advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Type 1 with no antibodies

I have heard that a lot, actually. I think it is interesting, to say the least. You dont always have to have the antibodies, and having the antibodies does not mean you will have loss of function of a particular organ.
    It is a good indicator. But so much is still misunderstood.
    Mary Jennifer Dean
    IV League Nurse.

Nolan, 11, dx'd at 7. Drumming fool and now learnign tenor Sax.
    www.sacwd.org

www.jendean.blogspot.com

Default Antibodies

Hi,

I also have two children with T1D. My eldest was diagnosed at age 4 and had the anitbodies. My youngest was diagnosed at 10 months with NO antibodies. I totally understand your grief at the 2nd diagnosis. It was so much harder for me to accept .. partly because of his age, but also because I knew full well what I was dealing with. With the first diagnosis you are so caught up in learning it all that you don't have as much time to think & 'grieve'. The second time around it just hits you like a tonne of bricks . This thread sure is interesting, as I certainly don't understand the whole concept of antibodies.

Tracy

Tracy

Hudson, age 6, dx'd 14 June 2007
    Animas pumping since 12 May 2009

Archer, age 2, dx'd 19 January 2008
    Animas pumping since 4 February 2008

Scarlet, age 4 months. Non-D

We also have two of three sons with diabetes. My oldest son was never tested for antibodies (diagnosed in ER, 9/1/06 with BG >600, large ketones, but no DKA) because our Endo said it doesn't matter if he has antibodies because up to 20% of people do not have the antibodies they have isolated as indicators. We participated in Trial Net, just because is was rather non-invasive and going on at our local hospital. I had two of the three antibodies they tested for, my husband and two non-D sons were negative for all. !5 months after being negative in TrialNet, my middle son developed symptoms of Type 1 and has since been diagnosed. Again, the Endo did not test for antibodies. -Allison

Morgan was diagnosed in March and tested negative to the antibodies. I questioned this and was told by his endo. that the antibodies testing is more of a screening test than diagnostic. He also has hypothyroid, but I have never asked to test for the antibodies for that. I don't know if they ever have I just know that the diagnosis was made based on TSH levels. He was at 20 something when diagnosed.
    Holly -- wife of Mike, 17 yrs
    mom of Morgan (13 yrs.), dx'd 03-17-08 type 1 D, enjoying the honeymoon
    dx'd w/hypothyroid 2006
    primary diagnosis: trisomy 18, differently abled
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/morganmccormick

"Each life and each death is a profound event, or no life--not a single life ever--was of any consequence. Everything matters or nothing has mattered." Burton Blatt

"Don't deny the diagnosis...deny the verdict." Norman Cousin

Quote Originally Posted by trickyw72 View Post
    Hi,

I also have two children with T1D. My eldest was diagnosed at age 4 and had the anitbodies. My youngest was diagnosed at 10 months with NO antibodies. I totally understand your grief at the 2nd diagnosis. It was so much harder for me to accept .. partly because of his age, but also because I knew full well what I was dealing with. With the first diagnosis you are so caught up in learning it all that you don't have as much time to think & 'grieve'. The second time around it just hits you like a tonne of bricks . This thread sure is interesting, as I certainly don't understand the whole concept of antibodies.

Tracy
    Yes, this is exactly how I felt with my 2nd child diagnosed. It makes me feel a little better knowing that other's don't have antibodies. I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but I figure you all here will understand idiotic paranoid mom thinking. I worry that one day they will find a cure and these antibodies will be related to it and that one of my kids will be cured and the other will not which for some reason troubles me. I have absolutely no idea why I have thoughts like that, but I guess it's just mom worry.

I also worry because I have 4 other children (6 in total) that with 2 kids with diabetes that one of my others will get it now too which is something I never used to worry about. Now, I find myself petrified any time my other kids have anything that closely resembles symptoms. Even being as aware as I was of the symptoms of diabetes I totally missed it with my second son. I couldn't believe in hindsight that I hadn't seen it. Anyhow, I guess this is long and rambly, but I always worry there might some day be a correlation to a cure and antibodies and that and with my second son not having antibodies I don't feel any safety net having my other kids screened for antibodies either.