advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Omnipod is giving him a rash, help!

Exclamation Omnipod is giving him a rash, help!

Hi there, My son has been on the omnipod since May 13th - He is very happy - no more shots and his numbers look real good. The only problem we are having lately is that he has been getting rashes (redness & itches). Any suggestions? Ideas? HELP!
    Mom of Chris (13y) - dx: 2/8/08
    [Omnipod user since May 13th (3 months after dx) and loving it!]

Is he using anything under it like Skin Tac? Did you get a chance to call Insulet? Someone else had a problem here. I think it was Lizzy731. I looked for the thread, but I can't find it. Hopefully she'll pop in or someone else will know.
    Holly
    Mom to CC ~ age 18
    Dx'd 01-22-07
    OmniPodding since June 2007

Quote Originally Posted by mompupo View Post
    Hi there, My son has been on the omnipod since May 13th - He is very happy - no more shots and his numbers look real good. The only problem we are having lately is that he has been getting rashes (redness & itches). Any suggestions? Ideas? HELP!

Well... I am a very good person to answer this question because I was in the same boat as you a year ago.

First try cavalon skin protectant (but in spray form only). And spray several coats, drying in between before you put on the pod.

If that doesn't work, apply a tape barrier such as opsite or tegaderm over the cavalon before putting on the pod. I recommend opsite (2" roll) because it is easy to cut out a hole at the top for the cathetar to go in. Count 10 lines and that is enough for the length of the pod. For this to work, you will have to put extra opsite around the adhesive strip after putting on the pod for extra insurance. Otherwise the weight of the pod will loosen the tape underneath the pod.

I would be suprised if one of my suggestions do not work for you as my daughter has SUPER sensitive skin and the cavalon works great.

Good luck

Elizabeth.
    Mother to:
    Bethany (born 8/7/04, dx T1 3/07, pumping with Omnipod since 6/07 & Guardian CGM since 4/08. Dexcom G4 start 7/2013) &
    Andrew (born 9/8/06, non-d).
    Wife to Steven since 10/2000

Quote Originally Posted by CC'sMom View Post
    Someone else had a problem here. I think it was Lizzy731. I looked for the thread, but I can't find it. Hopefully she'll pop in or someone else will know.
    Here I am!

Elizabeth.
    Mother to:
    Bethany (born 8/7/04, dx T1 3/07, pumping with Omnipod since 6/07 & Guardian CGM since 4/08. Dexcom G4 start 7/2013) &

We have been having the same problem, though more under the tape we use to help hold pod better. We use skin-tac, but with the sunscreen, sweat and dirt kids get into , rash seems to happen. Scott read that you can use unscented antiperspirant spray to help with the sweat issue. We use cortisone cream after removal. I was using a sticks to self wrap, then tape which let his arm breathe and the rash improved, but the s-t-s wrap would slide off and we'd lose the xtra support. Sorta a rock & hard place. Use as many different sites as you can to give rash a chance to heal between changes.
    Beth in MA
    Mom to Alex-8- DX 4/2/07, Omnipod 3/11/08

Andy-9
    Kira 4 yrs
    Wife to Scott(a.k.a Saxmaniac)

Quote Originally Posted by etringali View Post
    Scott read that you can use unscented antiperspirant spray to help with the sweat issue.
    Not spray. Although I don't see why it wouldn't work. Insulet told us to put the solid around the outside of the adhesive touching the skin and barely overlapping the adhesive. And to use a finger instead of the deodorant applicator.
    Holly
    Mom to CC ~ age 18
    Dx'd 01-22-07
    OmniPodding since June 2007

We solved this problem completely by using Bard Barrier Film Wipes under the pod:
    http://www.brucemedical.com/barprotbarfi.html

These look like alchohol pads, but when you wipe the liquid on, it dries and forms a
    protective film. The film dissapears on its own after a few days.

Here's what you do:
    1. Clean the site with alchohol, let it dry
    2. Use the bard wipe everywhere under where the pod will go, except do not
      wipe the area under the narrow end of the pod (avoid the area where the
      cannula will go in, and the adhesive around that area).
    3. Let the bard dry for at least a minute, then apply the pod.
    After the bard dries, it's sometimes hard to see where it was, so sometimes I make a
    very tiny little dot with a water-basd marker where the cannula will go, avoid using
    bard for about a 1/2" radius around the dot, then place the pod so that the cannula
    will go near the dot. That helps to insure that you don't place the cannula over where
    the bard is.

When we remove the pods, they pretty much pop right off with no irritation, and the
    skin looks like it was never touched. Some people find the pods get too loose when
    using the bard wipes, but if you're having skin irritation it's definitely worth a try.
    Dad to Leah and Anna, married to Pam
    Leah is 16, dx 1/1/2007 at age 8. Omnipod since 2007, Guardian CGM 2007-2013, Dexcom G4 2007-present. Sang the National Anthem at the 2013 JDRF Walk!

CGMS Calibration - DCCT: The Study That Forever Changed Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes - Improved Glycemic Control in T1 children Using Real-Time CGMS

Darryl and Elizabeth - do you use anything under the CGM? Jack's skin looks pretty bad where the transmitter lays. (It's almost like a red "outline" of the transmitter stays on his skin for weeks after we move it.) Would the Bard wipes help with that?
    Mom to J., age 10
    Dx 2007 @ age 3
    Medtronic pump and CGM (4/2008-6/2013)
    Tandem t:slim and Dexcom G4 CGM (current)
    CGM in the Cloud 7/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
    After the bard dries, it's sometimes hard to see where it was, so sometimes I make a very tiny little dot with a water-based marker where the cannula will go, avoid using bard for about a 1/2" radius around the dot, then place the pod so that the cannula will go near the dot. That helps to insure that you don't place the cannula over where the bard is.
    Have you seen a problem with inserting thru the Bard Barrier, or are you just being careful to avoid problems?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyegirl View Post
    Darryl and Elizabeth - do you use anything under the CGM? Jack's skin looks pretty bad where the transmitter lays. (It's almost like a red "outline" of the transmitter stays on his skin for weeks after we move it.) Would the Bard wipes help with that?

Oh definitely. Bethany had that same rash with the first cgm so I use a piece of opsite on the skin first. I cut out a small notch at the end of the tape and aim the sensor needle in the notch. Make sure the piece of opsite is large enough to cover the skin where the transmitter goes.

This will work great.

Elizabeth.
    Mother to: