advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do you bolus?

Default When do you bolus?

When we went to the dr she told me, we should be bolusing before the meal. Or at least giving 1/2. I understand why, Haley takes 30 mins and by then she is high and then the insulin has to fight the high. Do you really think it will help change her numbers?
    Kris- mother to 3 wonderful kids
    Haley-6 dob 9/24/03 diangosed 14 months 12/21/04
    Alyssa-13 non-d adhd
    Austin-14 non-d has a aerotic stenosis

pumping with mm522 (august 2006)

Quote Originally Posted by Haleysmom2214 View Post
    When we went to the dr she told me, we should be bolusing before the meal. Or at least giving 1/2. I understand why, Haley takes 30 mins and by then she is high and then the insulin has to fight the high. Do you really think it will help change her numbers?
    If you know she'll eat, yes it does change the numbers. We don't get highs after lunch or dinner anymore - do still have a breakfast spike, but it's gone by 3 hours past meal. Not fighting highs down all day if you prebolus. I give his shot right as he sits down. Seems to help.
    ~Alyce - The Mama
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    "The Boz" dxd T1D 6/27/08
    Pumping Blue Ping: Apidra

dxd Celiac 3/10/10

The only meal for which we sometimes prebolus is breakfast.
    All other meals we bolus after.
    Ian's a very slow eater, so very seldom I fraction the bolus as he eats, but I don't like doing this, as it confuses me (endo did suggest this though)
    Most of the time though, we just wait and bolus after, and so far it's worked. We've just taken the plunge and are more aggressive with the dose.

ETA - Ian's very unpredictabe though when eating.
    Last edited by StillMamamia; 11-11-2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: clarification
    Mom to 2 boys (6 & 8), oldest dx in Oct. '06
    Pump MM522 w/ Sure-Ts infusion sets since July '10
    Previously pump Deltec Cozmo w/ Contact-Detach sets

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." ~ Douglas Adams

I prebolus by at least 20 minutes - the longer the better. My daughter can scarf down her food in less than 10 minutes.

It makes a huge difference for us. I'm never sure how much Jack will eat, so I just predose the carbs for what I KNOW he'll eat and do the rest afterwards.
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)

We have always bolused before the meal.
    Stepmom to 14 year old girl and bio Mom to 12 year old boy.
    Stepdaughter diagnosed 02/11/2008
    Pumping with MM 723 Revel with Quicksets since 10/17/2008
    Started the MM CGMS on 02/12/2009
    Married 22 years - husband type 2 diabetic

Sandy

"God doesn't give to us what we can handle,
    God helps us handle what we are given"

I always prebolus at home but Tori is a dependable and good eater. At school, for lunch, they bolus after she eats.
    If she is high at mealtime, I will prebolus 1/2 hour ahead of time instead of 10-15 minutes ahead.
    Someone on here has a chart. Tells you how far ahead of time to prebolus depending on what the before meal blood sugar reading is.
    Lee?? Was that you??
    Deb
    Mom of DS Andrew age 13
    DD Tori-age 9. Dx'd T1 11/27/06
    Purple Minimed 722 starting 7/10/07.
    Minimed Pink Revel upgrade as of 7/29/10.

Tony's on shots so we wait till he's done eating, otherwise he'd get a billion shots-sometimes he asks for more and more food

Alison, mama to Tony (6 years old), diagnosed 5/10/07 at 20 months old on MDI, lantus and novolog. He also has hypotonia and developmental delays
    Gemma Lynn 9/04/08-tested for trialnet 8/10 results negative

on the pump it is so easy and I'm beginning to believe that timing is everything.

we pre-bolus every meal for 20 carbs and then finish up either part-way through the meal or at the end, depending on who we're talking about (Brian is more capable of knowing how much he'll eat), and what we're eating.

the only time we don't pre-bolus is if either child is LOW or AT 70, or is close to 70 with sensor arrows going down.

At b'fast, we prebolus by 20 - 30 minutes, other meals by 10-15 minutes.

try it. see how it works for you. Nothing is written in stone. diabetes is an experiment in progress at almost all times.

good luck.

Mary Lou

Mother of Brian, Age 14, dx'd Jan 18, 2004, pumping 4 years, CGM June 2007
    Mother of Andrew, Age 11, dx'd June 14, 2007, pumping the very next day, June 15, 2007, CGM June 2008

Watch Our YouTube Movie -- Brothers for a Cure:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5OCLgiDYE

I just received a newsletter from Erica's endo's office in regards to pre-bolusing. For those people that don't have diabetes, the pancreas secretes insluin even before they start eating (just thinking about eating causes the pancreas to secrete insulin). This is so insulin is already there when the food is being eaten and digested. As people with diabetes try to mimic what the pancreas does with their dosing, it's important to take insulin before eating. Makes for better A1cs. Of course there are exceptions for the younger kids.
    Carol
    Mom of Erica - Age 14, DX 10-20-05
    MM Revel 723
    Quicksets