advertisement

Thread: Campbell's Soup - how to read the label...

Default Campbell's Soup - how to read the label...

Can anybody help?
    The nutrition information on the can of Chicken Noodle Soup says one serving is 1/2 cup of condensed soup. How much do we measure for one serving once it's mixed with water?
    What about making tomato soup with milk? Anybody have an easy way to calculate a serving/carb info once it's prepared?
    Thanks in advance!
    Heidi
    Mom to Oliver (12/05) dx 8/10/08 T1D.
    Lantus and Humalog, hoping to get a pump.

For the noodle soup, I measure the noodles (1/2c) and bolus for 10g per half cup (I think that's the serving amount). I don't count the broth since for us it's a free food.

I'm not sure about tomato, I don't have a label to look at.
    Diagnosed June '05
    Pumping since Feb '06
    Animas Ping
    Dexcom Study

My current position:
    CIO...CHIEF INSULIN OFFICER

"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect"...Margaret Mitchell

"Make it work"...Tim Gunn

Does it say how many servings are in the can. it should say. i would guess that it has two servings and that half that can would be whatever carbs it says. and as for milk it all depends on the amount of milk you put in. if you put in a half a cup. and depends on how many servings you give. if your child eats the whole thing you would cover her for the amount of the total milk that you put in. if you put a tiny amount i would not worry about it. i hope that makes sense/
    ]Proud parent of Shannon diagnosed 8/30/06 at age 7 -humolog & lantus and of Tanya (23) Megan (21) and Chris (19) and a proud Grandparent of Gabriella, seen here with my shannon.

Quote Originally Posted by wendyc View Post
    For the noodle soup, I measure the noodles (1/2c) and bolus for 10g per half cup (I think that's the serving amount). I don't count the broth since for us it's a free food.

I'm not sure about tomato, I don't have a label to look at.
    I do the Noodle soup this way also, since I figure that is where all of the carbs come from.

I don't know about tomato either!!
    Amanda

Mommy to two 'lil men
    Aidan, 7 yrs. old, dx on 03/07/08 @ 20 months old!
    Pumping w/ a Black Ping, 6mm Contact Detach
    NovoLog insulin
    Brenton, 9 years old, no diabetes
    "He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever."

If you are adding an equal amount of water to the can of chicken noodle soup then the carb count would apply to 1 cup prepared because you are doubling the volume of the soup but not adding any carbs.

If you are adding milk to the tomato soup then you add the carbs for the TOTAL amount of the soup plus the serving size of the milk .

So let's say for example there are 2 servings of condensed soup in a can and each serving has 30 carbs so 60 carbs total.
    You need to add a cup of milk to make the soup and the milk you use has 20 carbs per cup.
    Add the carbs for the soup (60) to the carbs for the milk (20) to get a total carb count of 80. Then portion it out so if you get 2 equal servings of the soup each will be 40 carbs (80 total carbs divided by 2 servings).

If you get 4 servings of soup because you have small kids then each serving is worth 20 carbs (80 total carbs divided by 4 servings).
    hth
    Karen
    Come visit my blog Raising Global Citizens

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
    ~ Nelson Mandela

There ain't no reason things are this way. music and lyrics by Brett Dennen

There just happened to be a can of Campbell's HEalthy Request tomato soup in the breakroom here at work.

Serving size is 1/2 cup (120 ml) condensed soup, about 2.5 servings per can. 17 g carbs per serving. So, that would be 42.5 g. per can

It says to add 1 can of water, the can is 10 3/4 oz. I would add 8 oz. of skim milk (because that's what we use and I know the carb count) which is 11 g of carbs.

11 g (milk) + 42.5 g.(soup) = 53.5 grams

If there are 2.5 servings per can I would divide the 53.5 by 2.5 = 21.4 grams per serving. (With the milk added a serving would be 7.2 oz.)

Someone correct me if I'm thinking wrong on this.
    Tammy
    Mother of:
    Sunshine, age 15, Non-D, other health issues
    CJ, age 18, dx'd 1-22-08

1/12/09 Pumping MM 722, Novolog & Quick-Sets

"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much." --Mother Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by CJ's Mom View Post
    There just happened to be a can of Campbell's HEalthy Request tomato soup in the breakroom here at work.

Serving size is 1/2 cup (120 ml) condensed soup, about 2.5 servings per can. 17 g carbs per serving. So, that would be 42.5 g. per can

It says to add 1 can of water, the can is 10 3/4 oz. I would add 8 oz. of skim milk (because that's what we use and I know the carb count) which is 11 g of carbs.

11 g (milk) + 42.5 g.(soup) = 53.5 grams

If there are 2.5 servings per can I would divide the 53.5 by 2.5 = 21.4 grams per serving. (With the milk added a serving would be 7.2 oz.)

Someone correct me if I'm thinking wrong on this.
    This is how I do it too (although I hate milk in tomato soup )

The only thing I do differently is adjust the serving size to match what we are actually going to serve/eat so I would divide total carbs by 2 or 4 (depending on the number of kids I am feeding) not 2.5 (the serving size on the can) because we're not likely to leave .5 of a serving in the pot.
    I never understood why the put 2.5 servings in a can....
    Karen
    Come visit my blog Raising Global Citizens

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
    ~ Nelson Mandela

There ain't no reason things are this way. music and lyrics by Brett Dennen

Quote Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
    This is how I do it too (although I hate milk in tomato soup )

The only thing I do differently is adjust the serving size to match what we are actually going to serve/eat so I would divide total carbs by 2 or 4 (depending on the number of kids I am feeding) not 2.5 (the serving size on the can) because we're not likely to leave .5 of a serving in the pot.
    Normally I would round the 2.5 down to 2 but was trying for an exact count.
    I never understood why the put 2.5 servings in a can....
    Just like hot dog buns....whats up with that?
    Karen

message too short
    Tammy
    Mother of:
    Sunshine, age 15, Non-D, other health issues
    CJ, age 18, dx'd 1-22-08

1/12/09 Pumping MM 722, Novolog & Quick-Sets

"I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much." --Mother Teresa

[QUOTE=heidilynne;245933]Can anybody help?
    The nutrition information on the can of Chicken Noodle Soup says one serving is 1/2 cup of condensed soup. How much do we measure for one serving once it's mixed with water? QUOTE]

Water = 0 grams carbs, no matter how much water you use. So, if you use 1/2 cup of condensed soup for one serving and add a little or a lot of water, it's still the same carb count.
    Amy
    Mom of Connor - 12, T-1, dx 11/6/06, MDI, Novolog & Lantus
    Mom of Grant - 10, impaired OGTT and positive for 2 autoantibodies, TrialNet Teplizumab study starting 8/4/14
    Brian (husband) is 41, T-1, dx age 15, MDI, Humalog & Lantus

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, 'What! You, too? Thought I was the only one.'" - C.S. Lewis

wouldn't it be nice if there were some consistency to labels? I swear, you need a degree in math just to figure out some of these!!
    Analisa---mom to
    Sam age 12 dx 1/18/06, pumping minimed since 11/06 CGMS 6/08
    Natalie age 7, non D who is a self proclaimed D expert
    Sophia Bella almost 3 and as spoiled as can be