advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Em's leaving for camp tomorrow and freaking out...

Default Em's leaving for camp tomorrow and freaking out...

She's wanted to go to D camp "alone" for a long time and tomorrow is the big day. She's never been away from us for more than 24 hours before.

She came downstairs a few minutes ago, awake and SOBBING, saying she doesn't want to go! I know she's scared and I told her that I will come get her if she doesn't like it there.

Is this normal? Or are we weird? WAIT--don't answer that! Just someone please tell me your kid did this and all was OK!

(And truth be told I'm a little freaked that she'll be gone 6 days but I haven't mentioned anything out loud. You all can deal with my hysterics tomorrow if all goes well. )
    ~Andie~

Wife to Bryan (BadgerMan) for 14 years

Mom to Elizabeth (7.5), non-D

And Emily (11.5) diagnosed 5/06;
    Pumping Cozmore 1800; Cleo 90 and Cozmonitor
    and using Navigator CGMS

Emily with the Jonas Brothers 7.15.08! <3

Andie-
    Been there, done that.
    Abby was away from us for the first time for more than 24 hours also.
    Granted people have different mind sets, and all camps are different.
    BUT our experiance...Abby ran a little bit higher during camp, they turned everything down a little bit, so she was in the lower 200's or in range (the higher end of "in range") and I was okay with it. They were testing a lot, eating alot, doing lots of activity, and mostly having FUN being kids, which TO ME- was VERY important. She met a lot of kids that go through the same thing she does, learned to be a little bit more independent, but mostly got to have fun while learning.
    I told Abby the same thing, I'll come get you regardless.
    They used different things to treat lows than what we did, they used a different meter than we did, she tried foods that she's never tried before, she made friendships, and she made it back in one piece.
    IMO- if you can get over that they won't do it like you do it, you'll love it, and she'll want to go back every year!
    I'll be thinking of you!
    Lanae
    Proud Mom of
    Tyler (19)
    Abby (10) dxd 1/07 Type 1
    Pumping w/MM522 05/02/07
    Novolog/Sure T sites
    CGMS- 8/11/08
    Hashimotos Disease 6/08

"Endless"

Quote Originally Posted by Twinklet View Post
    She's wanted to go to D camp "alone" for a long time and tomorrow is the big day. She's never been away from us for more than 24 hours before.

She came downstairs a few minutes ago, awake and SOBBING, saying she doesn't want to go! I know she's scared and I told her that I will come get her if she doesn't like it there.

Is this normal? Or are we weird? WAIT--don't answer that! Just someone please tell me your kid did this and all was OK!

(And truth be told I'm a little freaked that she'll be gone 6 days but I haven't mentioned anything out loud. You all can deal with my hysterics tomorrow if all goes well. )

Let Em know that when I went to camp the first time, I was scared too and did not want to go, but then when I got there and when it was time to come home I wanted to bring camp home with me. Let her know she will have a great time and she will meet a lot of new friends and be very busy. And give her a big (HUG) of encouragement.

My son has gone to camps a few times. The diabetics camps are the greatest because your child's diabetes will be watched by medical personnel.

The tough ones are when the medical staff depends on the child to do the care and they step in for an emergency.

You have to get through the first one and the others are easier.

The kids almost always have a great time.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

Tell her you come get her if she really is mierable but that from what you have heard that being scared is normal and all the other parents you've talked said their kids loved it even after being scared. I just picked my D up on Friday and she is 11 (june bday) and had a blast. There is so much to do that she will be fine after a few hours, I'm sure. I'd also speak with the head of the camp either before you go or while you are there and express her feelings.
    Connor dx 10/26/03
    Delaney dx 12/04/04 at WDW
    Kelley and Blair non D

http://thebetesnow.com/

Thanks for the comments and support! She is much better this morning and seems to be cautiously excited.

Amy, I never thought that a D camp would expect the kids to be on their own! I'll have to watch out for that.
    ~Andie~

and using Navigator CGMS

Hi Andie,
    The ONLY reason I let Alli go for that long is I met a gentleman a few weeks before the registration was due. He is a T1 and he told me that those were his best childhood memories. He said it was the only time he felt "normal". The best part was that he is still friends with the kids who he went to camp with. He is in his early fifties and said every T1 should go to camp! So I signed her up and she had a blast. Try to focus on how much fun she will have. I know it easier said than done. Just think of all the sleep you will get
    Judy

Daughter Alli-13, Dx'd Type 1 June 12, 2006 at 8 years old. Dx'd Celiac August 13, 2008 at 10 years old
    Pumping (Animas 20/20) 03/24/2008
    Dexcom SeVen Plus on March 30, 2009

Shared joy is double joy. Shared sorrow is half sorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinklet View Post
    Amy, I never thought that a D camp would expect the kids to be on their own! I'll have to watch out for that.
    So sorry! I meant camps that were for all kids. That is where my son had to be in charge of his diabetes. He has gone to Boy Scout camp 4 times and twice without me.
    Amy
    Mom to a young adult Animas Ping pumper and DexCom G4 user. 2nd year college student, now living in a co-op house. Dx'd over 16 years ago at 3 years old.

Andie, I was nervous just reading your post because I am such a control freak now with Frankie. I hope I can one day get to where you guys are now. I know she will have a great time!!!

Judy - your post was great about how much sleep Andie will get! So true! I can't even imagine...
    Kristin
    Mom to daughter, Frankie (born 12/05) Dx 2/4/08 and son Sebastian (born 4/10)

Pumping with Animas 20/20

Well, this morning Emily was much better and very excited. We arrived at the camp (this is a new one for us) and she was thrilled to see 3 girls and 1 boy who were familiar from other camps/D-functions. Her counselors seemed awesome, and by the time I checked her meds in with the medical staff, she was hustling us out the door!! So I think she'll be fine. I hope!

Now I just have to deal with 6 days without her!

Amy, I'm glad you didn't mean a D camp! That would freak me out!

Tweety, I am the biggest control freak ever. Well, I'm not as bad as Marsha (Twodoor2) , but close! LOL!!!! (Sorry Marsha, I just couldn't resist!). I never, ever thought I'd send her away to a camp alone, but the day is here and your day will come as well. It begins with little steps--sleepovers (I nearly had a breakdown the first sleepover), dinner with friends, etc. I guess it's all a part of letting go a little at a time, but man this is hard.
    ~Andie~

and using Navigator CGMS