advertisement
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: untrained school staff...

Unhappy untrained school staff...

My son is being sent to an alternative school on Monday. Due to some behavior issues ie: bad attitude and being disrespectful to teacher (when his BG was 364). He has not been there before. They want me to just show up 5 minutes early on Monday to dicuss him with them. How can you possibly cover everything in 5 minutes? I am not even sure if this campus has a nurse. No one at this campus will know him. I am very scared and don't feel he would be safe there. We do not have a 504 or health plan in place yet. I have it typed and am requesting the meeting on Monday, so how ever long the school has to get that set up...is there anything i can do? Have thought that maybe i should request to just stay with him for the first day? Probably won't fly very well with the school though...Any suggestions on what to do while waiting for the 504 to be in place?

I don't know how to help but I'm sure there'll be some experienced people along to help you before Monday. I would be just as nervous as you are about leaving my child at a new school. Is it a permanent placement? I would be staying until I knew that someone understood Diabetes.
    Jane Mum of Rachel, 12, dx'd @11 months and Anna, 17, dx'd @ 17 .

Keep Calm and Treat the Number

Hi , looks like you got it in. I saw the post that Mom to Kellse (Paulla ) made and I am thinking this is regarding you ?

Here is the link to that thread, there have been some answers and suggestions on it , that will hopefully help you.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.c...ad.php?t=28322

Charlotte type 1 diabetic since 1990
    mother to Scotty 26 non D and Brianna 11 non D

Type 1 dx Oct 1990, pumping since Sept 2007 with a MM 722 and Novolog
    Named my pump PIF, for purple insulin feeder

Still searching for the right balance
    My bad D days all end in Y.
    Yes, I am the one that's always says I only change my lancet 2 times a year,when the time changes,even if I don't need too,LOL

It sounds like the education is going to take longer than 5 minutes. This doesn't mean you shouldn't try. There are materials on the CWD site that you can print and give to the staff -- modifying for your situation.

You might as well state that it will take a little longer up front. I would include saying that he has been running high blood sugars lately and this causes frequent urination and thirst.

Go over his daily care plan with him. What did you tell his current school? Most don't know about Type 1 diabetes.

How old is your child? Does he take shots during the day? Does he test during the day? Does he count carbohydrates?

No child should be prohibited from going to the bathroom when needed even without diabetes.

I also sense there is more to this situation than you can or ought to explain on this forum.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

First off I'd pull him out of both schools. IT is not fair that he is being placed in an alternative school where most if not all of the kids will be hardened criminals. It is out of line. I would not allow it at all IMHO. I would call the ADA hot line and tell them what they are doing. They are deny human rights and that is extremely wrong.
    Is home schooling an option?
    BTW I believe you are open to the option of sueing these people.

Anyone able to give her the ADA hot line?

I agree with Jess....what is up with them switching schools on you ?

Was there a meeting about this ? where you informed in a reasonable amount of time that they wanted to move him ? Were there no other schools to move him to ?

Something is NOT right about this situation. Public school can not move a child to an alternate school for one instance of disrespect. Was there a physical component to it ? Is there an ongoing issue with your child ?

Something is missing in this story.....and if there isn't.....may I suggest it is your LAWYER who is missing and needs to be with you Monday when you visit NOT the alternative school, but your old school ???
    Allisa, mom to

Ty (14) dx 03-03-03 also has Mitral Valve Regurgitation due to complications from Rheumatic Fever
    Connor (18)
    Erin (11 dx with Down Syndrome & Autism)

I posted to you on the other thread about how to get in touch with the ADA and request that their legal advocate call you with advice. Please go over there and read mine and other posts to you.

The immediate problem is tomorrow. I think you are right to stay at the school until you are assured that there are people there who can care for him (including giving glucagon if he passes out, etc).

Without knowing more about why he was transferred and what the new school might offer it is hard to say if it is a bad thing for him to be going there in general. It sounds like he was not taken care of from a diabetes standpoint at his old school so I don't see what you're losing at this one - with the diabetes care. If his behavior issues are directly related to his poor diabetes care at school then he should not be at this school. Certainly either school he goes to needs to step up.

Go back to the previous thread someone posted for you and read what I wrote there about getting the ADA info.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

diabetes standpoint at his old school so I don't see what you're losing at this one -
    In 90% of alternitive schools all the kids you are pregnant, not quite done enough to end up in Juvie, It's not a good place for a kid to be who did nothing valid IMHO to deserve it. The potential he could fall into the wrong crowd or get into situations that are not any better than the other school.... thats what you lose....Sure the other school sucked but IMHO the other school should have to be brought to it's knees.
    Was there a meeting about this ? where you informed in a reasonable amount of time that they wanted to move him ? Were there no other schools to move him to ?

Something is NOT right about this situation. Public school can not move a child to an alternate school for one instance of disrespect. Was there a physical component to it ? Is there an ongoing issue with your child ?
    I agree intirely...In less he did something horrid like beating the teacher up while his BGL where high....If I knew the situation maybe I'd have a better stand point but they cannot move him based on diabetes or diabetes caused behavoir it's discrimination....

Quote Originally Posted by Mody_Jess_Pony View Post
    In 90% of alternitive schools all the kids you are pregnant, not quite done enough to end up in Juvie, It's not a good place for a kid to be who did nothing valid IMHO to deserve it..
    You misunderstood what I said - I said that FROM A DIABETES STANDPOINT - the old school wasn't taking care of him and we don't know if the new school would do better with the diabetes care or not. I am *not* commenting on whether it is better for him to go to this school from an academic/education standpoint. In other words, it is not like the old school was wonderful and the new school is terrible with the diabetes care - the nursing staff- etc. I did say that if the poor diabetes care is what resulted in him being sent to this school (for problem kids it sounds like) then that is wrong and he should not be switched.
    Carol G.
    mom to William, age 11, dx'd 3/04 and started pumping 10/04 - Animas 1200. Animas Ping started 01/09; cgms Navigator start 4/6/09; RIP Navigator 9-1-11, Dexcom 7+start 10/11, G4 start 11/12.
    and mom to Rod (15) not D

If I were in this situation, I'd pull him out of school until his D is under control AND most importantly of all, the school is properly educated and treating him respectfully and keeping him in a safe environment.

Like the others have said, contact the ADA and get expert legal advice. I'd request a meeting with the principals and staffs at both schools and have a lawyer present and record the meeting. Get everything documented.

Does he have any behavioral problems when his BGs are in range? I try to teach my son to be responsible for his own health and well-being and I know that he gets upset if he's denied access to the bathroom. This happened to us and I met with the principal and teacher and we are no longer having any problems. If they hadn't gotten it and made accommodations in a way that made my kid feel comfortable and accepted, I would've pulled him out of school in an instant. I told him that if he's ever denied anything that's in his health plan, that he has a right to stand up for himself and leave the classroom and go to the office. Our kids need to feel empowered, so that they can feel safe. If the schools aren't understanding and cooperative, they need to find out about what Section 504 is all about and face some legal action.

Rella, mom to Brendan -- 14-yrs-old, dx'd March '08 at 8 years old
    Navigator CGM: 11/08 to 1/11
    Dexcom CGM since 2/11, G4 as of 10/12
    OmniPod since 7/09

Help Cure Childhood Diabetes
    Facebook