advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glucagon Instructions

Default Glucagon Instructions

I'm looking for an easy to follow info sheet about how to give glucagon. Does anybody have one or know where I can find something? Sometime this week, will I will be training one of my teachers how to give glucagon. I'm going my senior class trip next week for 3 days and wanted someone to know so I would feel safer. He volunteered/was volunteered, but was totally fine with it when we asked him. I plan on bringing an expired kit so he can actually draw it up. Just looking for other suggestions of how to train him.
    ~Rae~
    20, dx'd 3/1998
    Pumping untethered: MM 722 and Lantus
    CGMS 11/2007
    "Don't tell God how big your mountains are, tell your mountains how big your God is."

Quote Originally Posted by s0ccerfreak View Post
    I'm looking for an easy to follow info sheet about how to give glucagon. Does anybody have one or know where I can find something? Sometime this week, will I will be training one of my teachers how to give glucagon. I'm going my senior class trip next week for 3 days and wanted someone to know so I would feel safer. He volunteered/was volunteered, but was totally fine with it when we asked him. I plan on bringing an expired kit so he can actually draw it up. Just looking for other suggestions of how to train him.
    There should be detailed instructions in the kit right?

Seth 17, dx'd at 7 (shots for most of 9+ years, has been on the Omnipod/Apidra for 1 year)

Always always always....Trust your gut!:

My son's kit's instructions are in pictures and seem easy to follow.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

Emergency Glucagon Kit Instructions

1. Inject the entire liquid contents of the syringe, into the small bottle. (Liquid into powder).

Swirl contents in the bottle until mixture is fully dissolved.

2. Use the same syringe, hold bottle upside down. Put the syringe into the bottle and withdraw all liquid.

3. Turn the individual on their side as he/she may vomit.

4. Inject the Glucagon syringe into the arm, leg or buttocks.

5. If the individuals' condition does not improve, a 2nd shot may be necessary.

6 . Once the individual is feeling better, a snack with carbohydrates and protein is suggested.
    Laurie

Mom to Lia Grace, 13 yrs, dx 1/13/06 at age 5.
    Started with NPH and Regular, switched to Lantus and Novolog after three months and then started pumping after 1.5 years.
    CURRENTLY Pumping with the Animas Ping and using the Dexcom G4.

Quote Originally Posted by liasmommy2000 View Post
    Emergency Glucagon Kit Instructions

1. Inject the entire liquid contents of the syringe, into the small bottle. (Liquid into powder).

Swirl contents in the bottle until mixture is fully dissolved.

2. Use the same syringe, hold bottle upside down. Put the syringe into the bottle and withdraw all liquid.

3. Turn the individual on their side as he/she may vomit.

4. Inject the Glucagon syringe into the arm, leg or buttocks.

5. If the individuals' condition does not improve, a 2nd shot may be necessary.

6 . Once the individual is feeling better, a snack with carbohydrates and protein is suggested.
    Thanks, that is the type of thing I was looking for. I just wanted something short and simple and this is great! I'm going to edit it some, but it will work.
    The kit does have picture instructions, but I find them confusing. It also has detailed instructions, but who is going to be wanting to read a detailed crazy long instructions when a kid is unconscious or seizing.
    ~Rae~
    20, dx'd 3/1998
    Pumping untethered: MM 722 and Lantus
    CGMS 11/2007
    "Don't tell God how big your mountains are, tell your mountains how big your God is."

What we were told in the hospital at diagnosis was "wet to dry, in the thigh"....short and to the point!!!
    Sherri - Married to Jeff
    Mom to:
    - Lauren - Age 12 - non-d
    - Nate - Age 9 - dx'd type 1 9/28/07 Celiac 11/6/07
    Pumping with Cozmo since 2/3/09
    CGMS Dexcom 7+ since 8/3/09

The reason you just gave is why i tell people to PRACTICE with expired glucagons! Use an orange or somthing like...When Em went unconscious and seized my hub and I grabbed 2 glucagons and started the process (thank god he had gone over it with me recently)...He panicked and pulled too hard seperating the syringe and thought he broke it, he ran for another, I did it.

She did get sick upon becoming conscious right as the emt's arrived...
    was too sick to eat until at hospital (after vomiting) Please practice, go over in your mind and have loved ones do as well. offer expired kits to school nurse to practice, at least open and look at.

We heard a story of a local nurse not knowing how to give AND the emts were delayed...
    [FONT="Century Gothic"]Linda, Mom of Em- 18!! College Bound!! ; Dxd 10 Type 1;Dxd Factor IV Clotting disorder; dxd Dysautonomia; Animas Ping;

Mom of Drew, 13- No D; Musician; Honor Student

Wife to Steve 22 years and never had a fight

1 lovable Pittbull Harley[/FONT]

great! i like that too!!! Wet to Dry in the thigh!!!!
    [FONT="Century Gothic"]Linda, Mom of Em- 18!! College Bound!! ; Dxd 10 Type 1;Dxd Factor IV Clotting disorder; dxd Dysautonomia; Animas Ping;

Mom of Drew, 13- No D; Musician; Honor Student

Wife to Steve 22 years and never had a fight

1 lovable Pittbull Harley[/FONT]

Download The Pink Panther "Understanding Diabetes" book right here http://rapidshare.com/files/13668560...betes.pdf.html

On Page 44, there's extremely detailed instructions on how to administer glucagon. It has pictures and everything!

This is a printable version of the Pink Panther book, too!
    Young adult with type 1 diabetes

Default Here's a video on how to use it

Here's a video on how to use the glucagon

http://www.humalog.com/patient/hypog..._treatment.jsp

It's a little slow and perhaps boring but it has all the info in there, eventually.
    Barbie, Mom to Alex, 20, dx 10/05, minimed pump 10/06, dexcom 8/10