you just string. nothing to it - but I hear it takes a LOT of time.

if you don't do the cinnamon clay you can also just do the salt dough that you dry/bake in the oven - roll it out, cut shapes with cookie cutters, dry or bake and then paint. My daughter used to love doing that.

Do you have a recipe for the salt dough? I'd like to do that this year with the kids.
    Amy

‎"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break." -Chinese proverb

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You, too? Thought I was the only one.'" - C.S. Lewis

Use stale popcorn, it won't break apart like the fresh crispy stuff will. Use a heavy thread (button thread) and the longest (dullest for kids) needle that you can find. Someone might chime in with a better idea regarding the needle.

Quote Originally Posted by MyAngelEmma View Post
    Here is a site that has info on how to make cinnamon clay that I have used before to make gingerbread men: http://crafts.kaboose.com/cinnaclay.html . It is really easy and they turn out so cute. Something the kids can help with. BTW...They smell wonderful, too!
    We've done these, they really are sweet and sweet smelling And they last forever.
    Last edited by Sarah Maddie's Mom; 12-02-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: ooops
    Sarah
    Mom to DD now 16, dx @4
    Cozmo pumper @6
    Minimed pumper @13
    G4 @ 15

"Happy Birthday, Dr. Banting! Now... let's eat cake! Because, we CAN!" - MCS

Thanks! That will be fun.
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by momandwifeoftype1s View Post
    Do you have a recipe for the salt dough? I'd like to do that this year with the kids.
    I don't have a favorite - I just google and use whatever recipe comes up.
    This one looks easy:

http://kids.creativity-portal.com/d/...lt.dough.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by D A Morisse View Post
    Use stale popcorn, it won't break apart like the fresh crispy stuff will. Use a heavy thread (button thread) and the longest (dullest for kids) needle that you can find. Someone might chime in with a better idea regarding the needle.
    If the popcorn is difficult to string you can also use small marshmallows (the white ones, not the pastels) w/ cranberries.

I agree...the cinnamon ornaments are great!

Denise
    Mom to Ryan 11, diagnosed 3/07
    Omnipod 4/08
    Nicholas, 14, non-d
    Rachel, 16, non-d