advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growing and Puberty vs Insulin Questions

Default Growing and Puberty vs Insulin Questions

DD for the past couple of days have had REALLY great numbers compared to Sunday when she almost landed her butt in the ER with Ketons and High Blood sugar.

Today the nurse calls me with these numbers:

11:26 BG 64 - 6 Smarties brought her up to 75 after 15 min. Drank 1/2 of her OJ at
    11:55 she was 172
    1:10 Lunch BG 118

yesterday she had a low of 43 at 10:15.

Still great numbers she at 95 carbs for lunch.. And still insists that she is hungry..

I am not complaining about these numbers but I haven't seen such steady numbers in the 100's after different meals like this.

I have not gone through a growth spurt with her, but was wondering if growing and puberty changes have something to do with great numbers????

Britt even said to me yesterday that its been a long time since she has seen some good numbers her way.. Bless her heart.

Anyone with experience with 10 year olds please let me know.

Tracy
    Proud Parent of Spoiled Children
    Brittney age 13(dxd 1-19-07) Pumping since 6/07 Animas 2020 Nickolas age 8
    Married for 17years

Video:www.youtube.com/teambrittney

Can't address the 10 y.o. female aspect, but Tom's numbers are always lower when he's in a growth spurt.
    Becky Aussi L'Autre
    Just takin' it all in.
    T
    -T1 Dx 5/2/06 at age 13
    (MDI) CGM - G4 5/13

Then this has to be what it is.. I haven't seen great numbers even after she eats... But alot of lows will sure to follow..

Tracy
    Married for 17years

This is not the usual reaction to a low. But I have strong evidence that it applies to us! I usually have to adjust insulin downward...basal and bolus.
    Becky Aussi L'Autre
    Just takin' it all in.
    T
    -T1 Dx 5/2/06 at age 13
    (MDI) CGM - G4 5/13

With my 10 yr old, she has a two week period of lows and a 2 week period of higher #'s. Can you set a different pattern that tweaks the basals either up or down a bit if you notice a pattern like that. Our Endo said it was definatley due to growth hormones...
    I'm still here.
    DD - 15 - Lantus and MM Pump/Dex G4

growth brings lows but mensing brings highs. enjoy it now. Kat had one day of mensing right after she turned 7 (normal on her dads side). The 3 days before had a suck factor of 10 as far as her moody, irritable, temper and BS being HI. When it finally happened, it was like a wave of relief and the numbers came back down. I'de say watch for when puberty really hits and enjoy innocent growth spurts.
    Carolyn, age 41, Mom to:
    Katerina 10 yrs old dx'ed T1 @ age 3,on 9/10/04, Lantus and Novolog MDI
    Austin age 12, non-D
    Kaitlyn age 15, non-D, dx'ed asthma age 2 yrs
    Amanda age 18, non-D, dx'ed VWD, Type 2A 6/09
    Daughter to Linda, age 61, dx'ed T1 @ age 10, 1959
    Katerina at "Camp A1c at Cha-La-Kee 2010"

I have yesterday and todays numbers I will see what tomorrow brings.. I will be tweaking but I like the 100's and steady numbers.. no complaints here what so ever. However last week it was hard to keep her under 200... so maybe this is my week of great numbers.. only one can wish...lol..

Tracy
    Married for 17years

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    With my 10 yr old, she has a two week period of lows and a 2 week period of higher #'s. Can you set a different pattern that tweaks the basals either up or down a bit if you notice a pattern like that. Our Endo said it was definatley due to growth hormones...
    This is pretty much what we see. Sometimes the timing changes and number are lower for only a week or may be lower for three weeks. But it is starting to be a bit more predictable and I can count on having to adjust settings weekly.
    Heidi
    Mom to Samantha, 13, Type 1D since June '02
    Pumping with Animas Ping
    Sporadic use of Dexcom Seven Plus

She's a little young for puberty, but who knows.

I'd watch that tendency to go low before lunch..

Just a quick question - did you change your insulin recently?

Proud Dad of Amy (17), diagnosed Aug. 2006 and getting MDI of Apidra, Regular, and Lantus..
    and Sylvie (12); very happy husband of Shirla!

Quote Originally Posted by wilf View Post
    She's a little young for puberty, but who knows.

I'd watch that tendency to go low before lunch..

Just a quick question - did you change your insulin recently?
    No I didn't change the insulin recently. That is what I said WAYYYYY to young for puberty, however the nurse at school has seen girls at 10 hit it... OH Noooo.... I will keep these numbers for a few weeks even longer if they want to stay around.. I have an endo appt on the 7th and we will go over all these numbers.

Its weird because everytime she has waffels she stays higher around that time, and she had waffels and dropped...

Tracy
    Married for 17years