advertisement

Thread: How many carbs in Sicilian pizza?

Default How many carbs in Sicilian pizza?

Last night Amanda ate a whole slice of Sicilian pizza..(guess she was really hungry!) ..I looked in carb king book but it only gave pizza chains and for regular pizza...nothing on sicilian pizza...(she drank water) So I tested her , and gave her 2 units ..At 10 PM she was over 300..and woke up cranky!~
    3 units of Lantus..an hour before. I dont think I gave enough dinner time insulin with the pizza?? Amanda has been waking up low..so Lantus was decreased again and I didnt want to over correct her..What did I do wrong?

Dinner time number she was 189..before the pizza...so I gave her 2 units cause I know it was more than 40 carbs in that big slice..its really thick!!

Is this the pizza spike I read about??? Reg pizza she is good ..this is first time she had sicilian.
    Amanda, Type 1, Dx at 13 mos. old, now 5 yrs old.
    Also immune deficient..IgA Deficiency as of 7/2010...

Pumping with Mini Med 522.. Pink... (Humalog)
    Sure T infusion sets....

Erica 21, Brandon 19, Ryan 11..all Non D.

Aidan does very well if he eats thin crust pizza or homemade pizza (because then I use healthier cheese, meat etc.), but if he ever eats a pan pizza, deep dish pr thick crust his BG is crazy. I always have to give him two shots to cover the thicker varieties. One small amount up front and one larger amount when I see the BG start to continually rise.

BTW, you asked me on myspace when Aidan was going on the pump......everything is ready to be turned in to our insurance company, once that is done, the pump will be on the way....now just wish us luck that he will wear the thing. This is a child that does not even like a band aid on him. LOL!
    Amanda

Mommy to two 'lil men
    Aidan, 7 yrs. old, dx on 03/07/08 @ 20 months old!
    Pumping w/ a Black Ping, 6mm Contact Detach
    NovoLog insulin
    Brenton, 9 years old, no diabetes
    "He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever."

Exclamation ICR math doesn't work when it comes to Pizza - at least for us!!

Pizza is one of the trickiest foods for some kids. If I give my daughter a typical piece of gooey pizza that is 50 grams in carbs for example, the ICR math might as well be thrown out the window for this one. On our last excursion into the world of pizza (about two weeks ago), I ended up doing something like giving her a bolus for the equivalent of 80 grams for a 50 gram slice, and a temp basal for four hours of .8u/h. She had insulin resistance all day afterwards and she spiked to a max of 274.

Now if I just dosed her for just the 50 grams and left her at her regular basal level for that same slice of pizza, I predict she would be in the 400's or higher. It was a nightmare, but I think DD is at the far end of the spectrum of kids affected by fatty foods. I have to be so careful and I'm always watching out for fat spikes. I just gave her baked breaded fish tonight, one piece, and I know it will cause a fat spike later. However, I can't give her cucumbers all day long, can I? We have a birthday party tomorrow - oh the "joy" -----NOT!!

ETA: Amanda, good luck on the pump start. Keep the forum posted.

Amanda GOOD LUCK with the pump...and I hope it all goes well I have a feeling we are headed for one soon too..
    Marsha...We had a birthday party yesterday too ..No pizza there thank goodness lol..

I have to call endo on Monday morning with morning wake up numbers for the weekend.
    I think 3 units of Lantus is the magic number for now!!
    Thank you for replying!
    Amanda, Type 1, Dx at 13 mos. old, now 5 yrs old.
    Also immune deficient..IgA Deficiency as of 7/2010...

Pumping with Mini Med 522.. Pink... (Humalog)
    Sure T infusion sets....

Erica 21, Brandon 19, Ryan 11..all Non D.

I know a lot of people here say pizza tricky with their kids, this is where some will 1/2 pre-bolus b/4 and 1/2 after.?...Em ok with pizza, we have NEVER bolused more then 40 carbs for a slice/square!! (usually 30-35 for slice/40 for square. Experiment to see what works best for u guys. Dont deny !!
    [FONT="Century Gothic"]Linda, Mom of Em- 18!! College Bound!! ; Dxd 10 Type 1;Dxd Factor IV Clotting disorder; dxd Dysautonomia; Animas Ping;

Mom of Drew, 13- No D; Musician; Honor Student

Wife to Steve 22 years and never had a fight

1 lovable Pittbull Harley[/FONT]

Hope this helps. Here is a website that has sicilian pizza on it. I don't know what size the slice was but this should help.
    http://www.coheso.com
    You can input the size, etc and then input weight and it will tell you the number of grams of carbs, etc.

great site!